Troubleshooting the HTML Notifications in Cisco Unity Connection 10.x
Cisco Unity Connection allows you to deliver the SMTP-based HTML notifications for a new voice message to the end users. These notifications can be sent as an HTML format embedded in the email via SMTP. The users get the flexibility to receive the HTML notifications that can include customized icons, header, and footer along with the link to access Mini Web Inbox. Mini Web Inbox is a player that allows user to play the voice messages over computer or mobile devices.
Ensure that you have taken care of all the requirements and checklist while creating the HTML templates. For more information on the checklist while creating and rendering a template, see the “Configuring User Templates” section of the “User Attributes” chapter of the System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection, Release 10.x, available at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/administration/guide/10xcucsagx/10xcucsag030.html.
For more information on ‘Must Haves’ for Mini Web Inbox, refer to the Quick Start Guide for the Cisco Unity Connection Mini Web Inbox (Release 10.x), available at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/quick_start/guide/b_10xcucqsgminiinbox.html.
Note It is recommended, that the Mini Web Inbox must always be opened from the notification email as it requires certain URL parameters.
When the HTML notifications or Mini Web Inbox fail to operate properly, use the following suggestions to resolve the problem
HTML Notifications Not Received By the Users
If the users are not receiving the HTML notifications, ensure the following steps:
Images Not Displayed on Microsoft Outlook
If the user is using Microsoft Outlook client for checking the email notifications and is unable to view the images in the notification, do the following steps:
- If the images are not displayed, right click the image and select the Show Images options.
- Make sure the minimum requirements for images to be displayed on Microsoft Outlook are met. To check the settings for Microsoft Outlook, see the “Configuring Microsoft Outlook to Display Images in an HTML Message Notification” section of the “Configuring an Email Account to Access Cisco Unity Connection 10.x Voice Messages” chapter of the User Workstation Setup Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 10.x, available at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/user_setup/guide/10xcucuwsx/10xcucuws030.html#pgfId-1099734.
- If the authentication mode is selected, then make sure you are giving the correct credentials.
- If the user enters wrong password thrice continuously then Unity Connection does not prompt the user again and the user must restart the Outlook. To enter the credentials and display the images in the notification you must restart the Outlook.
- When prompted for credentials at the first instance, if the user clicks on the Cancel button and does not enter Unity Connection credentials then no image is displayed in the email notification. You must restart the Outlook to enter the Unity Connection credential and view the images.
- If the images are not getting displayed in the email notification even after installing the required hotfix and Outlook has been restarted, then follow the below mentioned steps:
1. Check the version of MSO.DLL from the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSORUN on the Windows machine. Ensure that the version of MSO must include the fix. For more information on version, see the Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 hotfix.
2. After restarting Outlook, you must ensure that it is no longer running by ending any running process of Outlook.exe from the Task Manager window. The changes to MSO.DLL take affect only after proper shutdown and restart of the Outlook.
- Make sure that the registry entry for AllowImageProxyAuth was made for DWORD only.
- If the user is not able to see any images even after all the recommended settings, check the network connectivity of the Unity Connection Server with Internet Explorer by copying the link of the images and manually opening it over the browser. You can check the connectivity via wireshark captures and filtering over SSL packet flow over 443 or 8443 port for the communication.
Images Not Displayed on IBM Lotus Notes
If the user is using IBM Lotus Notes for checking the email notification and unable to view the images, do the following steps
- If the images are not displayed, right click the image and select show images options.
- If the authentication mode is selected, then make sure you are giving the correct credentials. For more information on how to select the authentication mode, see the “Configuring the Authentication Mode” section of the “Configuring an Email Account to Access Cisco Unity Connection 10.x Voice Messages” chapter of the User Workstation Setup Guide for Cisco Unity Connection, Release 10.x, available at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/user_setup/guide/10xcucuwsx/10xcucuws030.html.
Hyperlinks Not Visible in the Email Notification
If the hyperlinks given in the notification template are not visible in the notification, then you need to make sure that the HTML notification template in Cisco Unity Connection Administration has the valid HTML tags and all items (static, action, and status items) are given correctly.
For more information on how to define the tags and the items, see the “Configuring Notification Templates” section of the “Notifications” chapter of the System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection, Release 10.x, available at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/administration/guide/10xcucsagx/10xcucsag140.html.
Unable to Launch Mini Web Inbox
If the user is unable to launch the Mini Web Inbox, ensure the following settings:
- Confirm that under COS assigned to the user, Web Inbox is enabled.
- Confirm that the message for which you are opening the Unity Connection Mini Web Inbox is not deleted.
- Confirm that the user is logged in with the valid user name.
Unable to View the Updated Mini Web Inbox Interface in Internet Explorer
To View the Updated Interface of Unity Connection Mini Web Inbox
Step 1 Open Internet Explorer and then go to Tools.
Step 2 In the Internet Options window under the Browsing History section, click Settings.
Step 3 In the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings window, select the Every time I visit the webpage option to check the newer version of stored pages option.
Step 4 Click Ok.
Unable to Play and Record Voice Messages on Computer Using Mini Web Inbox
If the user is unable to play and record voice messages on computer using Unity Connection Mini Web Inbox, confirm the following: