Using Cisco Integrated Management Controller and Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility for RAID Monitoring and Configuring
This chapter provides information about monitoring and configuring your RAID controller in your Cisco Integrated Management Controller (CIMC) and Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility. The Cisco C-Series servers have built-in monitoring and configuration tools for storage, including RAID.
This chapter contains the following sections:
Note The tools and software referred to in this chapter are used only in C-series rack-mounted servers that are not integrated with Cisco UCS Manager.
Cisco Integrated Management Controller—Viewing Storage Properties
CIMC is the management service for the C-Series servers and runs within the server.
You can use a web-based GUI or Secure Shell-based CLI to access, configure, administer, and monitor the server. Almost all tasks can be performed in either interface, and the results of tasks performed in one interface are displayed in another.
The configuration information for CIMC is located in the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack-Mount Servers Configuration Guide and the Cisco UCS C-Series Rack-Mount Servers CLI Configuration Guide. For details, see the guide that applies to the release that you are using.
A complete list of GUI and CLI configuration guides can be found here: Cisco UCS C-Series Configuration Guides.
The following information is included:
- Storage adapters—Including all MegaRAID and Cisco Flexible Flash controllers.
- Controller information—that include the following:
– PCI information
– Manufacturing information
– Running and startup firmware image information
– Virtual and physical drive counts
– General settings
– Hardware configuration
– Error counters
- Physical drive information—Including general drive information, identification information, and drive status.
- Virtual drive information—Including general drive information, RAID information, and physical drive information.
- Battery backup unit information (does not apply to Cisco Flexible Flash).
Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility—RAID Configuration
You can use the RAID Configuration section in the Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility document to configure your system RAID controllers.
RAID levels supported by SCU are RAID 0, 1, 5, and 6.
The latest documentation can be found here: Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility, Release 3.0 User Guide.
If your system has multiple RAID controllers, Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility displays a list of all available RAID devices. This feature is described in the Server Configuration section.
Three types of RAID configurations can be set up using Cisco UCS Server Configuration Utility. This feature is documented in the RAID configuration section.
- Automatic setup with redundancy
- Automatic setup without redundancy
- Create custom or multiple RAID arrays