Software Licenses for Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
This chapter provides information about Open Source Licences and Software Activation for Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers.
Software Activation Overview
The Cisco IOS Software Activation feature is an orchestrated collection of processes and components to activate Cisco software feature sets by obtaining and validating Cisco software licenses.
Acquiring and Managing Software Licenses
To acquire and manage software license on your router use one of the following methods:
- Cisco Product License Registration Portal—allows you to manually acquire and register individual software licenses through a registration portal.
- Product Authorization Key—to interact with the Cisco Product License Registration portals you might require a PAK, which is provided when you order and purchase the Right-To-Use a feature set for a particular platform.
- Unique Device Identifier—performs license verification checks by comparing a stored unique device identifier (UDI)-a unique and unchangeable identifier assigned to all Cisco hardware devices--with the UDI of the device.
- Cisco Software License Validation—uses a system of validation keys to provide a simple mechanism for deploying new feature sets that offers Cisco customers increased functionality for upgrading and maintaining their software.
- Cisco License Manager—software application that lets you acquire, register, install, and manage software licenses on multiple devices on your network.
For more information on obtaining and validating Cisco software licenses, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/csa/configuration/xe-3s/csa-xe-3s-book.html
- Cisco License Call Home—interacts with the Cisco Product License Registration portal directly from your router to get, install, and manage your license.
For more information on obtaining and validating Cisco license for Call Home, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/csa_callhome.html
- Right-To-Use (RTU) Migration—migrates to an Existing or Lifetime RTU release and recommends steps you must perform before upgrading.
For more information on obtaining and validating Cisco license for RTU, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/csa_rtu.html