The Catalyst 5000 series Token Ring LANE requires the following software:
- Catalyst 5000 series supervisor engine software Release 4.3(1a) and later
- ATM software Release 4.9(b) and later
- VTP Version 2
While VTP version 2 must be enabled on a Catalyst 5000 for Token Ring to function, do not use VTP to distribute VLAN configuration information between the switches. Configure the switches to operate in VTP transparent mode and manually configure the VLANs on each switch.
When you set up a LEC, follow these rules and recommendations:
- Make sure you properly configure the LECS and LES/BUS using the ATM module command-line interface (CLI) for each VLAN before creating a LEC. VTP does not set up the LECS or LES/BUS.
- In the set vlan interface configuration command, the vlan_num argument represents the VLAN number to configure, and the vlan_name argument is the name of the VLAN.
- The VLAN name must match the ELAN name and the ring number must match the local segment ID.
The set vlan interface configuration command assumes that any ring number you enter is in hexadecimal. Therefore, 0x12 or 12 is stored as the hexadecimal value 0x12. The name elan_name local-seg-id segment_numberLANE database configuration command assumes that any value you enter for the local-seg-id keyword is in decimal unless you enter it explicitly in hexadecimal. For example, to define a TrCRF with a ring number of 12 you could enter the set vlan 12 name crf12 type trcrf ring 12 parent 100 interface configuration command or the set vlan 12 name crf12 type trcrf ring 0x12 parent 100 interface configuration command.
When defining a corresponding LEC, you could enter name crf12 local-seg-id 0x12 or name crf12 local-seg-id 18 because 18 is the decimal equivalent of 0x12.
- Before you can create a LEC, the TrBRF and TrCRF to which it will be associated must exist.
- Do not create more than one LEC for each TrBRF per ATM module.
While you can have only one LEC per TrBRF per module, you can have more than one module installed. This allows you to have more than one LEC per TrBRF, which means the switch can participate in more than one ELAN. The ELANs, however, cannot be parallel or the Spanning-Tree Protocol will block one of the connections.
Configuring more than one LEC for a TrBRF on a single ATM module will adversely affect frame forwarding.
- Ensure that all-routes explorer (ARE) reduction is enabled (using the set tokenring reduction enable interface configuration command) on the Token Ring module.
- Do not configure parallel ELANs within a TrBRF (parallel ELANs are those ELANs that form a loop between switches).
- Do not create more than one LEC for each TrCRF per ATM module.
A TrCRF can include only one enabled LEC from any ATM module.
An ATM module LEC is assigned to a TrCRF to provide connectivity to the ATM network. In this sense, an ATM module is a logical port within the TrCRF. When assigning enabled LECs to TrCRFs, the enabled LECs of any one ATM expansion module should each be assigned to different TrCRFs.
- You can change all ELAN names with the exception of VLANs 1, 1003, or 1005 whose ELAN names must remain default, trcrf-default, and trbrf-default, respectively. You cannot override the ELAN name for VLAN 1, 1003, or 1005 by using the name elan_name parameter. You can assign all other VLANs any name.
When you enter the set vlan vlan_num [ name vlan_name ] interface configuration command in transparent mode and do not specify the optional name elan_name parameter, the software uses the names in the table below by default.
|Table 2 ||Default VLAN ELAN Names |
VLAN0002 through VLAN1002
If you currently have a different ELAN name for VLAN 1 or VLAN 1003, you must change the ELAN name to default (for VLAN 1) or trcrf-default (for VLAN 1003) in the LECS database. The following example shows an LECS database configuration that specifies marktng as the ELAN name for VLAN 1003:
lane database testname marktng server-atm-address 47.0091810000000061705B8301.00400B020011.01!interface ATM0no ip addressno ip route-cacheatm pvc 1 0 5 qsaalatm pvc 2 0 16 ilmilane config auto-config-atm-address lane config database test!interface ATM0.1 multipointno ip route-cachelane server-bus tokenring marktnglane client tokenring 1003 marktng
You must change the ELAN name for VLAN 1003 from marktng to trcrf-default in the second and last lines of the display, as follows:
lane database testname default server-atm-address 47.0091810000000061705B8301.00400B020011.01!interface ATM0no ip addressno ip route-cacheatm pvc 1 0 5 qsaalatm pvc 2 0 16 ilmilane config auto-config-atm-addresslane config database test!interface ATM0.1 multipointno ip route-cachelane server-bus tokenring defaultlane client tokenring 1003 trcrf-default