Table of Contents
Cisco WebEx Social Server is a people-centric social collaboration platform that can help organizations accelerate decision making, problem resolution, and innovation by quickly and more securely connecting people to the resources and information they need to get work done. With it, employees can:
- Find experts, communities, and content from a personalized dashboard
- Share knowledge with individuals and across communities through a unified posting model
- Communicate and collaborate with colleagues in the context of a particular project or topic
- Work anywhere with full-fidelity mobile access
A premises-based platform with an open and extensible architecture, WebEx Social Server lets you take full advantage of your existing real-time communications, content management, and line-of-business applications assets. WebEx Social Server is a core solution component of the Cisco Collaboration product portfolio.
- What contacts are included in Browse My Connections in the address field of a Post?
- What is the Suggest Experts button beside the Tags field for?
- I get an error when I change the visibility of a post.
If you mark your post as a question, Cisco WebEx Social suggests other experts in your organization who might be able to help you. All you need to do is enter the appropriate tags or keywords and Cisco WebEx Social identifies some experts who you can share your post with.
- Restricted posts can be shared only with Restricted or Hidden communities.
- Public posts can be shared only with Open and Restricted communities.
As a consequence, in the following two cases you need to first remove offending communities from the post’s Shared With list before changing the post’s visibility. Taking both actions in a single edit results in an error message.
- If you have a Public post shared with an Open community or more and you want to make the post Restricted, you need to follow these steps:
- If you have a Restricted post shared with a Hidden Community or more and you want to make the post Public, you need to follow these steps:
- How does a post that is marked as a question get marked as an answer?
- Can a reply to a question that has been marked as answered be changed back to unanswered?
- Can a post that is marked as a question be changed to a normal post and vice versa?
A question is answered when one or more of the responses to the question is marked as an answer by a user who has edit permission for the post. When a question is marked as an answer, a special icon is displayed beside the title of the question .
A question can also be marked as unanswered if the post owner, or a user with edit permission, subsequently decides that the response given does not address the question. To mark a response as unanswered, find the response that you want to change and click the Unmark as an Answer link at the bottom of the reply.
Yes. Anyone with edit permission can mark a post as a question at any time by editing the post, checking the Mark as a Question check box and adding appropriate tags. A post that is already marked as a question can be converted to a normal post by editing the post and unchecking the Mark as a Question check box. Note, that a question that has already been marked as answered cannot be converted to a normal post.
- What appears in Activities?
- When I am visiting the profile of someone else, what types of filters can I create in their Activities?
- I have selected Cisco Jabber as my preferred chat client and nothing happens when I try to start a chat in WebEx Social
- When I try to start a chat session or click to call in WebEx Social, the chat session or call doesn't start in Cisco Jabber.
- I cannot call another user in Cisco Jabber when I have another call in progress
- I have started a chat with another user and when I try to start another chat with a different user nothing happens.
- I have selected Cisco Jabber as my preferred client and when I start a chat or call, WebEx Connect opens instead.
- I've selected Cisco Jabber as my preferred client and to launch automatically when I click to call or chat. When I try to start a call or chat from WebEx Social, nothing happens.
- I’ve selected Cisco Jabber as my preferred client but when I click to call or enter a number to dial I see a blank page and the browser address bar shows an URL like tel:<dialed_number>.
Some Mac users, who use Chrome as their preferred browser and select Cisco Jabber as their preferred client, may not get an error message if Cisco Jabber is not installed on their computer. Check that Cisco Jabber is installed when you select it as your preferred client.
For some users that have selected Cisco Jabber as their preferred client, a chat session or call may not start if they are not signed into Jabber first. Before starting a chat or call in WebEx Social, ensure that you are signed into Jabber. If Jabber is not open, you will be prompted to sign-in as usual when you click to chat or call.
If you start a second chat in WebEx Social using Cisco Jabber while another chat is active, the Cisco Jabber chat window will automatically be minimized. To return to the chat session, maximize the window and then proceed with your chat.
If WebEx Connect is installed on a computer as well as Cisco Jabber, WebEx Connect may open as the default client even though Jabber has been set as the preferred client. To use Cisco Jabber ensure that it is open before starting a call or chat or, uninstall WebEx Connect.
Some Chrome users, who have selected Cisco Jabber as their preferred client, may find that it fails to open when a call or chat is started in WebEx Social. If the Remember my choice for all links of this type checkbox is checked at any time and, the user clicks Launch Application or Do Nothing, Cisco Jabber will fail to open for all subsequent calls or chat sessions. This is a limitation in Google Chrome and is expected behavior. To avoid this problem, use a different browser or if you want to continue to use Chrome, edit the Chrome configuration file. To edit the file:
When a user refreshes a WebEx Social page or is redirected to a WebEx Social page, there may be a short delay while the user's availability changes from off-line to the previous setting. The user's availability for chat will remain unchanged during a page refresh as it normally takes a longer period to be logged out of the chat server.
- Why does my chat window close when I refresh my screen?
- Can I keep a record of my chat?
- Why does the cursor in the My Contacts search box appear in My Chat window?
- Why do links to other pages open when I am chatting with other users?
The Chat window stays open while you navigate to other areas of Cisco WebEx Social or use your browser for another purpose while you are chatting. By design, the chat window closes, and any chat sessions you have in progress are ended if you refresh the screen where you are chatting.
The Cisco WebEx Social chat window opens in a separate window and is displayed permanently on top of the underlying page until it is minimized or closed. When a user clicks inside the search box in the Cisco WebEx Social dock at the bottom of the page, the cursor may appear in the chat dialog box, if the chat window overlaps the search box. This issue arises for some Internet Explorer 8 and 9 users. To resolve the problem, manually move the chat window away from the dock to another location on the page.
Some users of Internet Explorer 8 may find that when they are chatting with another WebEx user, links to other web pages appear to open on their own. This situation can happen if the Chat window dialog box is positioned over a link or other clickable object on the underlying page. When text is entered in the dialog box, the underlying link or object may be activated. Internet Explorer 8 users should ensure that they have the latest version of IE8 installed. If the issue continues to cause a problem, users should move the chat window to another location on the page.
- Do other users have access to the documents and images in my library?
- When I add a document to an existing folder, does it inherit the permissions of the folder?
- When I add a file to a folder, can I share it with other people at the same time?
If you set the permission for a document to Public, the document can be accessed by others by searching for the relevant tag. Note that documents that are saved in private and public folders can be accessed.
No, a document does not inherit the permissions of a folder. By default, the permissions of folders, and any files uploaded to them, are set to private and they cannot be viewed by others. These permissions can be changed when the folder is being created or when the file is being uploaded. Permissions can also be changed later, at any time.
- I accidentally removed myself from a community that I created. Is there anyway to get myself added back as owner or administrator?
- Can I convert a Hidden Community to a Restricted or Open Community?
- Can non-members share posts with a community?
- What types of filters can I create for Community activities?
You can only leave a community you create if there is at least one other community owner of that community. You can request the community owner to add you back as a member or as a co-owner or administrator. If the community has an administrator, you can also request the administrator to add you back into the community as a member. Only community owners are permitted to assign co-owners and administrators.
Otherwise, contact your Cisco WebEx Social administrator who can add you back into the community.
- Why has the post I emailed to a Cisco WebEx Social community lost all the attachments and formatting?
- I have copied some content from Microsoft Office, which includes diagrams and shapes, into a new email and then published it to WebEx Social. The shapes are formatted incorrectly in the post in WebEx Social
- Why are there duplications of the same posts in Webex Social?
- I have published a post on WebEx Social using my email client. I have attached two files with the same filename and only one has been published.
- I attached an image to an email and posted it to WebEx Social but the image has not appeared in the post.
- When I hover over the email icon on my Featured Posts page I can’t read the email address in the status bar.
- Some of my email notifications from Webex Social have question marks in the subject line.
- Using Outlook, I replied to a message that had been published to WebEx Social, but it published as a new post instead of a comment to the original post.
- I published an email to Cisco WebEx Social but its content does not look the same in the post.
- I have added tags to my email but they do not appear in Cisco WebEx Social.
- Why has the subject of my email post displayed incorrectly in Cisco WebEx Social?
Email messages to Cisco WebEx Social that are sent in Rich Text Format and have a digital signature added to them, are created in the relevant community. However, formatting and attachments are not included. Users should change the mail format of outgoing email messages to HTML. The email is then posted with the correct format and all attachments.
Q. I have copied some content from Microsoft Office, which includes diagrams and shapes, into a new email and then published it to WebEx Social. The shapes are formatted incorrectly in the post in WebEx Social
In very limited circumstances, duplicate post may be posted to WebEx Social if a non-standard or non-compliant email client is used to publish to WebEx Social. This may also arise if a Lotus Notes user and an Outlook user tries to publish the same email to WebEx Social. This is expected behavior in these circumstances.
If you attached two files with the same filename to an email, WebEx Social will only publish one of the attachments. This is expected behavior in these circumstances. Rename one of the files and then send the email to WebEx Social.
Internet Explorer 8 users may find that the email address for featured content is displayed incorrectly in the status bar. Click the email icon and the correct email address will be entered into the address field of your email client.
If the language setting in WebEx Social is set at Russian or other languages that use the cyrillic alphabet, the subject line of email notifications may insert question marks in place of the cyrillic text in the heading. This problem is confined to Microsoft Outlook 2003 users, as the protocol used by Exchange Server 2003 does not support cyrillic characters.
Cisco WebEx Social displays the subject title of an email as the post title in Cisco WebEx Social. Tags should not be added within the text of the email subject title. All text that follows the tag is shown as a tag and is omitted from the post title. Only add tags after the subject title.
- Where does the email plug-in save my contacts?
- My email plug-in is not being updated automatically. How do I get the latest version?
- I get an error message when I try to upgrade my plug-in automatically.
- I have upgraded the WebEx Social email plugin. When I enter my login details, it says Loading, please wait and nothing happens.
- I've signed in to Lotus Notes and the Publish to WebEx Social icon isn't there.
- I have uninstalled the email plugin in Lotus Notes but the Cisco WebEx Social community contacts are still in my Address Book.
In Microsoft Outlook, the plug-in automatically saves your community and discussion category contact details in your Address Book in a folder called Collaboration Communities and Categories. In Lotus Notes, they are added directly to your Address Book.
Mac users who use Lotus Notes as their email client may find that the email plug-in is not being updated automatically. The latest version of the plug-in is always available in the Productivity Plug-ins section in Account Settings. Download the plug-in and install it.
In certain circumstances, some security software programs may prevent you from automatically downloading and installing an updated version of the WebEx Social for Notes plug-in. To proceed with the installation of the automatic update:
Some Lotus Notes users may find that when they upgrade the WebEx Social email plugin and enter their login credentials, the plugin fails to load correctly. Close Lotus Notes and restart the application.
In exceptional circumstances, the Publish to WebEx Social icon may not be available, if the user accesses their mail tab too quickly. Close the Mail tab in Lotus Notes and reopen it to make the Publish to Webex Social icon load.
- Why can I not see the My Contacts icon in the Communications Bar at the bottom of the page when I resize my browser?
- What applications can you add to Cisco WebEx Social?
- When I add the Documents application, it displays my full document library. Is there a way to only display individual folders on each page the application is displayed?
- What information does the Tag Cloud application display?
- Why has the People category disappeared from the My Suggestions application?
- Does the Suggestions application display restricted content?
- Why am I being redirected to the web site that I added to the iFrame application?
The applications you can add vary depending upon the page you are on. For example, you cannot add an application such as Voice Messages to My Profile. To see which applications are available for a particular page, click the Add Application icon and all the available applications for that page are displayed. To add an application to your page, drag and drop it where you want it.
The Tag Cloud displays all the tags you have included in posts, updates, and community discussions. The color and size indicate how often the tags have been used by you. The more frequently-used tags are darker and larger that others.
Cisco WebEx Social suggests People, Communities, or Posts that you can connect with and that may be of assistance to you. If suggestions are not displayed in any category, there are no more suggestions for you in that particular category at this time.
There are some sites that render your page unusable if you place them in an iFrame. Before you add an iFrame to any of your main pages, such as My View or My Profile, Cisco recommends that you create a new page and add the iFrame there first to test it. It is also recommended to test the application in all web browsers that you use because they tend to behave differently.
- Contact your Cisco WebEx Social administrator to remove the application for you.
- Sign in to Cisco WebEx Social using Google Chrome and remove the application.
- Sign in to Cisco WebEx Social using Mozilla Firefox and take these steps:
- The voicemail application appears to be recording although I haven't answered or I have declined the incoming call request.
If you do not accept, or you decline to answer, the incoming call request, the call will be routed to your voicemail and the voicemail application will record your voicemail greeting. To record a message accept the incoming request. If you do not want to record a message, decline the call and click Cancel, in the New Voice Message dialog box.
- Can I delete an update I posted to a community?
- If I post an Update to a Hidden or Restricted community, who is able to see it?
- Can a non-member create an Update in a Community?
- Are there any limitations to connecting to my Microsoft Exchange calendar using Cisco WebEx Social?
- I use a non-latin alphabet and the attachment names are not displayed correctly in the WebEx Social calendar when I set up a recurrent meeting.
- I set up a recurrent meeting in WebEx Meeting. My attendees cannot see the recurrence pattern or the list of the other attendees in the meeting details in the WebEx Social Calendar application.
- I changed the details of a meeting, that is one of a recurring series, in Webex Meeting and it is no longer displayed as recurring in WebEx Social.
- I set up a recurrent meeting in Microsoft Outlook for 10 weeks but the recurrence pattern doesn't appear in the WebEx Social Calendar application.
- I set up a meeting and attached some mail items (a calender event and an email message) in Microsoft Outlook. These items are not displayed in the attachments list in the WebEx Social Calendar application.
- I set up a recurring meeting in Microsoft Outlook and, for one of the meetings, the attachments are not available in the WebEx Social Calendar application.
- I changed the location of a meeting in Microsoft Outlook and it appears in the WebEx Social Calendar application as “old location - new location” to some of the invitees.
- Why are the attachments for a meeting I set up displayed in the meeting body in the WebEx Social Calendar application?
- I inserted an image into the main body of a meeting request and it is appearing as an attachment in the WebEx Social Calendar application.
- I set up a recurring meeting for a conference that is held every two years and it is displayed as occurring every year in the meeting details in Webex Social. It also has an incorrect end date.
- In some exceptional circumstances, recurrent meetings may not appear in WebEx Social Calendar
- The recurrent pattern may not be displayed correctly
- Attachment names that use a non-latin alphabet may not be displayed correctly
- Attachments may not be displayed for a recurrent meeting which has been edited or changed
- Changes to the location of meetings may not be displayed correctly
If you are using Microsoft Outlook 2003, or in some instances Outlook 2007, or Outlook Web Access to set up your meetings, non-latin alphabet characters are not displayed correctly in the WebEx Social Calendar application. The protocol used by Microsoft Exchange Server for these versions of Outlook may not support non-latin alphabet characters. You can access the attachments and download them, as normal.
The WebEx Social Calendar application does not display the recurrence pattern, or list of attendees, for recurrent meetings that are set up in WebEx Meeting. This issue affects the attendees only. The host of the meeting can view all the meeting details in WebEx Social. The attendees see this information when they join the meeting.
If a user changes the details of a recurring meeting (time, location, subject, and so on) using WebEx 11, that meeting is not displayed as recurring in the WebEx Social Calendar application, and the recurring exception icon is not be shown either. All other instances of the series of meetings are shown as recurring.
If you are using Microsoft Outlook Server 2003, or in some instances 2007 or Outlook Web Access, to set up a recurrent meeting, the recurrence pattern may display inconsistently in WebEx Social. If you want to see the recurrence pattern, look at the meeting in your email client.
Q. I set up a meeting and attached some mail items (a calender event and an email message) in Microsoft Outlook. These items are not displayed in the attachments list in the WebEx Social Calendar application.
If the details of a meeting (the time or the location, and so on) in a recurrent series of meetings are changed, the meeting attachments are not displayed in the WebEx Social Calendar application. The attachments are available in your Microsoft Outlook calendar. The attachments for the other meetings in the recurrent series are available in the WebEx Social Calendar, if those meetings details have not been changed.
If a user of Microsoft Outlook that is using WebDAV as a protocol changes the location of a meeting, it may be displayed in the Webex Social calendar application as “old location - new location” to some of the invitees (Microsoft Exchange 2010 users and some others who use Exchange 2007). The correct location is displayed to the host of the meeting.
Microsoft Outlook 2007 users may find that attachments to meetings are displayed as text only in the main body the meeting details in the Webex Social Calendar application. The attachments are displayed in the attachments list also and can be accessed and downloaded as normal.
The WebEx Social Calendar application cannot display certain items (pictures, graphics, screenshots, clipart, and so on) which are inserted directly into the main body of a meeting request. These items are called “inline attachments”. If a Microsoft Outlook 2003 user sets up, or edits, a meeting using Outlook Web Access and inserts an inline attachment, the item is displayed in the attachment list in the WebEx Social Calendar application.
If the recurrence period of a meeting exceeds 1 year (it recurs every two years or more), the WebEx Social Calendar application displays the recurrence pattern as “every year”. In these circumstances, it is not possible to display the correct pattern of recurrences. An incorrect end date may also be displayed. For example, Webex Social will display the end date of a biennial meeting (one held every every two years) that has four occurrences, four years after the date of the first meeting and not eight years.
- How do I know if the person I am calling has video calling capability?
- Can I change the frame ratio of my video calls?
- How can I improve the quality of my video call?
- How can I access my video call settings?
- Why cannot I change to another device to make a video call?
- Why do I see a white picture instead of the other party’s video?
It is not possible to find out if the person you are calling or the person calling you has video capability before making the call. Each video stream starts only after the user has opted to share video (in Cisco WebEx Social, click the Start Video button in the chat window). Note, that video calls can only be made if the device being used supports video calling.
The frame ratio is determined by the capability of the video camera you use. You may be able to change these settings depending on the options that are available. If the camera only supports a 4:3 ratio, you may see black strips on both sides of the video frame initially. When streaming starts, the call plug-in automatically optimizes the video ratio to 16:9.
It is not possible to manage the quality settings of video calls from within Cisco WebEx Social. Video call quality can vary depending on the available network bandwidth and other criteria beyond the control of Cisco WebEx Social.
Video call settings are available in the communications bar at the bottom of your Cisco WebEx Social page. To access them, first click the Contacts icon, then click the Settings icon at the top of the My Contacts window. After that, click Call and Conversation Settings. If call settings are not available, your System Administrator has disabled the call plug-in functionality.
Video call settings are available in the communications bar at the bottom of your Cisco WebEx Social page. To access them, click the Contacts icon, and then click the Settings icon at the top of the My Contacts window. After that, click Call and Conversation Settings and scroll down to the bottom of the Call Settings window. Enter your password to see the list of your available devices. If your device is not available, it is likely that it has not been configured on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM). Ask your System Administrator to configure it for you.
- The Cisco Call Plug-in (Cisco Web Communicator) does not load in my Firefox browser.
- I cannot send any video using Firefox. I see an error message from the Cisco Security Agent.
The Cisco Security Agent may prevent Firefox from loading the Cisco call plug-in following an installation of Firefox or when the plug-in is downloaded or upgraded. It may also happen when the user is making or receiving a call. Perform the following steps to enable the plug-in. Note, that if you may not see the dialog box in Step 1, proceed to Step 2.
- What browsers are supported by Cisco WebEx Social?
- Why can I not see my icons in the bar at the bottom of the page when I resize my browser?
- Why does not the email link in my Community work? When I click on the link to send an email, nothing happens.
Mac users, who use Google Chrome, may find that the email link in the Community Email application does not work. If you wish to create posts and contribute to discussions using your email client, right-click the relevant link in the Community Email application (see below) and copy and paste the email address into your email client address field. Or, you can use another browser.
A role is of a set of permissions given to users that defines what actions they can take and what access they have after they sign in to Cisco WebEx Social. Cisco WebEx Social defines a set of default roles (see Cisco WebEx Social Server: Getting Started Guide for the list), though System Administrators can create new ones.
- Calls are interrupted approximately every 60 seconds and I am not able to dial other users or phone numbers.
This issue may happen if you have selected to use Cisco Call Plug-in for calls and Cisco Jabber as preferred chat client, and have selected “Use my computer for calls” in Cisco Jabber. A possible solution to the problem may be to complete these steps:
- Webdialer Last Successful Node
- Webphone Key Accept Video Calls
- WebPhone CTI Password
- WebPhone Last Device Name
- WebPhone Last Line DN
- WebPhone Last Phone Mode
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. To view a list of Cisco trademarks, go to this URL: www.cisco.com/go/trademarks . Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. (1110R)
Any Internet Protocol (IP) addresses and phone numbers used in this document are not intended to be actual addresses and phone numbers. Any examples, command display output, network topology diagrams, and other figures included in the document are shown for illustrative purposes only. Any use of actual IP addresses or phone numbers in illustrative content is unintentional and coincidental.