Cisco Unity Connection

MCS-7815I-3.0-xxx1 and MCS-7815-I1-xxx1 (shipped before March 2005) DVD-ROM Drive does not Consistently Boot

Cisco - MCS-7815I-3.0-xxx1 and MCS-7815-I1-xxx1 (shipped before March 2005) DVD-ROM Drive does not Consistently Boot

Document ID: 68089

Updated: Feb 02, 2006

Print

Introduction

Some Cisco MCS-7815I-3.0-xxx1 and MCS-7815-I1-xxx1 servers, manufactured by IBM, contain a DVD-ROM drive that does not consistently boot a bootable DVD-R or DVD+R disc. But they do boot DVD-ROM discs. In order to resolve this problem, you first need to determine if the DVD-ROM drive is affected and then upgrade the DVD-ROM drive firmware.

Prerequisites

Requirements

There are no specific requirements for this document.

Components Used

The information in this document is based on the Cisco MCS-7815I-3.0-xxx1 and Cisco MCS-7815-I1-xxx1 servers shipped before March 2005.

The problem only occurs in servers that include a DVD-ROM drive model XJ-HD166S manufactured by JVC/LiteOn (JLMS) with drive firmware version DUS1. DVD-ROM drives for these servers came from multiple manufacturers, so not all machines are affected. Beginning in March 2005, servers are shipped either with updated firmware (version DUS2) for LiteOn drives or with different DVD-ROM drives.

The information in this document was created from the devices in a specific lab environment. All of the devices used in this document started with a cleared (default) configuration. If your network is live, make sure that you understand the potential impact of any command.

Conventions

Refer to Cisco Technical Tips Conventions for more information on document conventions.

Determine if the DVD-ROM Drive is Affected

Complete the applicable procedures in this section to determine if the DVD-ROM drive is affected:

Determine if the DVD-ROM Drive is Affected when Windows is Installed

Complete these steps:

1. Select Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.

2. Expand System Tools, and click Device Manager in the left pane of Computer Management.

3. Expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives in the right pane of Computer Management.

If the list of DVD-ROM drives and CD-ROM drives does not contain a drive model JLMS XJ-HD166S, this server does not contain a DVD-ROM drive affected by this problem.

If the list of DVD-ROM drives and CD-ROM drives contains a drive model JLMS XJ-HD166S, this server contains a DVD-ROM drive affected by this problem. Continue with this procedure to determine whether you need to upgrade the firmware.

4. Double-click JLMS XJ-HD166S.

5. Click the Details tab in the JLMS XJ-HD166S Properties window.

6. Click Device Instance ID in the Property list.

If Value contains DUS1, you need to upgrade the firmware for this DVD-ROM drive.

If Value contains DUS2 or higher, you do not need to upgrade the firmware for this DVD-ROM drive.

7. Click Cancel to close the JLMS XJ-HD166S Properties window.

8. Close Computer Management.

Determine if the DVD-ROM Drive is Affected when Windows is not Installed

Complete these steps:

1. Start or restart the server.

2. Press F1 when the "Press F1 for configuration/setup…" message appears.

3. Arrow down to Devices and I/O Ports, and press Enter in the Configuration/Setup utility.

If the value of Primary Master is JLMS XJ-HD166S, this server contains a DVD-ROM drive affected by this problem.

4. Exit the Configuration/Setup utility.

Determine if a Disc is a DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-ROM Disc

Turn the disc over. DVD-R and DVD+R discs have a colored dye (typically purple or blue) on the bottom. DVD-ROM discs, which are pressed rather than burned, have a metallic color.

Upgrade the DVD-ROM Drive Firmware

Perform the applicable procedure in this section to upgrade the DVD-ROM drive firmware on JVC/LiteOn XJ-HD166S drives.

Upgrade the DVD-ROM Drive Firmware when Windows is Installed

Complete these steps:

1. Go to the Cisco Unity Utilities (registered customers only) download page.

2. Download the self-extracting executable FW_DUS2_LiteOn-XJHD166S.exe.

3. Extract the contents of FW_DUS2_LiteOn-XJHD166S.exe.

4. Copy DUS2WIN.exe to a removable media or to a hard disk on the server that contains the unbootable DVD drive.

5. On the server that contains the unbootable DVD drive, ensure that the DVD-ROM drive is physically connected to the host planar board and that the associated IDE port is enabled in system BIOS.

6. Log on to the server that contains the unbootable DVD drive.

7. Run DUS2WIN.exe.

8. Follow the on-screen prompts. No reboot is necessary.

Upgrade the DVD-ROM Drive Firmware when Windows is not Installed

Complete these steps:

1. Go to the Other Cisco Unity Components download page.

2. Download the self-extracting executable FW_DUS2_LiteOn-XJHD166S.exe.

3. Extract the contents of FW_DUS2_LiteOn-XJHD166S.exe.

4. Copy DUS2DOS.exe to a 3-1/2" diskette.

5. Create a bootable DOS diskette:

1. Take a 3-1/2" 1.44 MB diskette to a server on which Windows is installed and that has a 3-1/2" diskette drive.

2. Insert the diskette in the diskette drive.

3. Right-click the diskette drive and click Format in Windows Explorer.

4. Check Create an MS–DOS Startup Disk.

5. Click Start.

6. Remove the bootable DOS diskette from the drive when the process finishes.

6. Insert the bootable DOS diskette in the diskette drive on the server that contains the unbootable DVD drive.

7. Restart the server.

8. Remove the bootable DOS diskette and insert the diskette that contains DUS2DOS.exe.

9. Enter dus2dos.exe and press Enter at the command line.

10. Press Y to continue.

11. If there is more than one DVD drive in the server, select the JLMS XJ-HD166S DVD drive.

12. Press Enter.

13. Remove the diskette when the application finishes.

14. Restart the server.

Related Information

Updated: Feb 02, 2006
Document ID: 68089