Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)

Cisco Mobile for Apple iPhone Troubleshooting FAQ

Document ID: 113139

Updated: Jul 28, 2011

Print

Introduction

Cisco Mobile provides iPhone users with voice over IP (VoIP) calling, visual voicemail, and access to the corporate directory while users are connected to the corporate network over Wi-Fi, either on premises or over VPN.

Cisco Mobile is an IP telephony endpoint that is configured in Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager). It is distinct from the Cisco Mobile application that runs in conjunction with a Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage server.

This document provides answers to frequently asked questions about troubleshooting Cisco Mobile for Apple iPhone.

Q. How can I make a Cisco Mobile Device available in Cisco Unified Communications Manager?

A. When you add devices to Cisco Unified Communications Manager, it is sometimes necessary to add a .cop file to the CUCM database. This step is generally required for devices that are not natively present in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager device list.

CUCM versions that require the .cop file include:

• 6.1(5)

• 7.1(3)

• 8.0(1)

• 8.0(2)

CUCM versions that do not require the .cop file include:

• 7.1(5)

• 8.0(3)

• 8.5.x

You can download the .cop file from Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator - Download Software ( registered customers only) .

Q. How can I make sure that the .cop file is supported by CUCM that is iPhone compatiblity with CUCM?

A. A single device .cop file supports all Cisco Mobile 8.x releases. However, not all Cisco Unified Communications Manager versions support Cisco Mobile 8.1.

Q. How do I register an iPhone on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager?

A. Complete these steps in order to register an iPhone on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager:

1. If Cisco Dual Mode For iPhone does not exist under the phone type, install the .cop file.

2. After you install the .cop file, reboot the CUCM server, and then restart the Tomcat service from the CLI.

3. Choose DEVICES > ADD NEW > CISCO DUALMODE FOR IPHONE, and add a new iPhone device.

4. Type TCT%USERNAME% for the name of the device (where %USERNAME% is replaced with the user's user ID, which must be uppercase text).

5. Set the Device Security Profile to Cisco Dual Mode for iPhone – Standard SIP Non-Secure Profile.

6. Optionally, if SIP digest authentication is desired, assign the SIP DIGEST user name from the drop-down list.

7. Download the Cisco Mobile app from the Apple App Store.

8. Open the application, and choose Enter Account Settings > Begin.

9. Choose Yes under User Integration in order to link your iPhone and desk phone.

You are prompted for your CUCM end user login information. Make sure that this end user is associated with both the iPhone and the desk phone.

Q. I am unable to pull directory information with my iPhone. How do I integrate corporate directory with a Cisco Mobile 8.X client?

A. In order to allow the Cisco Mobile client access to the corporate directory, you must add support for Microsoft Active Directory.

By default, Cisco Mobile uses these two methods in order to identify the corporate directory:

• Native Address Book on the iPhone

• Information passed by the service provider and by Cisco Unified Communications Manager

If you add support for Microsoft Active Directory, Cisco Mobile also attempts to identify numbers using the corporate directory.

Q. Cisco Mobile 8.0 does not complete outbound calls. The PSTN destination rings only once and then disconnects. How do I resolve this issue?

A. This issue can occur due to codec restrictions if Cisco Mobile is being used over 3G, as described in the next question. One possible adjustment which can help with codec negotiation on H.323 endpoints is disable the Wait for Far-end h.245 gateway to send capabilities option, and enable the Fast Start option on the Gateway configuration page of CUCM.

Q. Why am I unable to make call to Auto Attendant with my iPhone? There is no audio over the G.711u codec.

A. You cannot call the Auto Attendant, which supports only codec G.711. Cisco Mobile 8.x supports both G.711 and G.729 when connected to Cisco Unified Communications Manager via Wi-Fi but supports only G.729 when connected via 3G (GSM). When the Low Bandwidth Codec option on Cisco Mobile is set to ON, Cisco Mobile can use only G.729 and not G.711. In order to resolve this issue, set the Low Bandwdith Codec option to Off, connect via WiFi, or configure a hardware transcoder.

Q. What is the Email Provisioning Tool for Cisco Mobile?

A. The Email Provisioning Tool allows administrators to send a provisioning email to users, which facilitates installation and configuration of Cisco Mobile. Users download Cisco Mobile from the App Store, open the email created by this tool, and click a link contained in the email. Users are not required to enter any settings other than possibly their password. The Email Provisioning Tool is an open source tool, and it must be customized for use in each installation.

Q. What is the difference between Cisco Mobile and Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator 7.1?

A. Cisco Mobile is a dual-mode client and is primarily focused on employees who have access to WLAN infrastructure, either at work or at various remote sites. You need VPN on the iPhone to connect to the office when you use Wi-Fi from a remote location, such as a public hotspot or home. Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator 7.1 provides VPN-less remote access to Cisco Unified Communications Manager and, therefore, is best used for workers who spend most of their time away from the office and on other reliable data networks.

Related Information

Updated: Jul 28, 2011
Document ID: 113139