This article is one in a series to assist in the setup, troubleshooting, and maintenance of Cisco Small Business products (formerly Linksys Business Series).
Refer to Cisco Technical Tips Conventions for more information on document conventions.
Q. How do I upgrade my SPA9XX Series Phone firmware?
A. The latest firmware file(s) for the SPA9xx Series Phone can be downloaded from here ( registered customers only) . Firmware files are packaged in zip compressed format. Each file contains a windows binary EXE file, a raw firmware BIN file, a recovery tool EXE file, and a TXT file of the release notes.
There are two ways to upgrade the firmware:
Run the windows executable from a Microsoft Windows PC.
Load the firmware through a TFTP server.
Run the Windows Executable from a Windows PC
Complete these steps:
- Run the Windows executable file on your PC.
- Double click the .exe file.
- Read the warning instruction.
- Click Continue if you want to continue the firmware upgrade.
- Enter the IP address of your SPA9XX phone, and click OK.
Note: Do not power off the SPA9XX during this process.
- A progress bar appears that indicates the upgrade process. Click OK after it confirms the firmware loaded successfully.
Load the Firmware through a TFTP Server
You can also place the spa.bin raw firmware image on a reachable TFTP server. Open your web browser, and type http://spa-ip-address/upgrade?tftp://tftp-server-ip/spa.bin.
Note: Do not power off the SPA device during this procedure.
The SPA device can use HTTP in place of the TFTP method.