This document describes the process to dump the installation logs to a serial port on a virtual Unified Communications (UC) installation.
In order to dump the installation logs on a virtual UC installation, it is necessary to use a virtual serial port on the Virtual Machine (VM). By default, a serial port is not present when it is deployed from the Cisco provided Virtual Server Template (OVA file). Therefore, it often is the case that the first time you run into an installation problem and need to dump the logs, the serial port is not available. Use this procedure to add a serial port to the virtual machine and dump the logs.
Follow this procedure to dump the install logs to the serial port on the VM.
- When the VM is powered off, edit the settings and add a serial port to the VM.
- You are now required to attach the serial port to a file. Just attach to any temp or junk file, as this file is NOT actually used to dump the logs.
- Power on the VM and start your installation.
- When you are ready to actually dump the log files, attach a new, empty file to the serial port when you edit the settings of the VM while the machine runs. You do not have to power down the VM to change the file attached to the serial port.
- After the file is saved, you can open it with 7-Zip.
- After you have a successful installation in the VM, power off the VM, edit the settings, and remove the serial port from the VM.