THIS FIELD NOTICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND
OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. YOUR USE
OF THE INFORMATION ON THE FIELD NOTICE OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE FIELD NOTICE
IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS FIELD
NOTICE AT ANY TIME.
Updated the Problem Symptoms Section
Initial Public Release
EIM/WIM - ICM/IPCC
Customers who upgrade from E-Mail Interaction Manager (EIM)/Web Interaction Manager (WIM) 11.0(1) and 11.0(2) to (EIM)/(WIM) 11.0(3) might encounter Cisco bug ID CSCvc49947 in the upgrade process.
Java 8 uses Transport Layer Security (TLS) v1.2 (the highest level protocol available on host machine) in order to negotiate with the database server. Since the Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) driver used in the 11.0(3) installer contains an older sqljdbc4 file, there is a 5-10% chance that customers might encounter this symptom. This file is ONLY used in the installation process and does not affect or impact operations of production systems.
In the installation process, the installer might intermittently fail to establish a connection to the Structured Query Language (SQL) server. The 11.0(3) installer (and installer ONLY, this is not applicable for post-install production) uses a slightly older JDBC driver in order to establish a secure connection to a SQL server that uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. EIM/WIM 11.0(3) installs Java 8 which uses TLSv1.2 in order to negotiate the connection to the database server and because the JDBC driver contains a slightly older sqljdbc4 file, there is a 5% - 10% chance that customers might encounter this symptom.
If you are impacted by this defect, one of these issues might occur.
- In most cases, the installer freezes at a particular panel/splash screen.
- The installer prompts a generic error message.
If you encounter either of those issues, investigate the upgrade_installer logs located in one of these locations and look for the trace message.
Locations of Installer Logs
If the file server is already installed,
If it is a new installation:
The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "SQL Server returned an incomplete response. The connection has been closed.". <@>
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "SQL Server returned an incomplete response. The connection has been closed.".
Once you confirm the issue, follow the workaround steps in the next section in order to resolve the issue.
In order to add a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) parameter (Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1) to manually force Java 8 to use TLSv1 in the install/upgrade process, complete these steps:
- Do not proceed with the install, but simply keep the installer up and running until you proceed to step 7.
- Open a Microsoft Windows temp folder. (Click Start. In the Search field, enter Run. In the Open field, enter %temp%.)
When you run the installer again as instructed in step 1, a new folder is created in the Windows temp folder which is the extract of the installer. (The folder in the Windows temp folder is created dynamically with a name that starts with capital letter I. For example, I1483955861.)
- Copy the temp folder (for example, I1483955861) from the Windows temp folder location to the Desktop and stop the installer.
- From the folder copied to the Desktop, open the setup.lax file via any text editor such as Notepad or TextPad (for example, \Desktop\I1483955861\Windows\setup.lax).
- In order to modify the property named lax.nl.java.option.additional, append the parameter -Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1 to it. For example, if the property is:
change it to
lax.nl.java.option.additional=-XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Xss192K -Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1
- Save the updated setup.lax file.
- Cancel the installation.
- Copy the updated folder from the Desktop location to the temp folder in the Windows location (replace the existing folder).
- From the Windows temp folder, open the updated folder (per the example, I1483955861)\Windows. Right-click the setup.exe file and click Run as administrator.
To follow the bug ID link below and see detailed bug information, you must be
a registered customer and you must be logged in.
|CSCvc49947 (registered customers only)
||EIM 11.0(1) to 11.0(3) upgrade executeSQLScriptOnActiveDB failed
For More Information
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this field notice, please contact the Cisco Systems Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Receive Email Notification For New Field Notices
Cisco Notification Service—Set up a profile to receive email updates about reliability, safety, network security, and end-of-sale issues for the Cisco products you specify.