CiscoWorks CiscoView

CiscoView 5.x Frequently Asked Questions

Document ID: 6603

Updated: Jan 10, 2006

Print

Introduction

This document answers some common questions about CiscoView and describes how to troubleshoot common problems.

For more information on document conventions, refer to the Cisco Technical Tips Conventions.

Q. Sometimes when I try to open a device, I get an error message that says the device is "unmanageable". What causes this error?

A. This is the most common CiscoView problem. The problem occurs when CiscoView tries to open a device. The error message says:

device: unmanageable. This could be caused by one of the following:

(a) Invalid read community
(b) No SNMP agent on the device
(c) No response from device within 10 secs

This error message occurs because the device has failed to respond to CiscoView Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) requests. The 10-second response time is the result of multiplication of the Retries value by the Timeout value, as your Preferences specify. CiscoView has sent out the SNMP request three times and waited 2 seconds each time, for a total of 10 seconds.

cvtroub5x_1.gif

One of the reasons that CiscoView is not able to open a device is that the device is not reachable by the CiscoView server. Try to ping or make a Telnet connection from the server to the device to verify whether the device is active. If you cannot reach the device, you must fix this problem before you can use CiscoView.

Troubleshoot the Community String Problem

CiscoView cannot open a device if there is no community setup on the device. Make a Telnet connection to the device to determine the device community. For Cisco IOS® Software devices, issue the show running command. For Catalyst devices, issue the show snmp command. Look for these lines in the command output:

snmp-server community public RO

snmp-server community private RW

In this case, public is a read-only community, and private is a read-write community.

To make sure that CiscoView has the correct community, follow these steps:

1. Choose Preferences > Community, and choose from the drop-down menu the name of the device or IP address that failed.

cvtroub5x_2.gif

2. Enter the correct read and read-write community string.
  3. Click OK, and see if the device comes up in CiscoView.
  4. If necessary, click Preferences to change the default community.

Note: If you open the device through another network management system (NMS), such as HP OpenView, CiscoView pulls the community information from the HP OpenView NMS database. CiscoView does not pull the information from the default community that has been entered into the properties windows.

Q. How can I find debug information about a device that does not open?

A. There are two methods by which you can get debug information about a device that does not open:

• On a UNIX system, complete these steps:

1. Choose Device Manager > Administration > Cisco View Server Admin > Debug options and display log.
  2. In the window on the right with the name "Configure CiscoView Server Trace Settings," check the SNMP Trace and Activity Trace check boxes.
  3. Click View Trace. A new window opens that shows all the SNMP activity between the device and the server once you have opened the device in CiscoView. The file /opt/CSCOpx/www/classpath/cv.log logs trace messages.

cvtroub5x_3.gif

• In Microsoft Windows NT or Windows 2000, the procedure is exactly the same as that for UNIX systems. The file C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\www\classpath\cv.log logs trace messages.

Q. When I get an error message that says "unsupported device", how can I resolve the problem?

A. You need to install the latest device package. In some cases, if a device is new, CiscoView does not have the latest package to display the device.

Download Software for CiscoWorks CiscoView ( registered customers only) . Follow the appropriate device package installation instructions for your version of CiscoView:

Q. When I open a device, I get a message that says "unsupported module". What does this message mean?

A. The module-type devices often feature new modules. You need to use the latest device packages.

Download Software for CiscoWorks CiscoView ( registered customers only) . Follow the appropriate device package installation instructions for your version of CiscoView:

Q. I get an error message that says "no such element in array". How do I fix this problem?

A. This error occurs when the device package that you have installed does not recognize the device. This problem usually happens when you try to use an early version of CiscoView (such as 4.1 or 4.2) to open a new type of device. Download Software for CiscoWorks CiscoView ( registered customers only) . If the latest package for this type of device does not help, upgrade to CiscoView 5.3.

Q. What devices have support in CiscoView 5.x?

A. Download Software for CiscoWorks CiscoView ( registered customers only) .

Q. How do I install the CiscoView 5.x device package that I downloaded?

A. Download Software for CiscoWorks CiscoView ( registered customers only) . Follow the instructions in the CiscoWorks Software - CiscoView 5.x Device Package Installation Instructions ( registered customers only) .

Q. How do I verify the device package version that I have installed?

A. Click About. This action opens a new window that lists the device packages with current installation and the version numbers.

cvtroub5x_4.gif

Related Information

Updated: Jan 10, 2006
Document ID: 6603