Video conference technology connects two or more people at different sites in a virtual meeting using video and audio. Typically, each video conference participant uses a webcam, computer, and broadband Internet connection to join the meeting. Users can also share documents, whiteboards, and other information.
But a typical video conference can be difficult to set up. Movements and images often transmit poorly, making it difficult to accurately read facial expressions. The typical video conference is also marred by inferior audio and unstable connections between participants that can drop calls unexpectedly. Because of these disadvantages, many businesses have opted not to video conference.
At the consumer level, video conferencing systems have improved somewhat in recent years. But for enterprises, the technology has evolved dramatically into an entirely new category: telepresence.
From Video Conference to Cisco TelePresence
Cisco TelePresence systems create a realistic, "in-person" meeting experience, delivering real-time, face-to-face interactions between people seated around a "virtual table" in a Cisco TelePresence conference room. Participants are represented by life-size, high-definition images and high-quality audio, rather than poor sound and the unclear images that are displayed on computer screens during a conventional video conference.
Freed from the barriers of standard video conference technology, Cisco TelePresence meeting attendees can communicate more clearly and effectively. The improved meeting experience facilitates a deeper level of understanding between participants that is not possible with voice or traditional video conferencing.
Benefits of Cisco TelePresence
Cisco TelePresence can transform your business in many ways:
- Enhanced customer relationships. You can invite more customers to participate in virtual meetings with experts from your team, improving the flow of information and quality of interaction. Find out how Cisco supports virtual meetings with its customers.
- Faster decision making and sales cycles. By bringing teams together easily and cost-effectively, your workforce collaboration improves significantly. This helps accelerate business decisions and sales cycles.
- Increased employee productivity. Because employees do not have to spend hours or days traveling, they can increase their availability and productivity for more important tasks, such as customer meetings.
- Reduced travel costs. The high-quality meetings delivered by Cisco TelePresence let you connect more participants in more locations without the expense of travel. Reduced travel can help enterprises save an estimated US$20 million annually.
- Cisco TelePresence is built on the open standard for communications, Internet Protocol (IP). For maximum productivity, Cisco TelePresence is integrated with a comprehensive Cisco Unified Communications system that runs on the same network as your voice, video, data, and mobility solutions.
- Cisco TelePresence is integrated with the groupware that enterprise employees use daily, such as Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes. This makes it easy to schedule meetings and access corporate information during conferences.