Create Dynamic Customer Experiences
To meet customer demand for new capabilities and higher quality, service providers need state-of-the-art video head-end solutions. They also need broad expertise to help ensure that analog, digital, and IP technologies interoperate to deliver a high-quality, highly reliable experience.
With more than 55 years experience supporting the world's largest and most successful video networks, Cisco provides a complete head-end solution. The Cisco IPTV head-end solution addresses all aspects of a next-generation video service, including:
- Acquisition and conversion of video from a wide range of sources, including satellite, off-air, and fiber
- Advanced processing of video signals, including grooming, multiplexing, transrating, and ad insertion
- Best-in-class MPEG-2 and MPEG-4/AVC encoding to deliver better picture quality using less bandwidth
- Single-screen management with the ROSA management system
- Comprehensive integration, consulting, and support services
- Personalized content distribution through the Cisco Content Delivery System (CDS), a comprehensive framework for delivering on-demand and time-shifted content, targeted ad insertion, and other advanced video services
Cisco IPTV Head-End Architecture
The IPTV head-end encompasses solutions to acquire, process, encode, and manage video content (Figure 1). Each of these areas presents unique challenges that must be addressed to create a high-quality media experience. Cisco can provide in-house engineering expertise across the full spectrum of video head-end technologies to deliver a comprehensive solution that is optimized for a carrier's unique offering. With more than 1,000 Cisco digital head-ends and more than 10,000 uplink channels deployed worldwide, Cisco provides proven head-end solutions.
Figure 1. Cisco IPTV Head-End Sample Architecture
Click to enlarge image
Cisco head-ends provide:
- Award-winning MPEG-4 AVC encoders: IPTV access networks, especially those relying on digital subscriber line (DSL) connections, may have limited bandwidth, so IPTV solutions must combine excellent video quality with exceptional bandwidth efficiency. Cisco video encoders deliver:
- High video quality using single-slice processing
- Higher bandwidth efficiency using PreSightPlus algorithms
- Proven video performance and flexibility with an extensive MPEG-4 AVC tool set
- Superior scalability and flexibility: Cisco offers supremely scalable head-ends that are capable of supporting millions of subscribers. Cisco head-ends can also easily integrate with new applications and features over time without requiring a major upgrade.
Cisco Content Delivery System
The Cisco Content Delivery System is composed of networked Cisco Content Delivery Engines. Each is optimized for one or more tasks such as content ingest, storage, caching, personalization, or streaming. These Content Delivery Engines can be grouped into arrays, and function as a single logical system (Figure 2). As a result, the Cisco CDS functions as a true video network - not just a video server. It takes advantage of the same IP networking concepts that allow the Internet to efficiently scale from a few servers to millions, and provides effectively unlimited video storage and streaming capacity.
Figure 2. Cisco CDS Architecture
Click to enlarge image
Cisco DCM Series 9900-Digital Content Manager
Employ industry-leading transrating and re/muxing capabilities, advanced ad insertion, and unmatched performance and efficiency with this compact MPEG processing platform.
Cisco D9034-S Encoder
Deliver high-quality MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 video with a feature-rich encoder platform designed to optimize bandwidth utilization in digital transmission systems.
Cisco D9054 HDTV Encoder
Employ Advanced Compression Engine (ACE) technology and the PreSightPlus architecture to deliver superior picture quality and excellent bandwidth efficiency.