Groundbreaking Test Results
New social and visual networking trends—including online video and mobile applications, IPTV, video on demand, and TelePresence—are responsible for the soaring growth of video. As a result, service providers that want to increase differentiation and revenue are transitioning to intelligent IP-based infrastructures that are optimized for video delivery, or medianets. In their journey to become "experience providers,” medianets offer improved scalability and manageability to help service providers deliver video-based services more profitably and with unmatched quality of experience (QoE) to millions of users.
Cisco recently participated in the world’s first independently conducted mega test by European Advanced Network Test Center (EANTC). The mega test challenged a vendor’s IP infrastructure—including data center, core, edge, aggregation and access—with simulated support.
Highlights from the test results include:
IP Next-Generation Network:
- Two million emulated IP video subscribers with QoS: Highest ever tested in the industry with a myriad of video applications (IPTV, digital signage, TelePresence) and larger than most carrier metro deployments today
- 160 Gbps/slot wire-rate performance tested for Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers: Highest per slot edge capacity ever tested in the industry
- 8000+ Multicast groups per Cisco 7600 Series Router interface: Highest ever tested in the industry to support future growth of subscribers and channels
- 40G per slot Vidmon performance on Cisco 7600 Series Router: Highest ever tested in the industry; compressed and uncompressed video
- Eight visual experiences which are personal, social, and interactive, creating new monetization opportunities for service providers
- Across Telcos and MSOs (IPTV over DOCSIS 3.0)
Unified Service Delivery:
- Secure network virtualization with Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System (SDR) and Nexus 7000 Series Switches (VDC)
- Zero-touch reconfiguration: Virtual machine portability using Nexus 1000v and VMWare
- Zero packet loss during in-service NX-OS upgrade at data center core – Nexus 7000