A Whole New Level of Worker Mobility
Basic mobile connectivity for employees using personal devices has been around for a while, bringing both benefits and limitations. On top of that, something better is coming to life: the concept of a full-blown mobile workspace. The idea is that employees can securely access their full set of work apps and experience them in a similar way on any device, from anywhere. So they get a whole new level of satisfaction and productivity.
What do we mean? Well, the status quo for supporting mobility to date has typically looked something like this:
● Fragmented. Mobility has crept into the enterprise as a piecemeal exercise. It has resulted in different user capabilities, depending on the device and operating system in each user’s hand. The differences have grown particularly apparent since bring-your-own-device (BYOD) has entered the picture. In other words, users have been able to connect when mobile. But once connected, what work-related tasks they can do is limited and varies. That can be frustrating and unproductive. It also impacts the way users can collaborate and respond to colleagues and customers.
● No one size fits all. Trying to make employees’ mobile experiences full-featured and consistent has meant delivering a broad set of applications and services to a wide variety of devices. Employees have differing workstyles, depending on whether they are sales managers, executives, doctors, teachers, call agents, mobile field workers, or something else. You need to build a flexible mobility infrastructure platform to support them all. Easier said than done. There are multiple approaches to delivering mobile applications, and no one model will support all your business and user experience requirements.
● App delivery methods a question mark. You might still be evaluating which apps should run natively, which should run in a browser environment, or a hybrid of both. Which should use application or desktop virtualization? Which should be delivered from the cloud in a software-as-a-service (SaaS) model? Each approach has pros, cons, and tradeoffs. And your choices will depend on factors like user experience, security, cost, back-end integration, and time to market.
For example, native apps provide a great user experience. Yet they have relied on off-the shelf apps or investment in complex application development and maintenance work across iOS, Android, Mac OS-X, Windows, and other platforms. They also often require additional integration work with your existing systems. That’s a big investment in time and money when the competitive clock is ticking.
Meanwhile browser-based HTML5 offers a develop once approach across all devices, but doesn't always fulfill user experience requirements.
As another alternative, you can turn to virtual apps that allow you to quickly support any Windows app on any device, securely from the data center. But they don’t always provide the user experience your employees have come to expect from mobile native apps.
So inevitably, you’re very likely to end up with a mix of app models, which each make unique demands on your mobility infrastructure. Cisco® Mobile Workspace Solution provides the complete architecture stack and freedom you need to support them all. And with the security you need and the user experience your employees have come to expect. Now you can accelerate and prioritize delivering these apps so you can fully mobilize your workers.
What Is Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution?
Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution is a mobility architecture that includes hardware and software from Cisco and third parties. The first release of the solution has been developed jointly with Citrix. It’s already integrated for you, validated and tested to work together. So it simplifies your projects and allows you to make users fully mobile in a snap. Figure 1 outlines the modular solution along with its benefits for IT.
How does this all translate into your everyday life?
● Employee experiences become full-featured and consistent. Employees carrying any type of mobile device simply access all their apps and documents wherever they go. They experience all their applications and communication services in a way that best suits the different device form factors. They become fully productive, collaborative, and responsive regardless of device and operating system. They get a consistent experience, no matter if apps are native, browser-based, delivered as a virtualized app, hosted in the cloud, or something else.
● We handle the integration hassle. Cisco has taken on the daunting cross-technology integration burden that transcends IT organizational boundaries. Our solution integrates a broad set of Cisco technologies, including networking, policy, security, collaboration, and data center. Then we integrate our partners’ leading tools for mobility management. These tools include mobile device management (MDM), mobile app management (MAM), mobile information management (MIM), app and desktop virtualization, enterprise app stores (EASs), and other mobility functions. The benefit: we bring them together and handle the backend integration job for you. You get the mobility platform you need, already integrated into one well-oiled solution that just works for all your worker use cases.
● Modularity. Most importantly, the solution is modular. That means you can deploy it incrementally at a pace that meets your specific needs and addresses your employees’ use case priorities.
Who Cares? IT. The Business. And Users, Too.
It’s no secret that mobility has evolved into a top priority for most organizations. In a recent survey of 400 global IT executives, Accenture found that 73 percent feel that mobility affects a business as much as the web. And 75 percent list mobility among their top five priorities.
By 2017, 650 million mobile devices will be used in the workplace on corporate networks, according to IDC Research. IT must build an infrastructure to support and manage this deluge of devices and the fast growing set of rich business apps they run. It must secure data and applications on all mobile devices - regardless of who owns them and controls them.
● A day in an employee’s life. For example, a sales representative will use a variety of different devices throughout her day. She might start by checking her email and calendar on her personal smartphone from home. Once at work, she easily registers her new iPad for secure access to the corporate network and automatically downloads her business applications. She next attends the weekly sales video conference on her iPad. While in the office, she sits at a flexible workspace and logs onto a virtual desktop terminal to complete her customer presentation. And then she leaves for client meetings, her iPad in hand, so she can share her presentation and show the latest product demos. Once home, she uses her personal laptop to complete her reports and attend one final meeting before calling it a day. The business must be able to deliver her workspace consistently across all her various devices.
● Beyond BYOD. This is why organizations want more than a way to just identify and onboard devices. They want an integrated mobility solution that gets mobile workers up, out the door, and productive. Typically, you would have to identify multiple vendors and tools and possibly take on a massive integration job. The Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution removes much of that complexity and expense. Regardless of the number and types of devices you must support. And no matter if they are employee-owned or corporate-issued.
Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution is business-ready and lets you support all of these scenarios. Now you can accommodate diverse workstyles, support business processes, and enforce internal policies and industry regulatory requirements with one mobility solution.
What’s in It for Your Organization
Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution gives you a simpler and faster route to mobility and investment protection than integrating separate tools and platforms. And you can deliver a superior user experience. Users have consistent, secure access to their applications, content, and communications. It doesn’t matter if your network is wired or wireless. Files, applications, video, voice, IM, and presence are supported across platforms with a combination of native, web, virtual, and cloud-based applications. Self-service features and task automation make it easy to be productive immediately, without IT intervention. Users don’t have to worry about the magic behind the curtain.
What’s in It for IT
Validated designs, services, and a solution roadmap combine Cisco network, security, collaboration, data center, and management technologies with partner technologies and solutions. The first release of the solution, Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution with Citrix, combines innovative, proven technologies from two technology leaders. The platform is built on the Cisco wired and wireless Unified Access infrastructure, which has been ranked by Gartner as the leading technology in the industry. And it is currently the only mobility solution on the market that can give you a single source of policy management and enforcement from anywhere across your entire organization.
Citrix is a leader in mobility management and virtualization technologies. Citrix contributes MDM, MAM, and mobile content management capabilities to Mobile Workspace, together with its leading application and desktop virtualization. The result? A ready-made mobile workspace solution that opens doors for users while alleviating multivendor buying, management, integration, and technology roadmap headaches. Specifically, you get the following:
Integration extends not only across mobile software components, but across network infrastructure elements, back-end servers, and data, too. Cisco Mobile Workspace with Citrix, for example, merges Citrix XenMobile MDM directly with Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE), Microsoft Active Directory, public-key infrastructure (PKI), and security event management tools. These pieces all automatically talk to each other. So your new mobile apps can exploit back-end app and infrastructure data for additional capabilities. Users get single sign-on. You’re now managing a holistic mobile entity, rather than seeing multiple isolated views that you have to correlate to get the big picture.
● Pretesting and Validation
The modular design of Cisco Mobile Workspace supports phased approaches. Because the solution is pretested and validated by Cisco and Citrix you have less deployment risk and simpler support. IT can support a single solution. There’s a centralized point of visibility for operational simplicity. Streamlined onboarding, provisioning, de-provisioning, and offboarding save time and resources required to support enterprise mobility.
Security is built into the solution at multiple levels without getting in the way of the user experience. The Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution with Citrix protects the network, devices, applications, and data. Single-source policy lets IT enforce enterprise compliance policies and respond efficiently to changing requirements and regulations. Extensive Cisco threat detection and defense technology provides protection before, during, and after attacks.
● Mobility Scaled to Your Needs
IT can customize and scale the solution to accommodate the constantly increasing number of mobile devices and applications. The flexible stack is built on scalable, intelligent Cisco Unified Access technology, so you can easily keep up with emerging use cases and business needs. Define priorities to balance the mobile experience. And implement role-based access, security, and configurations in ways that make the most sense for your organization.
● Delivery of a Delightful User Experience
You can identify specific applications and apply policies to ensure that non-work-related applications are not impacting the performance of business applications. You can ensure that Windows-based applications delivered with virtualization or rich media web apps, for example, each get the quality of service they need to deliver a great user experience. The Cisco network provides performance and traffic management, and Citrix technology delivers the user experience optimized for mobile devices. Enterprise app stores let you deliver the right apps to the right person on the right device at the right time. With Citrix XenMobile Enterprise, you can establish your own app store and support all app delivery models.
Four-Layer Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution Stack
The Cisco and Citrix stack comprises four layers (see Figure 2).
Let’s take a brief look at each layer.
1. Core Infrastructure and Security. This layer provides a scalable mobile networking and compute foundation for enabling mobile devices and applications.
2. Mobile Policy. This function attends to managing and enforcing network and device policy across the complete network and all devices.
3. Application Delivery. The solution supports the management and delivery of all application models.
4. Mobile Productivity. The solution adds in mobile collaboration and data security to deliver productivity applications and secure data services.
Based on this stack, the Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution with Citrix can be deployed in a modular way to deliver the growing set of use cases your organization needs. For example, you can start off with simply securing guest access and employee BYOD use cases. You can then build on that foundation with more complete workspace solutions that support different application delivery models. Then perhaps to extending secure collaboration on mobile devices. Many deployments might follow the following mobile workspace journey that aligns to the four steps below (and shown in Figure 3).
1. Mobilize your employees and guests: To provide secure mobile access for your employees and guests you need a scalable wired and wireless infrastructure based on Cisco Unified Access and Cisco ISE for centralized policy management and automated guest access services.
2. Mobilize your devices: Building on this foundation, you can offer a full BYOD solution that extends ISE capabilities to all employee mobile devices anywhere. Integration with Citrix XenMobile (MDM) provides zero-touch device registration and access to the employees’ authorized resources. Cisco AnyConnect® VPN and Cisco Advanced Security Appliance (ASA) help to ensure secure anywhere access.
3. Mobilize your applications and content: Now that you are providing secure access, you can extend the functionality so that applications are automatically and safely deployed on your employees’ devices. You can provide access to all approved apps through the enterprise application storefront delivered using Citrix XenMobile MAM capabilities. In addition, you can offer users secure Windows applications on any device by hosting Citrix XenDesktop virtualized apps on Cisco Unified Computing private cloud infrastructure. In order to provide anywhere access to data you can also deploy Citrix ShareFile.
4. Mobilize your collaboration: A mobile workspace is not complete without providing collaboration across all devices. Cisco Unified Communication Manager, Cisco Jabber, Cisco WebEx, and Cisco Expressway are the foundational components for empowering teams of employees, partners, and contractors. These components can enable easy collaboration between people, whether they are at their desks or on the go.
Why Turn to Cisco?
The Cisco Mobile Workspace Solution brings together best-in-class technologies and support to give you a strategic platform for your immediate and longer-term mobility initiatives. Cisco and Citrix provide a complete mobile workspace solution that can accommodate all of your application and employee workstyle needs. And Cisco and Citrix provide exceptional compliance and risk mitigation: you get centralized control of devices, data, applications, communications, and infrastructure.
Lower cost and improved return on investment (ROI) complete the compelling business case for Cisco Mobile Workspace with Citrix. This framework for your overall enterprise mobility initiative can put you on a path for an optimized infrastructure, simplified operations, productive employees, and long-term investment protection.
For More Information
Learn more about Cisco Mobile Workspace with Citrix by visiting.