Operator Control and Subscriber Convenience
NTSC Addressable analog set-tops from Scientific Atlanta, a Cisco company, give North American video network operators excellent ease of use, deployment operation and maintenance, while offering subscribers capabilities that include:
- Easy navigation through menu choices, using a remote control or set-top key panel.
- Automatic, on-screen pay per view event confirmation, listing events by channel, event number and event. description. This reduces time-consuming telephone calls to the cable operator in order to confirm an order.
- Clear, graphic display of volume and mute setting status, virtually eliminating any subscriber confusion over volume settings.
- An 8-event, 14-day program timer, which facilitates unattended VCR recording of premium programming.
- Optional one-touch purchasing of pay-per-view events from either the remote control or the set-top key panel.
- Parental control capabilities that let subscribers protect their families from content they find objectionable.
- The ability to create a list of up to 128 favorite channels for easy scanning, selection and review.
- A sleep timer that turns off the set-top after 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes, as designated by the subscriber.
At the same time, operators get an easy-to-use on-screen Welcome Barker to reinforce brand identity and marketing messages, as well as other on-screen messages that appear, for instance, when a subscriber tunes to a channel to which he doesn’t have access. Operators can also create and send messages to one or more home terminals to communicate about cable system promotions, past-due reminders, public service announcements, and targeted advertising.
The Addressable Analog series of set-tops also include exceptional security. Dynamic video baseband and RF sync-suppression scrambling techniques protect premium and PPV channels from theft of service. Signal security is further enhanced through the use of “in-band” conditional access and SoundProtect™ audio masking.