Reduce Total Cost of Ownership
Learn the many benefits of the Cisco Catalyst SmartOperations toolkit.
Simplify Operations While Cutting Costs
Cisco Catalyst SmartOperations is a set of technologies and features to simplify network planning, deployment, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
SmartOperations brings together Cisco Catalyst technologies and Cisco IOS Software features that help improve productivity, cut costs, reduce downtime, and enhance the user experience. Most of these technologies are included in the base Cisco IOS Software feature set.
The SmartOperations toolkit includes the following:
- Flexible NetFlow provides detailed network traffic statistics to enable intelligent capacity management and upgrade planning.
- IP Service-Level Agreements (IP SLAs) assess readiness to deploy new services such as voice, video, and virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).
- Smart Install is a zero-touch deployment solution that allows new or replacement switches to be automatically imaged and configured over the network.
- Auto Smartports automatically configures switch ports based on the device type.
- AutoQoS simplifies the process of generating and applying quality of service (QoS) configurations.
- Flexible NetFlow provides detailed statistics to identify top talkers and diagnose anomalous patterns.
- IP Service-Level Agreements (IP SLAs) monitor network performance metrics such as jitter and latency to help ensure quality for voice, video, and real-time applications.
- Embedded Event Manager is a scripting system that can detect network events and automatically take action, such as executing commands or sending an email.
- Smart Call Home communicates network status to the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) to enable proactive service interventions.
- Generic Online Diagnostics (GOLD) runs diagnostic tests to detect preliminary warnings of hardware failure, allowing network administrators to prevent potential outages.
- Mediatrace monitors voice, video, and other real-time traffic as it traverses the network, helping administrators to pinpoint bottlenecks that degrade performance.
- Encapsulated Remote SPAN (ERSPAN) captures traffic on switch ports or VLANs and sends it across a Layer 3 routed network for remote analysis and diagnostics.
- Protocol Analyzer uses the Wireshark open-source packet capture platform to collect and interpret traffic on an interface, enabling sophisticated protocol analysis and debugging.
- Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR) uses switch hardware to test the integrity, length, and connectivity of Ethernet cables to enable rapid debugging of wiring issues.
Catalyst SmartOperations helps:
- Avoid over-provisioning through accurate planning
- Save time by automating provisioning and deployment
- Provide effective network monitoring with superior diagnostics and deeper application visibility
- Enable fast troubleshooting and resolution of network problems
California Schools Extend Cost-Effective Connectivity (PDF - 197 KB)
The Total Economic Impact of Cisco Catalyst Access Switching (PDF - 532 KB)