Cisco® AnyRes Video on Demand (VoD) helps expand the revenue potential of video content for service providers, media distributors, and content providers by generating high-quality VoD assets that are compatible with any device. By eliminating the manual bottlenecks typically involved with high-volume, file-based transcoding workflow, which prepares video files for set-top boxes, PCs, and mobile devices, Cisco AnyRes VoD helps lower operating expenses (Figure 1). It also produces high-quality assets for every screen with exceptional performance, maximizing advertising opportunities without compromising the viewing experience.
Figure 1. Cisco AnyRes Video on Demand Workflow
• Industry-leading expertise: Designed and built by industry-leading experts in video compression, Cisco AnyRes VoD continues to offer the latest innovative advancements in video transcoding.
• Hands-free automation: Cisco AnyRes VoD is a finely tuned, automated transcoding system that maximizes your resources by eliminating manual tasks that traditionally create bottlenecks in the transcoding process.
• The smart buy: With Cisco AnyRes VoD, you have a transcoding platform that will scale to match your growing business, and evolve to help ensure you always support the latest formats.
• End-to-end workflow: Direct Cisco AnyRes VoD to your source file, and high-quality, verified files are protected, packaged, and delivered to your network, ready to be played from any device.
• Analysis and quality control: Sophisticated analysis before the encoding process helps ensure that proper encoding settings and templates are used; analysis on the output files provides hands-free quality control processes.
• Easy-to-use job templates: The Cisco AnyRes VoD template editor provides access to the latest encoding settings needed to fine-tune picture quality and conform to industry and device specifications. Cisco AnyRes VoD also ships with a complete template library to get you started.
• Modular configurations and API integration: The modular Cisco AnyRes VoD system can work end to end or integrate into your existing asset management system, such as Cisco Videoscape™ Media Suite. Well-documented APIs make it easy to control Cisco AnyRes VoD remotely.
• Prioritization: You can set numeric priorities for content being fed into the system, and Cisco AnyRes VoD will intelligently calculate encoding priorities.
Features of Cisco AnyRes Video on Demand
• Full support for the most popular primary and secondary screen-distribution formats
• MPEG-2 for CableLabs® specifications
• Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), with encryption and Microsoft PlayReady digital rights management (DRM)
• Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) Smooth Streaming for H.264 and VC-1, with Microsoft PlayReady DRM
• Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming with Adobe Flash Access DRM
• Automated analysis and decision making on ingestion and output
• Automated quality control
• Intelligent scalability and load balancing
• Modular software architecture, including virtualization
• Fully documented and supported API
• Management GUI for workflow and monitoring
• Reporting and customer management
Cisco AnyRes Video-on-Demand (VoD) Automated Workflow
• Ingestion and analysis: Critical differentiators of the Cisco AnyRes VoD encoding process include analysis, file verification, and metadata extraction that manage how videos are transcoded and moved throughout your workflow. This stage optimizes the encoding parameters and gathers important metadata that will play a critical role in the later publishing process.
• Decision Logic: Cisco AnyRes VoD reduces your touch points and increases your throughput at this step by using the results of the analysis step to modify settings on your encoding template. For example, the options include using the same template or watch folder for interlaced and de-interlaced sources, using de-interlaced processing as needed, or setting in and out points for the transcoding.
• Encode: When a file is ready to be transcoded, Cisco AnyRes VoD schedules a job in the system, in the order of your prioritization. This organization helps ensure that your valuable resources are focused on the jobs that are "on deadline." Because load balancing and resource management are critical to ensuring the highest capacity and uptime, this process happens automatically, using a highly optimized grid-processing architecture.
Figure 2. Link up the Work Order Elements to Create a Custom, Automated Workflow
• Post-encoding: After the asset has been transcoded, it is checked for quality against as many as eight parameters. In the case of adaptive bit rate (ABR) streaming, Cisco AnyRes VoD generates the index files needed by the client to manage an unbuffered session for the end user. Finally, the assets are delivered, remotely or locally. Cisco can also package and deliver companion files per job, such as poster art or a movie trailer.
Table 1. Ordering Information