The Cisco® D9859 Advanced Receiver Transcoder provides the ability to deliver MPEG-4 high-definition (HD) services to MPEG-2 cable TV (CATV) headends.
The Cisco D9859 (Figures 1 and 2) extends the distribution options for MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) high definition from solely MPEG-4 environments to existing MPEG-2 networks. Support for up to eight simultaneous high-definition or standard-definition (SD) channels of decryption and transcoding provides the advantage of density for locations requiring more than just a single channel. The D9859 can provide up to 8 down-converted MPEG-2 standard definition programs or MPEG-2 high-definition transcoded programs. Video and two audio outputs are available for analog down-conversion for one of the decrypted incoming MPEG-4 high-definition programs.
The Asynchronous Serial Interface (ASI) and MPEG over IP (MPEGoIP) transport outputs are individually configurable and provide the capability of carrying up to eight decrypted transcoded programs for digital tier distribution. This helps the compressed video programs to be efficiently distributed to subscribers equipped with digital set-top boxes. Digital audio passthrough is synchronized to the transcoded program output. Compliant program-specific information and service information (PSI/SI) regeneration provides integration into a digital tier distribution network for eight transcoded programs.
Digital Program Mapping
Digital Program Mapping allows programmers to transparently substitute programs at the uplink. It maintains predictable and compliant transport output during service replacement, Network Information Table (NIT) retune, and channel changes, including force tunes. This feature remaps the packet identifier (PID) information from the primary service to an alternate service, allowing downstream devices to continue to operate without headend operator intervention. This helps ensure the availability of alternate programming in the digital tier.
Digital Ad Insertion
Digital Program Insertion (DPI) information is available along with the video and audio PIDs for external ad insertion in compressed digital format on both transcoded programs. In addition, the decoded program DPI can be used to drive cue tones, open collector outputs, and a relay output.
Features and Benefits
• Four L-band inputs
• DVB-S demodulation for QPSK
• DVB-S2 Demodulation for QPSK and 8PSK
• Cisco PowerVu® conditional access with Data Encryption Standard (DES) or DVB descrambling
• Support for Basic Interoperable Scrambling System (BISS) conditional access
• Decryption and transcoding of up to eight programs for digital transport output
• Two digital transport outputs available (ASI and MPEGoIP)
• Support for up to eight simultaneous high-definition or standard-definition channels of decryption and transcoding and passthrough of the original channel. Total of 16 regenearted outputs (8 transcode + 8 passthrough)
• Program transcoding to support down-conversion of a MPEG-4 HD program to a MPEG-2 SD program
• PSI/SI regeneration support on all licensed outputs (up to eight programs transcoded + up to 8 original content pass through)
• 4:2:0 high-definition 1080i and 720p video decoding
• AFD support for down-conversion of a decoded HD program with aspect ratio conversion
• Dolby Digital (AC-3) and Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3) audio decoding
• Closed captioning passthrough of EIA-608 and EIA-708 for transcoded programs
• Audio passthrough synchronization for transcoded programs
• Additional ASI outputs for redundancy
• MPEGoIP output for network connectivity
• DVB subtitle passthrough with transcode programs
• Contact closure terminals for simple alarm monitoring
• Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) for setup, control, and monitoring
With respect to each AVC/H.264 product, we are obligated to provide the following notice:
THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE AVC STANDARD ("AVC VIDEO") AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE AVC VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. SEE
Accordingly, please be advised that service providers, content providers, and broadcasters are required to obtain a separate use license from MPEG LA prior to any use of AVC/H.264 encoders and/or decoders.