Cisco Smart Business Communications System Release 2.0
PDF(46.3 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:November 17, 2009
Cisco announces release 2.0 of the Cisco® Smart Business Communications System (SBCS). The Cisco SBCS is a complete networking and unified communications solution for small businesses and now scales to support businesses with up to 104 phones. SBCS Release 2.0 delivers a complete Cisco Small Business Pro Series SBCS solution, with two Cisco Small Business Pro Series branded Unified Communications 500 Series platforms-the UC 540 and UC 560-and other new Small Business Pro Series components. Release 2.0 features support for two new 8-port Cisco ESW 500 Series Switches, the new Cisco AP 541N clustering wireless access point, new video streaming and VPN capabilities on the Cisco SPA 525G IP phones, added SIP trunking providers, an attendant console, and additional third-party applications. The release includes:
• The new Cisco Unified Communications 560, a second Small Business Pro Series model in the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series. The UC 560 is a rack-mount model supporting 16 to 104 users and complements the Cisco Unified Communications 540 introduced in September 2009. The UC 540 is a desktop platform supporting 8 to 32 users and includes integrated wireless. Both use a simplified process to license additional users in 8-user increments and provide additional support for voicemail and applications. The UC 540 and UC 560 are supported by the Cisco Small Business Support Center, with the optional Cisco Small Business Pro Service available to deliver 3-year "peace of mind" support.
• Two new 8-port Cisco ESW 500 Series Switches, part of a complete portfolio of Fast and Gigabit Ethernet, Layer 2 managed switches that quickly and simply integrate with the SBCS and other Cisco Small Business Pro Series products. The new desktop 8-port PoE switch models are available in both 10/100 and Gigabit Ethernet and use the same configuration utility, with Cisco Configuration Assistant support, as the 24- and 48-port models.
• New firmware for the Cisco SA 500 Series Security Appliances, which provide enhanced security for small businesses. The updated firmware includes usability improvements and support for a subscription to intrusion prevention system (IPS) capability. Included in the subscription is instant messaging (IM) and peer-to-peer blocking, and protocol inspection.
• The new Cisco AP 541N Dual Band 802.11 Clustering Access Point, an industry first that integrates with other Small Business Pro Series products to enable wireless applications, including mobile data, secure guest access, voice over WLAN, and wireless video monitoring. Clustering technology allows partners and customers to have a single point of administration and treats the access points within the cluster as a single wireless network rather than as a series of separate wireless devices. Clustering technology replicates a single configuration and pushes it out to other access points, in addition to managing the frequency channels for each device to reduce network interference. The Cisco AP 541N features 802.11n dual band with a user-selectable 2.4-GHz or 5-GHz radio, as well as strong security, QoS, transparent roaming, and more. As part of the Pro Series portfolio, the AP 541N enables easy configuration, installation, and support of mobility solutions.
• New capabilities for the Cisco SPA 525G 5-Line IP Phone, including support for video streaming-using Cisco MonitorView-to the IP phone's color display from a remote IP video camera, plus support for highly secure voice communications for teleworkers with integrated Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) VPN capabilities.
• Cisco Unified CallConnector Attendant, a new component of the Unified CallConnector family. This Windows-based operator console application is designed specifically for the call, messaging, and contact management requirements of small business attendant positions. Customers can deploy one or two consoles per UC 500. Each console includes graphical call queuing, directory lookup for easy call handling, and fully customizable application and keyboard for fast call handling.
• Version 2.2 of Cisco Configuration Assistant, delivering a range of new features, including setup wizards for the Cisco SPA 525G phone VPN and MonitorView; setup wizards for WLAN and network security; device support for the UC 560 platform, the AP 541N wireless access point, the SA 500 Series Security Appliances, and the 8-port ESW 500 Series Switches; and dual T1 support on the UC 560, as well as support for the Cisco SPA 500S 32-Button Attendant Console.
• A new third-party application:
– For small businesses in the European market, a GSM gateway from QuesCom provides alternative voice connectivity via the cellular network for voice and data, with optional time-of-day routing to cellular or the public switched telephone network (PSTN) plus Short Message Service (SMS) messaging. This capability can help small businesses reduce monthly phone bills by connecting desktop IP phones directly to the GSM network and lowering toll charges.
• Cisco Smart Designs, updated based on Cisco Configuration Assistant Version 2.2 and incorporating the new capabilities and associated network elements.
• Three new SIP trunking providers included with Cisco Configuration Assistant-Skype, Portugal Telecom, and WorldxChange (iNew Zealand only)-helping enable quick and easy provisioning of a single connection that delivers both voice and data to customers.
A new Cisco Small Business Pro Rapid Replacement Service is available for SBCS partners and customers that require higher support levels than the standard Cisco Small Business Pro Service. It includes:
• 4-hour advance hardware replacement where available; otherwise, same day shipping
• Device-level entitlement
• 3 years of "peace of mind" support for most Cisco Small Business Pro Series products
• Access to the Cisco Small Business Support Community
• Online chat support
• 24x7 telephone support from the Small Business Support Center (English only)
• Software updates for bug fixes
The Cisco SBCS is an affordable, complete system that extends voice, data, video, and wireless networking to small businesses, providing highly secure anytime, anywhere access to information. Release 2.0 offers customers even greater value as a complete Cisco Small Business Pro Series solution, with the addition of new Small Business Pro Series components and additional capabilities. Cisco SBCS 2.0 components become orderable in October 2009. Cisco Configuration Assistant Version 2.2, available in late October 2009, is required to enable the new SBCS features and enhancements.
Hardware availability timeframes through Cisco channels are based on when Cisco begins shipping the product and the time required to stock products in various regions worldwide.