PDF(384.7 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:June 12, 2013
Cisco® Unified Communications Solutions unify voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks, enabling easy collaboration every time, from any workspace.
Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM Sametime is a desktop client integration that provides an easy access to Cisco Unified Communications from IBM Sametime (Figure 1) in both standalone and integration (to Notes) environments. The solution extends the presence and instant messaging (IM) capabilities of IBM Sametime by providing access to a broad set of Cisco Unified Communications capabilities, including native audio, standards-based video, unified messaging, phone control, and presence.
Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM is tightly integrated with Lotus Sametime to deliver a consistent and compelling user experience while providing the benefits of increased employee productivity and collaboration, reduced infrastructure complexity, and a lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
Figure 1. Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM Sametime
Features and Benefits
With Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM Sametime, you can do the following:
• Increase productivity with advanced Cisco Unified Communications capabilities: Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM Sametime transparently integrates Cisco Unified Communications capabilities into the IM and presence capabilities of IBM Sametime. The solution uses Cisco Unified Communications Manager to deliver a scalable, highly available enterprise IP telephony call-processing solution. Cisco Unified Communications Manager users benefit from clear, reliable, and interoperable voice and video communications. The solution adds an integrated soft phone, which lets you instantly connect and have a business-class communication experience with colleagues, partners, and customers. You can streamline communications with additional capabilities, including phone presence, so you can see when users are on the phone; visual voicemail, which makes it easy to view, play, and respond to voice messages; conversation history; and desk-phone control, which lets you place and receive calls on your Cisco Unified IP Phone directly from your desktop.
• Enhance collaboration with standards-based high-definition (HD) video (Figure 2): Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM Sametime includes standards-based HD video capabilities so you can easily share video with this application or other standards-based video offerings from Cisco or other third-party-compliant video providers.
Figure 2. High-Definition Video with Integrated Audio Controls
• Minimize complexity, deliver high-quality audio, and lower costs: The Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM Sametime lets you use Cisco Unified Communications Manager for enterprise voice and video communications, whereas IBM Sametime provides IM and IM presence. Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager for call control minimizes costs by reducing management overhead, simplifying infrastructure complexity, and lessening licensing fees associated with deploying a dual call-control architecture. Cisco also offers an end-to-end unified communications solution that encompasses the software application and network infrastructure to provide increased control over voice quality and more robust tools for administrators to manage a mix of voice, video, and high-priority data traffic.
Cisco Unified Communications uses industry-standard audio and video codecs, minimizing the need for transcoding gateways.
• Offer enhanced conferencing and collaboration: Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM Sametime allows easy creation and management of multiparty audio and video conferences by simply dragging and dropping contacts from the contact list or by searching for participants in the embedded search bar.
Figure 3. Multiparty Video Conference with Integrated Audio Controls
• Communicate ideas quickly by instantly sharing what is on your desktop. With Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM Sametime you can share your desktop with other users including Cisco and other standards-based video endpoints.
• Enjoy a consistent IBM Sametime user experience: Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM Sametime delivers an integrated user experience. Deployed as an extension to the IBM Sametime interface, it delivers convenient access to Cisco Unified Communications audio and video capabilities.
• Enjoy investment protection: Enjoy an immediate business effect by providing access to industry-leading Cisco Unified Communications capabilities while protecting your investments in the IBM Sametime and Notes platform for IM, IM presence, etc.
Table 1 lists other features and benefits of Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM Sametime.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
Call setup Media escalation
Choose the right communication tool for your situation. Escalate from a chat to an audio call video call or desktop share Media escalations are as easy as clicking a button.
Right click to make an audio or video call or start a conference from contact list or IM session
Check the presence of the person you want to call, and then initiate an audio-only or an audio and video call with a right click.
Click from Conversation window to start the call
Place a call to a person while in an IM session directly using a single click. Call control remains in the Integrated Conversation window.
Click to call from chat session
Click on a phone number within a chat session to make a phone call.
Easy ad-hoc audio or videoconferencing
Simply drag and drop contacts from your contact list to the Conference window to add these contacts to the conference call.
Start a desktop sharing within a call or a conference to effectively share the thoughts and ideas visually.
Click to Call from Microsoft Office and Web Browsers
Click on phone numbers within Microsoft Office applications and popular web browsers to start the calls to any endpoint.
Look up users and dial from the Search bar
Search for anyone on your IBM Sametime Server and initiate a call with that person.
Direct dial from Search bar
Use the Search bar to enter a phone number to place an audio or video call.
Inbound call notification
Receive incoming call alerts with the option to answer, divert the call to your voicemail, or reply using chat.
Conversation history display
Reference missed, placed, and received phone calls directly from the IBM Sametime hub.
Receive phone calls when you are away from your desk by having your calls sent to another number; for example, to your cell phone. Or set call forwarding to voicemail so that the phone does not ring.
You have visual access to information about your active conversations, including calling name and number; call status; and information about participants, including presence and call duration. You can control your phone call directly from the Conversation window.
The solution provides proven and reliable call-control features of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, including dual-tone multifrequency (DTMF), call waiting, mute, transfer, conference, hold, hang up, merge, and the ability to add contacts to the existing call.
Switch between Standalone and Integrated Conversation windows
You can move between the Standalone and Integrated Conversation windows throughout the call.
Use your computer for calls
You can make and receive phone calls from your computer.
Use your phone for calls
You can control your phone from your computer using computer telephony integration (CTI).
Codecs (G.711, G.722.1, and G.729a). These standards-based codecs deliver an enterprise-class audio quality experience.
Audio device selection
You can choose the microphone, headset, and speaker preferences from the Sametime preferences page.
Standards-based H.264 video provides a high level of interoperability with other video endpoints and conferencing systems.
You can make and receive high-quality video calls using 1280 x 720 pixels (720p) from your computer running Windows XP and Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit) operating systems.
Video device setup
You can choose your camera preferences for video calls from the Sametime preferences page.
Control video usage
System administrator can enable or disable video by default. Users can select your own preferences for video calls.
You can view the phone status of other Cisco Unified Communications IM and Presence users.
View recent phone activity
You can view your recently placed calls, missed calls, and received calls and initiate a new call or view the contact card of the other party.
Visual voice message access
You can access and manage your voice messages:
• You can view, play back, and delete voice messages from Cisco Unity
• Secure messaging is provided in conjunction with Cisco Unity Connection configurations.
You can receive an alert when you have a new voice message, view a list of voicemail messages, or play back messages in the order you wish to listen to them instead of sequentially.
Filter voice messages
You can view your voice messages and filter them based on read, unread, deleted, or the time received.
Respond to voicemail messages
You can respond to voice messages by click to call or click to IM.
Voicemail message-waiting indicator (MWI) and one-click access to voicemail
You can receive alerts when new visual voicemail messages are available. You can access the voicemail messages easily by simply clicking the message indicator.
Click to conference
Video and audio conference sessions are as simple as clicking a button, eliminating the need to use other applications and interfaces to schedule, invite, or join conferences.
User and Support Tools
Server health tool
You can check your connection to Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Microsoft Active Directory, Domino and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) Directory, Voicemail Server, and Cisco Unified Presence Server.
Error reporting tool
It is easy to create diagnostic information to troubleshoot if necessary.
Push to deploy
System administrators can use the standard IBM mechanisms to automate the deployment of Cisco UC Integration™ for IBM.
You can deploy the solution in U.S. English for the Admin interface and any of the VTG-15 languages for the client user interface: English, Arabic, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, and Swedish.
Coexistence with other IBM Sametime integrations
You can use the integration alongside other third-party IBM integrations.
Note: * Refer to the release notes for desktop application and web browser compatibility.
minimum requirements are based on Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM Sametime running on a computer with applications and services that are part of the base operating system image. Administrators should account for other applications on the workstation to determine whether the system configuration - the CPU speed and RAM in particular - can perform adequately with other applications that could affect application performance running concurrently on the PC.
Table 2 lists the client-side system requirements for Cisco UC Integration
™for IBM Sametime.
Table 2. Client System Requirements
• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3, 32-bit
• Microsoft Windows 7, 32-bit (Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate)
• Microsoft Windows 7, 64-bit (Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate)
Minimum CPU speed and type
• Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3600+ at 2 GHz
• Intel Core 2 CPU T7400 at 2.16 GHz
• Minimum of 2 GB RAM
Free physical memory
• 128 MB
• 256 MB
• DirectX 9 (XP SP3)
• DirectX11 (Windows 7)
• When using USB cameras and audio devices, USB 2.0 is required
• IBM Sametime 8.5.1 or later (standalone)
• Lotus Notes 8.5.2 or later with Sametime 8.5.1 or later (integrated)
• Lotus Notes 9.0 with Sametime 8.5.2(integerated)
Cisco Unified IP Phones (CTI-enabled)
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 9900 Series
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 8900 Series
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series
• Cisco Unified IP Phone 6900 Series
Table 3 outlines the server-side system requirements for Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM Sametime.
Table 3. Server System Requirements
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Standard and Business Editions)
• 8.0(3) or later
• 7.1(3) or later
Cisco Unified Communications Manager with IM and Presence
• 9.0(1) or later
Cisco Unified Presence Server
• 8.6(4) or later
Cisco Unity and Unity Connection applications
• 9.0(1) or later
• 8.5(1) or later
Table 4 provides ordering information for Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM Sametime.
Cisco Unified Communications Services allow you to accelerate cost savings and productivity gains associated with deploying a secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications Solution. Delivered by Cisco and our certified partners, our portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks. Our unique lifecycle approach to services can enhance your technology experience to accelerate true business advantage.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco UC Integration
™ for IBM Sametime, visit
http://www.cisco.com/go/cuciibm or contact your local Cisco account representative.