PDF(120.1 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Nov 24, 2008
High-Density VoIP Gateway for Analog Devices
• Connect up to eight analog devices to your IP network, such as fax, standard phone, or overhead paging system
• Continue to use existing analog phones on your VoIP system
• Excellent for IP Centrex deployments, providing remote provisioning and support for dynamic, in-service software upgrades
• Clear, high-quality voice communication, using standards based voice codec'sand quality of service
Figure 1. Cisco SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway
® SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway (Figure 1) is a full-featured analog telephone adapter (ATA) for small businesses, providing enhanced communication services via a broadband connection to the Internet.
The Cisco SPA8000 features eight RJ-11 FXS ports to connect analog telephones to IP-based data networks and includes a single multiport RJ-21 50-pin connector, offering an alternative connection choice when deploying the telephony gateway in varied environments. The device also has one 10/100BASE-T RJ-45 Ethernet interface to connect to either a router or a multilayer switch.
Solid in design, the Cisco SPA8000 is an affordable solution that is ideally suited for use in business and consumer voice over IP (VoIP) service offerings, including call centers and multidwelling environments. Customers can protect and extend their investment by continuing to use their existing analog telephones and teleconferencing equipment.
Installed by the end user and remotely provisioned, configured, and maintained by the service provider, each Cisco SPA8000 converts voice traffic into data packets for transmission over an IP network and uses common standards for voice and data networking for reliable voice and fax operation.
• Toll-quality voice and carrier-grade feature support: The Cisco SPA8000 delivers clear, high-quality voice communication in diverse network conditions. Excellent voice quality in a demanding IP network is achieved via the advanced implementation of standard voice coding algorithms. The SPA8000 is interoperable with common telephony equipment such as voicemail, fax, private branch exchange (PBX), and interactive voice response systems.
• Large-scale deployment and management: The Cisco SPA8000 enables service providers to provide customized services to their subscribers. It can be remotely provisioned and supports dynamic, in-service software upgrades. A highly secure profile upload saves providers the time and expense of managing and preconfiguring or reconfiguring customer premises equipment (CPE).
• Ironclad security: Cisco understands that security for both end users and service providers is a fundamental requirement for a solid, carrier-grade telephony service. The Cisco SPA8000 supports highly secure, encryption-based methods for communication, provisioning, and servicing.
• Eight voice ports (RJ11) for analog phones or fax machines
• Call waiting, cancel call waiting, call waiting caller ID
• Caller ID with name and number (multinational variants)
• Caller ID blocking
• Call forwarding: no answer, busy, all
• Do not disturb
• Call transfer
• Three-way conference calling with local mixing
• Message waiting indication-visual and tone based
• Call return
• Call back on busy
• Call blocking with toll restriction
• Delayed disconnect
• Distinctive ringing-calling and called number
• Off-hook warning tone
• Selective/anonymous call rejection
• Touch-tone phone keypad configuration with interactive voice response (IVR)
• Fax: G.711 pass-through or real-time fax over IP via T.38 (T.38 support is dependent on fax machine and network/transport resilience)
Table 1 contains the specifications and package contents for the Cisco SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway. Table 2 compares the SPA8000 with other Cisco Small Business Voice products.
Table 1. Specifications for the Cisco SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway
* Note: Many specifications are programmable within a defined range or list of options. Please see the Administration Guide for details. The target configuration profile is uploaded to the SPA8000 at the time of provisioning.
FCC (Part 15 Class B), CE, ICES-003, C-Tick certification, Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS), UL
• Switching type (100-240V) automatic
• DC input voltage: 12V DC at 3.0A max.
• Power adapter: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz AC input
Power, Ethernet, Voice Status, Phone 1 through 8
• Quick installation, user, and configuration guides
• Administration guide-service providers only
• Provisioning guide-service providers only
W x H x D
6.69 x 1.54 x 8.66 in.
(170 x 39 x 220 mm)
2.85 lb (1.30 kg)
32° to 113°F (0° to 45°C)
-13° to 185°F (-20° to 85°C)
10% to 90% noncondensing, operating and nonoperating
10% to 90% noncondensing, operating and nonoperating
• Cisco SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway
• 12V power adapter
• RJ-45 Ethernet cable
• Quick installation guide
1-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and 90-day limited software warranty
Table 2. Cisco Small Business Voice Gateways and ATAs
Public Switched Telephone Network (FXO) Connections
Cisco SPA2102 Phone Adapter with Router
Cisco SPA3102 Phone Adapter with Router
Cisco SPA8000 8-Port Telephony Gateway
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with a 1-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and a 90-day limited software warranty. In addition, Cisco offers software application updates for bug fixes and telephone technical support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase. To download software updates, go to: