PDF(141.3 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Sep 05, 2008
Cisco Unified Communications Solutions unify voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks enabling easy collaboration every time from any workspace.
The Cisco MCS 7835-H2 Unified Communications Manager Appliance is a high-availability server platform for Cisco Unified Communications Manager and an integral part of a complete, scalable architecture for a new generation of high-quality unified communications solutions for enterprise data networks. Delivering the high performance and availability that today's enterprise networks demand, this solution is easy to deploy and highly cost-effective. The server appliance is preinstalled with an operating system and Cisco Unified Communications Manager - it is fully operational upon startup, requiring entry of just a few configuration variables such as IP address and domain. At just 2 rack units (2RU) high, the Cisco MCS 7835-H2 offers tremendous power in a low-profile chassis that minimizes rack space. It supports up to 2500 Cisco Unified IP Phones per appliance and up to 10,000 Cisco Unified IP Phones in a cluster configuration.
Key Features and Benefits
The Cisco MCS 7835-H2 Unified Communications Manager Appliance is a robust, highly available server platform designed to support today's unified communications applications; it uses a Smart Array P400 Controller with a 256-MB cache to provide onboard Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) support. The appliance occupies only 2RU of space while providing the features most requested in a high-availability server platform.
High availability on the Cisco MCS 7835-H2 is achieved through the following mechanisms:
• Redundant hot-swap power supplies
• Redundant hot-swap fans
• Hot-swap Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) hard drives configured using RAID 1
System Health LEDs
The Cisco MCS 7835-H2 provides system health LEDs and unit identification lights on the front and back of the server to ease identification of system problems. When an internal component fails, this indication is made on an internal component LED (amber) and on the front panel of the appliance. If the item is serviceable without removing the server hood, as in the case of a redundant power supply, the external health LED illuminates. If the item is serviceable by removing the hood, as in the case of a fan failure, the internal health LED illuminates. If no failures have occurred, the system health LEDs are green. If a failure has occurred but a redundant feature has enabled the system to continue running, the LED is amber. If the failure is critical and has caused the system to shut down, the LED is red.
Integrated Lights Out 2
The Integrated Lights Out 2 (iLO2) standard is included on this server. Combining essential management functions and diagnostics with basic lights-out functions as standard components of the server, iLO2 is available at no charge. The iLO2 standard feature offers maximum security, availability, and control over business-critical servers without the need to visit the systems physically.
• The iLO2 standard feature provides fundamental server control and monitoring by integrating essential lights-out technology directly into the Cisco MCS 7835-H2 Unified Communications Manager Appliance architecture.
• Essential lights-out features include remote power control, text-based console, logs, status, and alert forwarding.
• The easy-to-use, dedicated lights-out LAN port is accessible through a browser interface.
• The iLO2 standard feature saves a valuable peripheral-component-interconnect (PCI) slot for additional functions and reduces installation and setup time.
• The iLO2 standard feature eliminates the need for an external power adapter or any other internal or external cables.
• The iLO2 standard feature provides a rich suite of security features, including Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
• The iLO2 standard feature provides a scalable solution by allowing group administration of iLO processors.
DAT Tape Support
The Cisco MCS 7835-H2 Appliance can support an optional 36- or 72-GB universal-serial-bus (USB) external Digital Audio Tape (DAT) drive or an optional USB rack-mount DAT drive. This tape drive connects through one of the 4 USB 2.0 ports provided by the Cisco MCS 7835-H2 Appliance.
The following tables list the configuration by product ID.
Category 3, 4, or 5 unshielded twisted pair (UTP) (2 or 4 pair) up to 328 ft (100m)
100BASE-TX cable support
Category 5 UTP (2 pair) up to 328 ft (100m)
1000BASE-T cable support
Category 5 UTP, 5E UTP, or 6 UTP (2 pair) up to 328 ft (100m)
USB 2.0 ports
5 (2 front, 2 back, 1 inside)
System management ports
RJ-45 for HP iLO2
1 front and 1 back
• Power-on password
• Keyboard password
• Selectable boot device
• Diskette drive control
• QuickLock, network server mode
• Serial interface control
• Administrator's password
• Disk configuration lock
• Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) 2.0 compliant
• PCI 2.2 compliant
• Wake On LAN (WOL) support
• Microsoft Logo certifications
• USB 2.0 support
PCI-X non-hot plug 133-MHz 64-bit slots
PCI-X non-hot plug 100-MHz 64-bit slots
Maximum input power
Steady-state output power
Autoranging AC mains input
Power Factor Correction (PFC)
Maximum hot-swap power supplies
Hot-swap power supplies installed
Mains input frequency range
Input voltage low range
• 100 VAC minimum
• 132 VAC maximum
Input voltage high range
• 200 VAC minimum
• 265 VAC maximum
• 7.5A (100 VAC)
• 3.8A (200 VAC)
Air temperature: Server on
50 to 95°F (10 to 35°C)
Air temperature: Server off
40 to 158°F (40 to 70°C)
Humidity: Server on
10 to 90%
Humidity: Server off
5 to 95%
1475 BTU per hour
Sound emissions idle
Sound emissions maximum
Bystander sound pressure idle
Bystander sound pressure operating
• 5 fans installed: Base systems
• 8 fans installed: Redundant fan systems
Included for standard third-party rack
60 lb (27.22 kg)
Weight: No drives
47.18 lb (20.41 kg)
3.38 in. (8.59 cm)
17.54 in. (44.54 cm)
26.01 in. (66.07 cm)
To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page and refer to Tables 9 and 10.
You can order the Cisco MCS 7835-H2 in two ways. You can enter UNIFIED-CM-7.1 or UNIFIED-CM-6.1into the Dynamic Configuration tool on Cisco.com and view a list of Cisco Unified Communications Manager appliances and their associated licenses. You can also order the components individually using the following product part numbers:
• MCS7835H2-K9-CMC2 (preloaded with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1)
• MCS7835H2-K9-CMC1 (preloaded with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.0)
• MCS7835H2-K9-CMB2D (preloaded with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1)
• MCS7835H2-K9-CMB1D (preloaded with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0)
• MCS7835H2-K9-CMA2D (preloaded with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.1)
• KEY-CCM-ADMIN-K9= (order a minimum quantity of 2)
• DAT-USB-EXT-72= (optional external USB DAT tape drive)
• DAT-USB-RM-72= (optional rack-mount USB DAT tape drive)
To order spare appliances, refer to Table 9.
Table 9. Ordering Information for Spare Appliances
Spare Part Number
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.0
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0
Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.1
To order spare parts for the appliance, refer to Table 10.
Table 10. Ordering Information for Appliance Spare Parts
Spare Part Number
Spare 72-GB SAS 2.5 inch Hot Swap Drive for Cisco MCS 7835-H2
Spare 146-GB SAS 2.5 inch Hot Swap Drive for Cisco MCS 7835-H2
Spare 575W power supply for Cisco MCS 7835-H2
Spare fan for Cisco MCS 7835-H2
Spare external USB 36-/72-GB DAT drive
Spare rack-mount USB 36-/72-GB DAT drive
Replacement Part Numbers
With the introduction of the new configurations using 146-GB disks in place of 72-GB disks, the orderability of the old configuration expired. Table 11 provides the replacement part numbers for those products that are no longer orderable.
Cisco Unified Communications Services allows you to accelerate cost savings and productivity gains associated with deploying a secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications solution. Delivered by Cisco and our certified partners, our portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks. Our unique lifecycle approach to services enhances your technology experience to accelerate true business advantage.