Cisco 8-Port T1-E1 MPSM for the Cisco MGX 8800 Series Switches
PDF(124.5 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Dec 17, 2004
The Cisco® 8-Port T1/E1 Multiprotocol Service Module (MPSM) is an 8-port T1 or E1, single-height service module for use in the Cisco MGX® 8800 Series switches and the Cisco MGX 8200 Series edge concentrators. The MPSM delivers connectivity from DS-0 to T1/E1 speeds. It supports the same functions as the 8-port Frame Relay service modules (FRSMs), ATM user service modules (AUSMs), and Circuit Emulation service modules (CESMs) currently deployed and is meant to be a replacement for these cards. The new service module also supports additional features listed in the following section.
• Any-service any-card (ASAC) function, which reduces operation and deployment costs because one MPSM card can act as a FRSM, AUSM, or CESM
• Built-in bit-error-rate-test (BERT) testing
• Inverse Multiplexing over ATM (IMA) 1.0 and IMA 1.1 along with IMA Restart capability
• Support for multiple ATM frame sizes from 32 to 256 bytes
• Independent Transport Clock (ITC) and Common Transmit Clocking (CTC) clocking modes
• Support for FRF 8.1 Frame Relay-to-ATM service interworking
• Mixed-mode 1:N redundancy support to ease sparing requirements
• Hitless replacement and upgrade for current 8-port FRSM, AUSM, and CESM service modules*
Not fully compatible with MGX-CESM-8T1/B.
Table 1 gives ordering information for the Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM.
Table 1. Ordering Information for Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM
8-port T1/E1 MPSM
8-port T1 RJ-48 backcard
Redundancy backcard, supporting 8-port T1 MPSM
8-port E1 RJ-48 backcard
Redundancy backcard, supporting 8-port E1 MPSM
8-port E1 Subminiature (SMB) backcard
Redundancy backcard, supporting 8-port E1 MPSM
ForeSight or standard available-bit-rate (ABR) license for Frame Relay services on the Cisco 8-port T1/E1 MPSM
To order your Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM and appropriate license, go to: (Cisco.com login is required to view this content)
Binary 8-zero substitution (B8ZS) or alternate mark inversion (AMI)
High-density bipolar three (HDB3) with AMI
ANSI T1.408 Super Frame (ESF) format line framing
ITU-T G.704 16 frame multiframe line framing and clear channel
100-ohm twisted-pair or 75-ohm co-axial
• Configurable for IMA trunk or User-Network Interface (UNI) application
• Conformant to ATM Forum UNI 3.0 and 3.1 specifications and ITU-T I.361 and I.432 specifications
• Supports up to 16 classes of service (CoSs) and includes all ATM Forum traffic type services: ABR, unspecified bit rate (UBR), non-real time variable bit rate (VBR-nrt), real-time variable bit rate (VBR-rt), and constant bit rate (CBR); supports ABR for explicit forward congestion indication (EFCI), RM marking, and ER stamping; supports IP quality of service
• Supports ABR with virtual source and virtual destination
• Supports early packet discard (EPD) and partial packet discard (PPD)
• Supports Weighted Random Early Detection (WRED)
• Supports per-virtual circuit queuing for traffic scheduling
• Supports per-virtual circuit traffic shaping on egress
• Supports per-virtual circuit policing
• Supports 32 virtual interfaces on egress
• Supports virtual path termination
• Supports Integrated Local Management Interface (ILMI) 4.0
• Complies with standard usage parameter control (UPC) per ATM Forum UNI 3.x, TM 4.0, and ITU-T I.371
• Supports virtual-path-identifier (VPI) and virtual-circuit-identifier (VCI) range for VCCs and VPCs per UNI 3.1
• Supports virtual circuit merge for egress and multipoint connections
• Supports usage policing on all interfaces
• Supports ITU-T Q.933 Annex A, ANSI T1.617 Annex D, and Local Management Interface (LMI) local management for semipermanent virtual circuits (both UNI and Network-Network Interface [NNI] portions); enhanced LMI provides autoconfiguration of traffic management parameters for attached Cisco Systems® routers
• Supports Frame Relay-to-ATM network interworking (FRF 5) and Frame Relay-to-ATM service interworking (FRF 8 and FRF 8.1), both transparent and translation modes, configured on a per-permanent virtual circuit (PVC) basis
• Supports standards-based committed-information-rate (CIR) policing, tagging, and discarding
• Supports end-to-end ForeSight rate-based flow-control option to improve trunk use and user goodput
• Supports capability to extend ForeSight closed-loop congestion management between two Cisco networks across Frame Relay-UNI or Frame Relay-NNI using ANSI T1.618 consolidated link-layer management (CLLM) messages
• Supports Cisco IOS® Software enhancements to Frame Relay-to-ATM service interworking to allow interworking for a wider range of protocols
• Each logical port independently configurable as Frame Relay UNI or Frame Relay NNI
• Meets ANSI T1.618, using 2-octet headers
• Supports ATM Forum Frame Relay-based UNI (FUNI) mode 1A
• Supports interpretation of CCITT-16 cyclic redundancy check (CRC) at end of the frame (frame discard if in error)
• Supports ATM Adaption Layer 5 (AAL5) mapping of user payload to ATM
• Supports 16 VPI values (15 plus the zero VPI); supports virtual path connections (VPCs) for all nonzero VPI values (up to 15 VPCs)
• Supports 64 VCI values
• Supports operation, administration, and maintenance (OAM) frame and cell flows
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports standards-based AAL1.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM is compliant with ATM Forum Circuit Emulation Service Version 2.0 (CESv2.0).
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM offers a choice of structured data transfer (SDT) or unstructured data transfer (UDT) per physical interface.
• Time slots must be contiguous for n x 64-kbps fractional T1/E1 service.
• Any n x 64-kbps channel can be mapped to any virtual circuit
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports T1 cards up to 192 DS-0 ports (24 channels x 8 lines) operating simultaneously with each interface configurable as a single port (UDT) or up to 24 ports (SDT) running at full line rate at n x 64 kbps.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports E1 cards up to 248 DS-0 ports (31 channels x 8 lines) operating simultaneously with each interface configurable as a single port (UDT) or up to 31 ports (SDT) running at full line rate at n x 64 kbps.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM offers a choice of partially filled AAL1 cells per virtual circuit.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports Super Frame and Extended Super Frame (ESF) framing modes.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports synchronous clocking for both UDT and SDT.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports asynchronous clocking for UDT, with synchronous residual time stamp (SRTS) and adaptive clock recovery methods.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports ON/OFF hook detection and idle suppression using channel-associated signaling (CAS).
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM allows the choice of per-virtual circuit partially filled AAL1 cell payload to improve cell delay. Type fill range (bytes):
– T1 structured: 25-47
– T1 unstructured: 33-47
– E1 structured: 20-47
– E1 unstructured: 33-47
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports per-virtual circuit queuing in both directions and per-virtual circuit traffic shaping in the egress direction.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports Private Network-Network Interface (PNNI) Preferred Routing for switched permanent virtual circuits (SPVCs).
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports customer edge-to-customer edge and customer edge-to-ATM SPVC endpoints.
• The Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 MPSM supports xPVC Cisco WAN Manager as well as PVC (portable AutoRoute [PAR]) support for feeder nodes.
• Greater than 100,000 hours mean time between failure (MTBF)
• Dimensions: (H x D): 7.25 x 15.83 in.
• Input power required: (48 VDC)
• Power consumption: 36W
Electrical and Safety Standards Compliance
• EMI/ESD compliance
– FCC Part 15
– Bellcore GR1089-CORE
– IEC 801-2
• Safety compliance
– EN 60950
– UL 1950
• Bellcore Network Equipment Building Standards (NEBS): Level 3 compliant