Announcing Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 for HP
PDF(178.3 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:April 21, 2008
Cisco announces the new Cisco
® Blade Switch 3120 for HP. The Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 for HP is the next-generation Ethernet blade switch for the HP c-Class BladeSystem, and it provides a high-performance, cost-effective, and scalable solution that can help simplify the network and meet growing bandwidth needs.
With the Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120, Cisco introduces a unique technology called the Virtual Blade Switch, or VBS. VBS technology connects individual physical switches within a rack with a special cable and treats them as one logical switch. This technology provides a number of benefits:
• Simplifies data center management because there are fewer switches to manage
• Increases bandwidth up to 160 Gbps from each virtual blade switch in a server rack, and customers can double bandwidth from each server by using Cisco EtherChannel®
• Allows servers to communicate within the rack without I/O going out of the rack, and enables customers to share uplinks across multiple switches in the VBS, providing a highly scalable and cost-effective solution
• Uses the same feature-rich Cisco IOS® Software, MIBs, and management tools as the rest of the Cisco Catalyst products, simplifying operations and management
The Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 for HP has two configurations. One configuration allows customers to connect the switch to the existing network fabric using Gigabit Ethernet uplinks, and the other configuration allows customers to connect the switch to the existing network fabric using Gigabit and 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks.
• Configuration 1: Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120G for HP
– Supports up to 8 Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports: 4 10/100/1000BASE-T ports and 4 Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) Gigabit Ethernet ports (using Cisco TwinGig Converter Modules in the X2 slots)
• Configuration 2: Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120X for HP
– Supports up to 4 10/100/1000BASE-T ports and two X2 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports
Table 1 lists the part numbers and product descriptions for the Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 for HP.
Table 1. Ordering Information for Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 for HP
Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120G for HP w/ IP Base-for Gigabit Ethernet uplink
Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120X for HP w/ IP Base-for 10G or Gigabit Ethernet uplink
Software Upgrade License for CBS3120 to IP Services
Available with Cisco IOS Software and the IP Base image, the Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 products offer a complete set of intelligent services to deliver security, quality of service (QoS), and high availability in the server farm access environment. The IP Base feature set includes advanced QoS, a suite of security features, rate-limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing capability. Optionally, customers can upgrade the switch software to IP Services or Advanced IP Services. The IP Services feature set provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and multicast routing: Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM), and so on. The Advanced IP Services feature set offers IPv6 routing.
® maintenance contracts are available for the Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 for HP.
The new Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch 3120 for HP begins shipping at the end of March 2008.