Q. What is the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E Switch chassis?
A. The Cisco
® 6513-E is a 19-RU, 13-slot chassis enabling 2-Terabit infrastructure for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 product family.
Q. Where is the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E typically deployed?
A. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E is an ideal choice for the following deployments:
● Data center access: As an end-of-row switch, the high-density Cisco Catalyst 6513-E can aggregate up to 528 1G copper and 180 10G copper ports
● Wiring closet: The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E supports up to 14,500W of system power, allowing the network to be future proofed for scalable PoE/ePoE and PoE+ wiring closet deployments
Q. Are there any special conditions that need to be considered when installing the chassis?
Q. Which line cards are supported with the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis?
A. With Supervisor Engine 720 or Supervisor Engine 720-10G, the line cards supported by the 6513-E are the same as those supported in the 6513 non-E Series chassis. The same rules regarding placement of 67xx Series modules apply to the 6513-E Series chasis as they do to the 6513 non-E Series chassis.
With Supervisor Engine 2T, all modules that are supported with the Supervisor Engine 2T can populate slots 1-6 and/or 9-13. The Supervisor slots (7 and 8) are reserved for Supervisor Engine 2T, even if just using a single Supervisor.
Q. Which supervisor engines are supported with the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E?
A. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis supports the following supervisor engines:
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 2T
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 2T-XL
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720-3B
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720-3BXL
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720-10G-3C
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720-10G-3CXL
● Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32
The Supervisor Engine 32 with PISA will not be supported with the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E.
Q. Will you get 80 Gbps per slot with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720/720-10G?
A. No. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis with the Supervisor Engine 2T will support 80 Gbps per slot on all 13 slots. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E with Supervisor Engine 720/720-10G will have the same bandwidth caveats that exist on the non-E 6513 chassis. With a Supervisor Engine 720/720-10G, the fabric channel connections for the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E and 6513 (non-E) are distributed the same: that is, slots 1 through 8 are single channel with 20 Gbps capacity, and slots 9 through 13 are dual channel, providing 40 Gbps capacity. Therefore, with the Supervisor Engine 720, a Cisco Catalyst 6513-E will only support the 67xx line cards in slots 9 through 13.
Q. What software images will support 6513-E?
A. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis will be supported with the following software releases:
● Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(18)SXF14 and later (All Supervisors Engines except 2T)
● Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(33)SXH2 and later (All Supervisors Engines except 2T)
● Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(33)SXI1 and later (All Supervisors Engines except 2T)
● Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(33)SXJ and later (All Supervisors Engines except 2T)
● Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(50)SY and later (Supervisor Engine 2T only)
● Cisco IOS Software Release 15.0(1)SY and later (Supervisor Engine 2T only)
Q. Which power supplies can I configure with the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E?
A. The Cisco Catalyst 6513-E supports the following power supplies in combined and redundant mode:
● AC: 3000W, 4000W, 6000W, and 8700W
● DC: 2500W, 4000W, and 6000W
Q. Can we utilize slots 7 and 8 for line cards?
A. In a system powered up with Supervisor Engine 2T, slots 7 and 8 are dedicated to the supervisor engines and cannot be used for line cards.
Q. Can I reuse the Cisco Catalyst 6513 fan tray in the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis?
A. No. The high-speed fan tray for the Cisco Catalyst 6513 is not compatible with the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E. Customers need to order the WS-C6513-E-FAN as they configure the system.
Q. Is the fan tray of the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E Chassis hot swappable?
A. Yes. The fan tray can be removed in-service without disrupting the system. Keep in mind that the fan tray is removed from the rear of the chassis, so adequate space must be provided. Furthermore, the fan tray should be replaced as soon as possible to avoid any over-heating of the system.
Q. What part numbers do I use to order the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis?
A. Table 1 lists the chassis and fan tray product IDs.
Table 1. Chassis and Fan Tray Product IDs
Product Part Number
Cisco Catalyst 6500 13-slot chassis, 20RU, PS, no Fan Tray
Cisco Catalyst 6500 13-slot, 19RU, no PS, no Fan Tray Spare
Cisco Catalyst 6513-E Fan Tray
Cisco Catalyst 6513-E Fan Tray Spare
Q. Which of the Cisco Catalyst 6513 non-E series bundles will be offered with the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E?
A. The current Cisco Catalyst 6513 bundles will not be carried over to the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis.
Q. What bundles are available with the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E Chassis?
A. There is a bundle with the 6513-E Series chassis and Supervisor Engine 2T. Please see VS-C6513E-SUP2T in the price list. This items in this bundle are:
Catalyst 6513-E Series Chassis
Catalyst 6513-E Series Fan Tray
Supervisor Engine 2T
Catalyst 6500 IOS – IP Services Feature Set
Q. What are the advantages of choosing Cisco SMARTnet Service for the Cisco Catalyst 6513-E?
A. Cisco SMARTnet
® Service is an award-winning technical support service that gives your IT staff direct, anytime access to Technical Assistance Center (TAC) engineers and Cisco.com resources. You receive the fast, expert response and the dedicated accountability you require to resolve critical network issues.
Cisco SMARTnet Service provides the following device-level support:
● Global access 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to specialized engineers in the Cisco TAC
● Anytime access to the extensive Cisco.com online knowledge base, resources, and tools
● Hardware replacement options including 2-hour, 4-hour, next-business-day (NDB) advance replacement, as well as return for repair (RFR)
● Ongoing operating system software updates, including both minor and major releases within your licensed feature set
● Proactive diagnostics and real-time alerts on select devices with Smart Call Home
In addition, Cisco SMARTnet Onsite Service is an option that provides a field engineer to install replacement parts at your location and help ensure that your network operates at the highest levels. For more information, visit
Q. What are the Cisco SMARTnet SKUs?
A. The Cisco SMARTnet SKUs are:
Q. I would like to learn more about the 6513-E chassis. Where can I find this information?