Cisco Catalyst 4500E UPOE and EEE Line Cards: Unleash the Power of Your Network
PDF(189.1 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:January 31, 2012
Cisco is announcing the following three modules in the widely deployed Cisco® Catalyst® 4500E platform:
• Industry first Universal Power over Ethernet (UPOE) line card, which extends the IEEE 802.3 PoE+ standard to deliver up to 60W per port over standard cabling infrastructure
• The innovative UPOE Power Splitter supplies power to any DC (Direct Current) device that is within 12V., e.g., the PC monitor
• Cisco's fastest data line card, at 48Gbps per slot line rate, which can handle jumbo frames
These two line cards also support the IEEE 802.3 Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) standard and are a great value addition to the existing portfolio leading the modular wiring closet space against the competition.
Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series 10/100/1000 UPOE Line Card
The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Universal PoE line card (Figure 1) is a breakthrough in technology, offering the following services to customers on the world's most widely deployed modular platform, the Cisco Catalyst 4500E:
• 60W per port to enable a variety of end devices such as Samsung VDI client, BT IP turret systems in trading floors, Cisco Catalyst compact switches in retail/hospitality environments, personal Cisco TelePresence® systems, and physical access control devices
• EEE providing energy and cost savings to the customer
• Line-rate throughput at 48Gbps per slot bandwidth
• Table stakes PoE capabilities such as powering up 802.11n access points and interactive IP phones compliant with IEEE 802.3 PoE/PoE+ standard
Figure 1. Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Universal PoE Line Card
benefits of this line card are:
• High availability for power and guaranteed uninterrupted services, a requirement for critical applications (e911)
• Lowering OpEx by providing network resiliency at lower cost by consolidating backup power into the wiring closet
• Faster deployment of new campus access networking infrastructures by eliminating the need for a power outlet for every endpoint
• Cisco UPoE, in combination with Cisco EnergyWise, to help meet corporate sustainability mandates while lowering energy costs
Table 1 shows ordering information.
Table 1. Ordering Information
Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series 48-Port 802.3af PoE, 802.3at PoEP, and UPOE
This line card works with Cisco IOS
® XE Software Release 3.2.0SG or later.
Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series 10/100/1000 Data Line Card
The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Data Line card (Figure 2) is the
fastest modular Cisco Catalyst
data line card and offers the following services:
• Jumbo frame support for large file transfers, handling microbursts and network backups in campus and branch deployments
• EEE, providing energy and cost savings to the customer
Figure 2. Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Data Line Card
Table 2 shows ordering information.
Table 2. Ordering Information
Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series 48-Port 10/100/1000 (RJ-45)
This line card works with Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.2.0SG or later.
Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Power Splitter
The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Power Splitter provides an UPOE solution for the device that is not PoE compatible. The standalone Power Splitter takes an UPOE input and split it into one Ethernet PoE/PoEP output and one DC power line output. With this power splitter, Catalyst 4500E Series Switches can power any device that is within 12V DC range. The plug and play UPOE solution provides a wide range of power services and greatly reduce the complexity of cable and power management.
The Power Splitter takes a UPOE input from the WS-X4748-UPOE+E line card port and provides a PoE/PoEP RJ45 output port plus a 12V DC output port. A 60W input is split between the PoE/PoEP and DC power output lines.
Figure 3. Cisco Catalyst 4500E UPOE Power Splitter
Table 3 shows ordering information.
Table 3. Ordering Information
Catalyst 4500E Series UPOE 12V Passthrough Splitter
This UPOE Power Splitter works with Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.2.0SG or later.
Cisco Services integrate closely with CMO teams as an essential element of any technology solution. Please contact your Cisco Services marcom manager if you have not already received targeted services content blocks for integration. Please email
firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not sure of the appropriate contact.