Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series with CenterFlex Technology
PDF(297.0 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Oct 10, 2007
Cisco® is pleased to announce the Cisco Catalyst® 4500 E-Series with CenterFlex technology, providing secure, flexible, nonstop communications to facilitate business resilience for enterprises, small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), and Metro Ethernet customers deploying business-critical applications. The Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series, including the new Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E, three new E-Series line cards, and four new E-Series chassis, is a next-generation extension to the widely deployed Cisco Catalyst 4000 and 4500 Series of switches.
CenterFlex technology is enabled by the Supervisor Engine 6-E centralized application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), which deliver the highest centralized performance and configuration flexibility in the industry. CenterFlex technology facilitates granular optimization of real-time voice, video, and data communication, maximizing performance and enhancing user experience. The new E-Series with CenterFlex technology is designed with unprecedented backward and forward compatibility, delivering exceptional investment protection and deployment flexibility to meet the evolving needs of organizations of all sizes.
The Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E with CenterFlex technology is an intelligent, high-performance, next-generation extension to the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series optimized for customers deploying business-critical applications.
Key Supervisor Engine 6-E features include:
• Centralized 320-Gbps switching capacity with 250 Mpps of throughput
• Flexibility to operate at 6 or 24 Gb per line-card slot
• Ability to mix-and-match classic 6-Gb and E-Series 24-Gb line cards, with no performance degradation
• Dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks (X2 optics)
• Twin gigabit converter modules that offer flexibility for up to 4 Gigabit Ethernet (Small Form-Factor Pluggable [SFP]) uplinks in the X2 optic slots
• IPv6 support in hardware, providing wire-rate forwarding for IPv6 networks
• Dynamic hardware forwarding-table allocations for ease of IPv4-to-IPv6 migration
• Advanced quality of service (QoS) support with 8 queues per port, dynamic queue sizing, and hierarchical policing
• Enhanced security with Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding (URPF) for added protection against network spoofing attacks
• FAT file system for easier network administration
• Quack support for protection against counterfeit line cards
The Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series line cards include the following options:
• 48-port 10/100/1000 E-Series Power over Ethernet (PoE) line card (2:1 oversubscribed)
• 48-port 10/100/1000 E-Series Premium PoE line card (2:1 oversubscribed)
• 6-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet E-Series line card (2.5:1 oversubscribed)
The Cisco Catalyst 4500 48-port 10/100/1000 PoE and premium PoE E-Series line cards are designed for high-performance LAN access applications. The Cisco Catalyst 4500 6-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet E-Series Line Card can be deployed for high-performance 10 Gigabit Ethernet aggregation in the campus, in small to medium-sized networks as a core switch, or in high-performance wiring closets where additional 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks are required. The Cisco Catalyst 4500 6-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet E-Series Line Card supports standard X2 optics as well as Cisco Twin Gigabit Converter modules as orderable options.
The Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series consists of four new chassis models, including 10-slot, 7-slot, 6-slot, and 3-slot versions (Figure 1). The new E-Series chassis supports the E-Series supervisor engine and E-Series line cards in addition to all currently shipping classic Cisco IOS
® supervisor engines, classic line cards dating back to 1999, and Cisco Catalyst 4500 power supplies for investment protection. The Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series chassis supports both 6 and 24 Gbps per line-card slot with no effect on performance if slot speeds are mixed in the same chassis.
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, refer to Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco Advanced Services.