Cisco announces Cisco® IOS® Software updates for Cisco Catalyst® 3750 Metro, ME 3400, ME 3400E, and ME 2400 Series Switches. This release furthers Cisco's leadership by providing enhanced routing, resiliency, security and manageability features for Metro Ethernet deployments.
This product bulletin contains content and delivery information for Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(50)SE.
The following new features are available with Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(50)SE for Metro Ethernet switches:
• Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD): Allows rapid detection of path and system failures by using a fast hello mechanism. BFD can provide failure detection on any kind of path between systems, including direct physical links, virtual circuits, multi-hop routed paths, and unidirectional links. Routing protocols supported include Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) Protocol, Integrated Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), and Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP).
• IPv6: Improves the scalability of IP networks by supporting the growing number of users, applications and services. The functionalities supported include:
IPv6 is supported on the Cisco ME 3400 and ME 3400E Series Switches.
• Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) interoperability (REP edge no neighbor): Makes it possible to achieve fast convergence of Carrier Ethernet networks even when the REP ring is terminated into a non REP-capable switch.
• REP performance improvements: Optimizes the convergence time of multicast traffic over REP access networks, thus improving overall service availability.
• IEEE 802.1x supplicant: Helps mitigate security threats in the Carrier Ethernet access network by having the switch (with a supplicant) securely authenticate itself with an upstream switch.
• Entity Sensor MIB for Digital Optical Monitoring (DOM) Small Form-Factor Pluggables (SFPs): Allows the monitoring of optical parameters on DOM SFPs.
• Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) MIB: Provides manageability for LLDP including local and remote MIBs
• CISCO-PORT-QOS-MIB enhancement: Improves the manageability aspects of the switch by monitoring additional quality-of-service (QoS) statistics. This MIB is supported only on the ME 3400 and ME 3400E Series Switches.
• 64 policers per port: Enhances service scalability by increasing the number of per port policers to 64. This enhancement applies only to the ME 3400 and ME 3400E Series Switches.
• Per port per VLAN loopback: Increases the service availability and manageability of Carrier Ethernet applications by helping service providers activate and troubleshoot new and existing services on a per VLAN basis, without impacting other services on the same port and avoiding expensive truck rolls. This feature is available on the ME 3400E Series only
• Additional dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM) SFPs qualification: The following wavelengths are added to the 32 DWDM SFPs currently supported:
Because of export restrictions on strong cryptography software, a separate image is required for the cryptographic features (Secure Shell [SSH] Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol [SNMP] v3, and Kerberos Protocol). These software images can be downloaded from the corresponding Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES) area of the links provided in this section. Note that the Cisco Advanced IP Services license is available only in cryptographic format.
Additional product information is available at the following sites: