PDF(197.4 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Apr 11, 2005
The Cisco MDS 9216 Multilayer Fabric Switch is designed for building mission-critical enterprise storage area networks (SANs) where scalability, multilayer capability, resiliency, robust security, and ease-of-management are imperative. The Cisco MDS 9216 offers the following key features:
• Compelling Economics-A modular design provides a 3 rack unit (RU) base system consisting of sixteen 2-Gbps Fibre Channel (FC) ports and can be expanded with a variety of optional switching modules to up to 48 total Fibre Channel ports.
• Cost-Effective Design-The Cisco MDS 9216 offers advanced management tools for overall lower total cost of ownership (TCO). It introduces virtual SAN (VSAN) technology for hardware-enforced isolated environments within a single physical fabric for secure sharing of physical infrastructure, further decreasing TCO.
• Multiprotocol and Multitransport-The multilayer architecture of the Cisco MDS 9216 helps enable a consistent feature set over a protocol-independent switch fabric, and easily integrates Fibre Channel, Small Computer System Interface over IP (iSCSI), and Fibre Channel over IP (FCIP) in one system. Flexible architecture allows integration of future storage protocols.
• Industry's Highest-Performance Inter-Switch Links (ISLs)-Supports up to sixteen 2-Gbps Fibre Channel links in a single PortChannel. Links may span any port on any module within a chassis for added scalability and resilience.
• Intelligent Network Services-Uses VSAN technology for hardware-enforced, isolated environments within a single physical fabric; access control lists (ACLs) for hardware-based intelligent frame processing; and advanced traffic-management features such as Fibre Channel Congestion Control (FCC) and fabric-wide quality of service (QoS) to facilitate migration from SAN islands to enterprise-wide storage networks.
• Comprehensive Network Security Framework-Supports RADIUS and TACACS+, Fibre Channel Security Protocol (FC-SP), Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), Secure Shell (SSH), and Simple Network Management Protocol Version 3 (SNMPv3) implementing Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), VSANs, hardware-enforced zoning, ACLs, and per-VSAN role-based access control.
• Sophisticated Diagnostics-Provides intelligent diagnostics, protocol decoding, and network-analysis tools as well as integrated Call Home capability for added reliability, faster problem resolution, and reduced service costs.
• Open Platform for Network-Hosted Storage Applications-The Cisco MDS 9216 provides an open platform for hosting intelligent storage services such as network-based virtualization and replication. Storage services modules can be installed in any Cisco MDS 9500 Series or Cisco MDS 9200 Series chassis to provide scalable, distributed application intelligence in the fabric.
Scalable 16-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch
The Cisco MDS 9216 Multilayer Fabric Switch (Figure 1) brings new capability and investment protection to the fabric switch market. Sharing a consistent architecture with the Cisco MDS 9500 Series, the Cisco MDS 9216 combines multilayer intelligence with a modular chassis, making it the industry's most intelligent and flexible fabric switch. Starting with sixteen 2-Gbps Fibre Channel ports, the expansion slot on the Cisco MDS 9216 allows for the addition of any current Cisco MDS 9000 Family module for up to 48 total ports. As the storage network expands further, Cisco MDS 9000 Family modules can be removed from Cisco MDS 9216 and migrated into Cisco MDS 9500 Series Multilayer Directors, providing smooth migration, common sparing, and outstanding investment protection.
Figure 1. Cisco MDS 9216 Multilayer Fabric Switch
Shown with optional 32-port Fibre Channel Switching Module
KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Introducing the VSAN
VSANs allow more efficient storage network utilization by creating hardware-based isolated environments within a single physical SAN fabric or switch. Each VSAN can be zoned as a typical SAN and maintains its own fabric services for added scalability and resilience. VSANs allow the cost of SAN infrastructure to be shared among more users, while ensuring segregation of traffic and retaining independent control of configuration on a VSAN-by-VSAN basis.
To provide fabric isolation, the Cisco MDS 9216 supports Inter-VSAN Routing, the industry's first routing function for Fibre Channel. Inter-VSAN Routing allows selective transfer of data traffic between specific initiators and targets on different VSANs while maintaining isolation of control traffic within each VSAN. Using Inter-VSAN Routing, data can transit VSAN boundaries while maintaining control plane isolation, thereby maintaining fabric stability and availability.
Multiprotocol Intelligence for Investment Protection
The unique architecture of the Cisco MDS 9216 allows seamless integration of new transport protocols for maximum flexibility. Beginning with Fibre Channel, iSCSI, FCIP, and FICON the Cisco MDS 9216 is a robust multi-protocol platform designed for deployment of cost-optimized storage networks. Today, users can implement 2-Gbps Fibre Channel for high-performance applications, iSCSI over Ethernet for cost-effective connectivity to shared storage pools, FCIP for connectivity between data centers, and FICON for mainframe connectivity. The Cisco MDS 9216 is designed to support future storage protocols so that users can seamlessly migrate to new technologies while retaining a consistent set of features, services, and management tools.
ADVANCED TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT FOR HIGH-PERFORMANCE, RESILIENT FABRICS
The following advanced traffic-management capabilities integrated into the Cisco MDS 9216 simplify deployment and optimization of large-scale fabrics.
• Virtual Output Queuing ensures line rate performance on each port, independent of traffic pattern, by eliminating head-of-line blocking.
• 255 buffer-to-buffer credits are assigned to each port for optimal bandwidth utilization across distance.
• PortChannels allow users to aggregate up to 16 physical ISLs into a single logical bundle, providing optimized bandwidth utilization across all links. The bundle can consist of any port from any module in the chassis, ensuring that the bundle remains active even in the event of a module failure.
• Fabric Shortest Path First (FSPF)-based multipathing provides the intelligence to load balance across up to 16 equal cost paths and, in the event of a switch failure, dynamically reroute traffic.
• Quality of service can be used to manage bandwidth and control latency, to prioritize critical traffic.
• Fibre Channel Congestion Control (FCC), an end-to-end, feedback-based congestion control mechanism, augments the Fibre Channel buffer-to-buffer credit mechanism to provide enhanced traffic management.
INDUSTRY'S MOST ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS AND TROUBLESHOOTING TOOLS
Management of large-scale storage networks requires proactive diagnostics, tools to verify connectivity and route latency, and mechanisms for capturing and analyzing traffic. The Cisco MDS 9000 Family integrates the industry's most advanced analysis and diagnostic tools. Power-on self test (POST) and online diagnostics provide proactive health monitoring. The Cisco MDS 9216 implements diagnostic capabilities such as Fibre Channel Traceroute for detailing the exact path and timing of flows and Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) to intelligently capture network traffic. Once traffic has been captured, it can then be analyzed with the Cisco Fabric Analyzer, an embedded Fibre Channel analyzer. Comprehensive port- and flow-based statistics facilitate sophisticated performance analysis and service-level agreement (SLA) accounting. With the Cisco MDS 9000 Family, Cisco Systems
® delivers the most comprehensive tool set for troubleshooting and analysis of storage networks.
COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTION FOR ROBUST SECURITY
Addressing the need for airtight security in storage networks, the Cisco MDS 9216 offers an extensive security framework to protect highly sensitive data crossing today's enterprise networks. The Cisco MDS 9216 employs intelligent packet inspection at the port level, including the application of ACLs for hardware enforcement of zones, VSANs, and advanced Port Security features.
Extended zoning capabilities are enabled to ensure that LUNs are accessible only by specific hosts (LUN zoning), to limit SCSI read command for a certain zone (read-only zoning), and to restrict broadcasts to only the selected zones (broadcast zones). VSANs are used to achieve higher security and greater stability by providing complete isolation among devices that are connected to the same physical SAN. In addition, Fibre Channel Security Protocol (FC-SP) provides switch-switch and host switch Diffie-Hellman Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (DH-CHAP) authentication supporting RADIUS or TACACS+, to ensure that only authorized devices access protected storage networks.
This functionality, in conjunction with management access and control plane security, makes the Cisco MDS 9000 Family the most secure platform of its kind.
EASE OF MANAGEMENT
Delivering SAN capabilities means delivering management capabilities. To meet the needs of all users, the Cisco MDS 9216 provides three principal modes of management: Cisco MDS 9000 Family Command Line Interface (CLI), Cisco Fabric Manager, and integration with third-party storage management tools.
The Cisco MDS 9216 presents a consistent, logical CLI. Adhering to the syntax of widely known Cisco IOS
® Software CLI, the Cisco MDS 9000 Family CLI is easy to learn and delivers broad management capability. The Cisco MDS 9000 Family CLI is an extremely efficient and direct interface designed to provide optimal functionality to administrators in enterprise environments.
Cisco Fabric Manager is a responsive, easy-to-use Java application that simplifies management across multiple switches and fabrics. Cisco Fabric Manager enables administrators to perform vital tasks such as topology discovery, fabric configuration and verification, provisioning, monitoring, and fault resolution. All functions are available through a secure interface, enabling remote management from any location.
Cisco Fabric Manager may be used independently or in conjunction with third-party management applications. Cisco provides an extensive API for integration with third-party and user developed management tools.
ADVANCED SOFTWARE PACKAGES
The Cisco MDS 9216 can be further enhanced through additional software packages that offer advanced intelligence and functionality. Currently available software packages include the following:
• Cisco Enterprise Package-The Cisco Enterprise Package includes a set of traffic engineering and advanced security features like Inter-VSAN Routing, QoS, Switch-Switch and Host-Switch Authentication, LUN Zoning, and Read-Only Zones that are recommended for all enterprise SANs.
• SAN Extension over IP Package-The Cisco SAN Extension over IP Package provides an integrated, cost-effective, and reliable business continuance solution that leverages IP infrastructure by offering FCIP for remote SAN extension, along with a variety of advanced features to optimize the performance and manageability of FCIP links.
• Cisco Mainframe Package-The Cisco Mainframe Package is a comprehensive collection of features required for using the Cisco MDS 9500 Series and MDS 9200 Series switches in mainframe storage networks, including FICON protocol, CUP management, switch cascading, fabric binding, and intermixing.
• Cisco Fabric Manager Server Package-The Cisco Fabric Manager Server (FMS) Package extends Cisco Fabric Manager by providing historical performance monitoring for network traffic hot-spot analysis, centralized management services, and advanced application integration.
The modular design of the Cisco MDS 9216 gives it the ability to support current Cisco MDS 9000 Family switching or services module. Currently available modules include the following:
• 16-port and 32-port 2-Gbps Fibre Channel switching modules.
• The IP Services Module supporting iSCSI and FCIP over both four and eight ports of Gigabit Ethernet.
• The Multiprotocol Services Module supporting 14 ports of 2-Gbps Fibre Channel, and iSCSI and FCIP over two ports of Gigabit Ethernet.
• The Advanced Services Module and Caching Services Module supporting integrated network-hosted application services.
Optionally configurable, these modules give the Cisco MDS 9216 unparalleled functionality and versatility.
Fibre Channel Switching Modules
The Cisco MDS 9216 supports 16-port and 32-port Fibre Channel switching modules (Figure 2), for maximum configuration flexibility. Each module also supports hot-swappable, Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP), LC interfaces. Modules can be configured with either short or long wavelength SFPs for connectivity up to 500 meters and 10 kilometers, respectively. All interfaces are 2-Gbps compatible. Up to 255 buffer credits per port are supported for maximum extensibility without the requirement for additional licensing. Additionally each port can be configured to operate in the following modes: E_Port, F_Port, FL_Port, SD_Port, TE_Port, and TL_Port.
Figure 2. Cisco MDS 9000 Family 16-Port and 32-Port Fibre Channel Switching Modules
IP Storage Services Modules
The Cisco MDS 9216 Multilayer Fabric Switch supports 4-port and 8-port IP Services Modules (Figure 3), allowing easy integration of Fibre Channel and IP storage environments. Multiprotocol storage networks allow for cost optimization, with iSCSI connectivity for midrange applications and Fibre Channel connectivity for high-end applications. The Cisco MDS 9000 Family IP Services Modules provide either four or eight ports of iSCSI and FCIP routing. Each port connection is via a Gigabit Ethernet SFP interface. Individual ports are user-configurable for iSCSI and FCIP for cost-effective data center and wide area connectivity.
Figure 3. Cisco MDS 9000 Family 4-Port and 8-Port IP Storage Services Modules
Multiprotocol Services Module
The Cisco MDS 9000 Family 14/2-port Multiprotocol Services Module (Figure 4) delivers the intelligence and advanced features required to make multilayer SANs a reality, by integrating in a single module the functions offered by the Cisco 16-Port Fibre Channel Switching Module and the Cisco IP Storage Services Module. The Cisco MDS 9000 Family 14/2-port Multiprotocol Services Module nearly doubles the Fibre Channel port density of the Cisco MDS 9216 when used in the expansion slot, while at the same time providing IP connectivity.
Figure 4. Cisco MDS 9000 Family Multiprotocol Storage Services Module
Advanced Services Modules
The Cisco MDS 9000 Family 32-port Fibre Channel Advanced Services Module (Figure 5) facilitates pooling of heterogeneous storage for increased storage usage, simplified storage management, and reduced TCO. The Cisco Advanced Services Module incorporates all the capability of the Cisco MDS 9000 Family Fibre Channel Switching Module and also provides scalable, in-band storage virtualization services. Using highly integrated VERITAS Storage Foundation for Networks software available from VERITAS and a highly distributed processing architecture, the Cisco Advanced Services Module delivers best-in-class virtualization performance, which can be scaled by simply adding modules anywhere in the fabric to meet the performance needs of even the largest enterprises.
Figure 5. Cisco MDS 9000 Family Advanced Services Module
Caching Services Module
Cisco has teamed with IBM to offer a network-based storage-management solution, which provides customers the ability to securely virtualize their storage from within the network. The Cisco MDS 9000 Family Caching Services Module (Figure 6) integrates two high-performance processing nodes that, when combined with IBM TotalStorage SAN Volume Controller Storage Software for the Cisco MDS 9000 Family, deliver network-hosted virtualization and replication services. Each Caching Services Module includes 8 GB of local cache. Multiple caching services modules can be clustered within the fabric to provide additional scalability and availability.
Figure 6. Cisco MDS 9000 Family Caching Services Module
Storage Services Module
The Cisco MDS 9000 Family Storage Services Module (Figure 7) incorporates all the capabilities of the Cisco MDS 9000 Family 32-Port Fibre Channel Switching Module, introducing in addition a variety of innovative storage services. Taking advantage of the high-speed inline SCSI processing performed by dedicated application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), the Cisco Storage Services Module allows users to dramatically enhance the performance of synchronous data replication deployments through Fibre Channel Write Acceleration or to enable more efficient and reliable serverless backup solutions, lowering the overall TCO and ensuring investment protection for the existing backup infrastructure. Introducing the Cisco MDS 9000 Family SAN Tap protocol, the Cisco Storage Services Module enables to seamlessly integrate a variety of appliance-based storage services in the existing SAN without compromising its integrity and availability. Based on the standard Fabric Application Interface Standard (FAIS) and empowered by a unique distributed processing architecture, network-hosted storage applications reside on the Cisco Storage Services Module to provide high-performing, ready to scale virtualization solutions.
Figure 7. Cisco MDS 9000 Family Storage Services Module
Table 1 lists the product specifications for the Cisco MDS 9216.
• Relative humidity, ambient (non-condensing) non-operating and storage
– 10 to 95 percent
• Altitude, operating
– -197 to 6500 feet (-60 to 2000 meter)
• Dimensions in inches (H x W x D)
– 5.25 x 17.32 x 22.66 inches (13.34 x 43.99 x 57.56 cm), 3 Rack Units (RU)
– All units rack mountable in standard 19 inch EIA rack
– Fully configured chassis with optional Switching Module: 70 lbs (32 kg)
Power and Cooling
• Power supply (845W AC)
– AC input characteristics
– 100 to 240 VAC (10% range)
– 50-60Hz (nominal)
– 200 linear feet per minute (lfm) through system fan assembly
– Cisco recommends that you maintain a minimum air space of 2.5 inches (6.4cm) between walls and the chassis air vents and a minimum horizontal separation of 6 inches (15.2 cm) between two chassis to prevent overheating.
Approvals and Compliance
• Safety Compliance
– CE Marking
– UL 60950
– CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950
– EN 60950
– IEC 60950
– TS 001
– AS/NZS 3260
– 21 CFR 1040
• EMC Compliance
– FCC Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
– ICES-003 Class A
– EN 55022 Class A
– CISPR 22 Class A
– AS/NZS 3548 Class A
– VCCI Class A
– EN 55024
– EN 50082-1
– EN 61000-6-1
– EN 61000-3-2
– EN 61000-3-3
Table 2 lists ordering information for the Cisco MDS 9216.
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.