Continuous Data Protection Protects PCs, Notebook Computers, and Workstations
• Transparent, real-time file replication that installs in minutes, operates in the background, and requires no user intervention
• Redundant: A copy is stored on the local disk, another copy can be sent to a Cisco Small Business Network Storage System, and another copy can be sent offsite or to service provider-managed storage
• Highly secure: Retains files for predefined lengths of time; after a file is vaulted it cannot be modified or deleted until the specified time
• Offers customizable options for high-priority and low-priority files
The data protection landscape is changing. Computer viruses, corruption, data theft, mechanical failure, natural disaster, and user error are still primary threats, but the way we create and store data is evolving.
With travel, remote offices, and telecommuting, business is on the move. Analysts estimate that more than 60 percent of corporate data now exists on workstations, desktops, and notebook PCs. In smaller businesses this figure often climbs above 90 percent. And because these distributed files represent the projects that users are working on "right now," they are often the only existing copy. This new, unprotected data is exponentially more valuable because it is more costly and disruptive to re-create. For example, it takes about 19 days and costs $17,000 to retype 20 MB of sales data. Re-creating the same volume of accounting data takes approximately 21 days and costs $19,000.
With data among the most valuable assets in the business environment, distributed data requires proactive protection that is fast, flexible, and transparent.
® LBACDP Continuous Data Protection for Files (CDP for Files) is a real-time, continuous data protection solution specifically designed to deliver protection for PCs, notebook computers, and workstations. Instead of waiting for a scheduled interval, CDP for Files backs up critical files the moment they are saved, in real time. What's more, it does this effortlessly and transparently, eliminating opportunities for user error or negligence and reducing the vulnerability created by scheduled "backup windows."
Highly affordable, simple to deploy, and offering multilayered file protection, Cisco LBACDP Continuous Data Protection for Files is the preferred way to protect distributed data assets. In addition to providing overall cost savings for businesses, CDP for Files offers the following benefits:
• Improves backup resource utilization by reducing or eliminating backup times
• Improves recovery point objective (RPO) by:
– Providing real-time backups so that when a failure occurs, recovery can truly restore the latest version
– Reducing loss of productivity due to data loss
• Improves recovery time objective (RTO) by:
– Enabling fast recovery from disk (local or remote)
– Improving IT staff productivity because users can easily recover data without involving IT staff
CDP offers three types of file protection:
• Continuous protection:Every time a file is saved, a backup copy is created. The backup copy exactly matches the original file as you last saved it. If you choose to save more than one version of a backup copy, the previous backup copies will match the previous versions of your file.
• Scheduled protection: Unlike continuous protection, scheduled protection copies files to the remote storage area on a fixed timetable. The files are not backed up every time you save them. If a file is lost between the time it was saved and the time it is backed up, you will be able to restore only the previous version of the file.
Email files have scheduled protection. If the storage area is unavailable when a protected file is saved, CDP for Files will maintain an internal copy and create the backup copy on the remote storage area when it becomes available.
• Vaulting:Vaulted files and folders cannot be modified or deleted. Once a file is vaulted, it cannot be modified or deleted until the specified time. CDP for Files provides write protection for the most important files.
• Provides a small footprint
• Installs and configures in minutes
• Does not require a server component
• Operates in the background
• Requires no user intervention
• Tolerates transient networks
• Provides file versions for point-in-time recovery
• Works with traditional third-party backup solutions
• File vault retains files for predefined lengths of time
Table 1 gives the specifications, package contents, and minimum requirements for Cisco LBACDP Continuous Data Protection for Files.
Table 1. Specifications for Cisco LBACDP Continuous Data Protection for Files
• LBACDP03: 3-user license
• LBACDP15: 15-user license
• LBACDP25: 25-user license
Software language support
Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Spanish, Turkish.
• CD-ROM with software and user guide
• 32-bit Intel Pentium or compatible processor, or multiprocess computer
• 500-MHz CPU or higher
• 256 MB RAM
• 100 MB disk space
• Compatible operating system:
• 32-bit Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server, SP2 or later (x86-32)
• 32-bit Windows XP Professional, SP1 or later (x86-32)
• 32-bit Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition (x86-32)
• 32-bit Windows Vista (Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise)
• A browser is required to use the CDP graphical user interface:
• Internet Explorer, version 5.0 or later (recommended)
• Mozilla Firefox, version 220.127.116.11 or later
90-day limited software warranty
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with a 90-day limited software warranty. In addition, Cisco offers software application updates for bug fixes and telephone technical support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase. To download software updates, go to: