® UCS C-Series Rack-Mount Servers extend unified computing innovations to an industry-standard form factor to help reduce total cost of ownership (TCO) and increase business agility. Designed to operate both in standalone environments and as part of the Cisco Unified Computing System
™, the series employs Cisco technology to help customers handle the most challenging workloads. The series incorporates a standards-based unified network fabric, Cisco VN-Link virtualization support, and Cisco Extended Memory Technology. It supports an incremental deployment model and protects customer investments with a future migration path to unified computing.
The Cisco UCS C200 M2 High-Density Rack-Mount Server is a high-density server with balanced compute performance and I/O flexibility (Figure 1). This price-to-performance optimized two-socket, one-rack-unit (1RU) rack-mount server is designed to balance simplicity, performance, and density for web infrastructure and mainstream data center, small-office, and remote-office applications. Its single-rack-unit size makes it useful for service providers offering dedicated or multi-tenant hosting, and its economical price makes it well suited to the appliance market.
Building on the success of the Cisco UCS C200 M1 High-Density Rack-Mount Server, the Cisco UCS C200 M2 server extends the capabilities of the Cisco Unified Computing System with the next generation of Intel processor technology: Intel
® 5600 series processors. These powerful processors deliver more cores, threads, and cache, all within a similar power envelope, with even faster payback, greater productivity, and better energy efficiency than preceding models. When put into production, Cisco Unified Computing System and Intel Xeon 5600 series processors together offer further reductions in TCO, increased business agility and another big leap forward in data center virtualization.
Figure 1. Cisco UCS C200 M2 Server
The Cisco UCS C200 M2 server is a high-density general-purpose two-socket server optimized to deliver high performance in a compact, 1RU form factor. Based on Intel Xeon 5600 series processors, the server provides excellent performance and value for workloads including the following:
• Horizontally scaled applications such as web servers in which both performance and density are important
• Application server workloads where multiple processor cores contribute directly to higher performance
• Infrastructure applications including mail and messaging servers, firewalls, file and print servers, and intrusion-detection systems
• Small-office and remote-office applications
• Service provider infrastructure for both shared and dedicated hosting models
Features and Benefits
The Cisco UCS C200 M2 server extends Cisco's product portfolio to meet the needs of customers that choose to deploy rack-mount servers. The server enables organizations to deploy systems incrementally - using as many or as few servers as needed - on a schedule that best meets the organization's timing and budget.
Designed to operate both in standalone environments and as part of the Cisco Unified Computing System, the server combines high-capacity disk storage and I/O configurations with Cisco innovations, including a unified network fabric and network-aware Cisco VN-Link technology.
The server brings differentiation and value to what has been a commodity market with products not optimized to meet the needs of virtualized data centers. Available from Cisco and its data center network infrastructure (DCNI) partners, the server advances the rack-mount server market with the features outlined in Table 1.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
10-Gbps unified network fabric
• Low-latency, lossless, 10-Gbps Ethernet and industry-standard Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) fabric
• Wire-once deployment model in which changing I/O configurations no longer means installing adapters and recabling racks and switches
• Fewer interface cards, cables, and upstream network ports to purchase, power, configure, and maintain
• Cisco VN-Link technology, I/O virtualization, and Intel Xeon 5600 series processor features, extending the network directly to virtual machines
• Consistent and scalable operational model
• Increased security and efficiency with reduced complexity
Unified management* (when integrated into the Cisco Unified Computing System)
• Entire solution managed as a single entity with Cisco UCS Manager, improving operational efficiency and flexibility
• Service profiles and templates that implement role- and policy-based management, enabling more effective use of skilled server, network, and storage administrators
• Automated provisioning and increased business agility, allowing data center managers to provision applications in minutes rather than days
Six-core Intel Xeon 5600 series processors
• Intelligent performance that automatically adjusts processor performance to meet application demands, increasing performance when needed and achieving substantial energy savings when not
• Automated energy efficiency that reduces energy costs by automatically putting the processor and memory in the lowest available power state while still delivering the performance required
• Flexible virtualization technology that optimizes performance for virtualized environments, including processor support for migration and direct I/O
• With more cores, threads, and cache in a similar power envelope, the Cisco Unified Computing System and Intel Xeon 5600 series processors together offer further reductions in TCO, increased business agility, and another big leap forward in data center virtualization.
• Cisco C-series servers keep pace with Intel Xeon processor innovation by offering the latest series 5600 processors with an increase in processor frequency and improved security features. With the increased clock speed, the Intel Xeon 5600 series based UCS C-Series rack mount servers will offer improved price/performance making UCS servers one of the best values in the industry.
Hot-swappable SAS, SATA or SSD drives
• Up to 8 front-accessible, hot-swappable, internal 2.5-inch SAS, SATA or SSD drives or 4 front-accessible, hot-swappable, internal 3.5-inch SAS or SATA drives, providing redundancy options and ease of serviceability
• Balanced performance and capacity to best meet application needs:
• 15,000-RPM SAS drives for highest performance
• 7200-RPM SAS drive for high capacity and performance
• 7200-RPM SATA II drives for high capacity and value
RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and 60 support
• Built-in RAID 0 and 1 support for up to four or eight SATA drives
• RAID 0, 1 and 1E support for up to four or eight SAS, SATA or SSD drives with optional mezzanine card
• RAID 0, 1, 5, 6,10, 50 and 60 support for four or eight SAS, SATA or SSD drives with optional LSI MegaRAID card
Cisco UCS Integrated Management Controller
• Web user interface for server management; remote keyboard, video, and mouse (KVM); virtual media; and administration
• Virtual media support for remote KVM and CD and DVD drives as if local
• Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) 2.0 support for out-of-band management through third-party enterprise management systems
• Command-line interface (CLI) for server management
12 DIMM slots supporting up to 192 GB of 1333-MHz memory for optimal performance
Redundant fans and power supplies
Dual-redundant fans and hot-swappable, redundant power supplies for enterprise-class reliability and uptime
Support for up to 2 PCIe 2.0 slots
• Flexibility, increased performance, and compatibility with industry standards
• PCIe 2.0 slots, which double bandwidth over the previous generation and offer more flexibility while maintaining compatibility with PCIe 1.1
• * I/O performance and flexibility with 1 low-profile x8, half-length and 1 full-height x16, half-length slot
Integrated dual-port Gigabit Ethernet
• Outstanding network I/O performance and increased network efficiency and flexibility
• Increased network availability when configured in failover configurations
Direct front-panel read/write access to optional CD and DVD media
Table 2 lists the specifications for the Cisco UCS C200 M2 server.
Table 2. Product Specifications
• 1 or 2 Intel Xeon Series 5500 or 5600 processors
• Choice of processors: Intel Xeon X5670, X5650, X5675, L5640, E5649, E5645, E5640, E5620, E5506, or E5606
• 12 DIMM slots for up to 192 GB of memory using 16-GB DIMMs
• Support for DDR3 registered DIMMs
• Support for DDR3 low-voltage DIMMs
• Advanced ECC
• Mirroring option
• 2 PCIe Gen 2.0 slots available
• 1 x16 full-height and 1 x8 low-profile slots, both half-length
• x16 connector on full-height slot and x8 connector on low-profile slot
Up to 8 front-accessible, hot-swappable, 2.5-inch SAS, SATA or SSD drives or 4 front-accessible, hot-swappable, 3.5-inch SAS or SATA drives
Using a unified view of data center resources, Cisco and our industry-leading partners deliver services that accelerate your transition to a Cisco UCS C-Series Rack-Mount Server solution. Cisco Unified Computing Services help you quickly deploy the servers, optimize ongoing operations to better meet your business needs, and migrate to Cisco's unified computing architecture. For more information, visit