ADDENDUM IN REFERENCE TO ORIGINAL EOL NOTICE #2166
The date which the addendum was published.
March 3, 2004
The date which the change are effective.
March 3, 2004
Original Bulletin announcement date
The document date of the original end of sale and end of life of a product to the general public.
May 12, 2003
Revised August 22, 2003
Original Bulletin information
Original Bulletin Number
Bulletin number: 2166
Cisco Systems® announces the end of life of the Cisco® IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x for Cisco IDS 4200 Series sensors. The last day to order the Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x is February 28, 2004. The last day to issue Software signature releases for Version 3.x is July 31, 2004. Customers will continue to receive support from the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) until February 28, 2006. Table 1 describes the end-of-life milestones, definitions, and dates for the Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x.
Customers are encouraged to upgrade their software to Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 4.0 for the Cisco IDS 4200 Series Sensor. Cisco IDS 4.0 supports a scalable communications infrastructure and provides a common code base across IDS platforms that results in feature/function parity throughout the product line. In addition, there are numerous usability enhancements, provision of a full-featured command-line interface, extensions to sensor response actions, advanced event filtering capabilities, advanced diagnostic engines, and enhancements to secure communications.
Table 1. End-of-Life Milestones and Dates for the Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x
End-of-life announcement date
The date the end-of-sale and end-of-life announcement is distributed to the general public.
May 12, 2003
End of sale date
The last date to order Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x through Cisco point-of-sale mechanisms. The product is no longer for sale.
February 28, 2004
End of Signature Updates- note 2
The last date that Cisco will release signature updates.
April 29, 2004
Last shipment date
The last possible date that Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers will ship Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x.
May 31, 2004
End of software maintenance releases date
The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.
February 28, 2005
End of new service attachment date
For equipment and software that is not covered by a service-and-support contract, this is the last date to order a new service-and-support contract or add the equipment and/or software to an existing service-and-support contract.
February 28, 2005
End of service contract renewal date
The last date to extend or renew a service contract for the product. The extension or renewal period cannot extend beyond the last date of support.
February 28, 2006
Last date of support
The last date to receive service and support for Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x. After this date, all support services for Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete.
February 28, 2007
End-of-Sale Product Part Number
IDS-SW-K9-U (for version 3.x)
Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x for Cisco IDS 4200 Series Sensor
1. Note that future sensor software versions will also use this part number. At the end-of-sale date, the inclusion of the Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.1 CD with this part number will be discontinued.
Signature updates are considered product enhancement which are typically ended at the End of Sale Date; however, signature release will continue to be provided till July 31, 2004 as a one time effort under the following conditions
1. The estimated frequency for the signature release will be every 4-6 weeks (not on a bi-weekly basis) and will coincide with the signature releases for be delivered for the IDSM1 (Intrusion Detection System Module-1). The signature releases will continue to be cumulative.
2. There maybe signature updates created for Cisco's IDS Sensor Software Version 4.X that will not be delivered for Version 3.X (e.g. Version 3.X does not support a Layer 2 engine).
3. Cisco will deliver parameters for custom signatures on the version 3.x code base for late-breaking worms that are discovered between signature releases. These custom signature parameters will be posted on the Cisco Networking Professionals Connection after the worm is discovered. These signatures will eventually be rolled into the subsequent regular signature update. Cisco will post these to a limited access files within the Networking Professionals site at:
http://www.cisco.com/discuss/security-which will eventually be rolled into the subsequent signature update.
4. Customer must have an active service contract to obtain the 3.X signature releases-which will be posted to the Software Center download site on Cisco.com. Contact you account manager for details.
5. Specific terms, pricing, and availability apply, contact account manager for details.
CISCO IDS SENSOR SOFTWARE VERSION 3.X UPGRADE OPTIONS
The upgrade from Cisco IDS Sensor Software Version 3.x to Version 4.0 requires a CD. Customers with Cisco SMARTnet
® maintenance contracts can obtain the CD at no charge. CD requests can be made at: