Cisco IOS Content Filtering is a Web security solution that helps organizations protect against known and new Internet threats, improve employee productivity, and enforce business policies for regulatory compliance.
Cisco IOS Content Filtering is ideally suited for small medium businesses and enterprise branch offices that need a scalable, low-maintenance solution.
As employees surf the internet, they expose themselves to websites that are known to give out malware, adware, spyware, and phishing. This not only causes downtime, but also revenue losses. According to an Infonetics Research (2006), nearly 2 percent of revenue losses and 51 percent of downtime costs are due to security costs.
Deployed on Cisco
® integrated services routers, Cisco IOS Content Filtering offers category-based productivity and security ratings. Content-aware security ratings protect against malware, malicious code, phishing attacks, and spyware. URL and keyword blocking help to ensure that employees are productive when accessing the Internet. This is a subscription-based hosted solution that leverages Trend Micro's global TrendLabs™ threat database, and is closely integrated with Cisco IOS.
The Cisco IOS Content Filtering solution reduces network complexity by eliminating the need for a standalone content filtering product. Cisco ISR customers are not required to purchase and manage additional hardware for web filtering which reduces both capital and operational expenses for the organization.
It interoperates with other Cisco IOS Software components such as Cisco IOS Firewall, Cisco IOS IPS, VPN functions, and per-user authentication and authorization to provide outstanding value and benefits:
• Improves employee productivity and reduces organizational risk: Cisco IOS Content Filtering helps organizations restrict Internet use that exposes them to risks such as inappropriate use of company resources, legal liability, and productivity losses.
• Prevents malware exposure: Cisco IOS Content Filtering blocks users from accessing Websites that are known to dispense malicious code (key loggers, adware, Trojans, spyware, phishing, etc.).
• Enforces compliance: Regulations such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), and Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) mandate reliable content filtering. Cisco IOS Content Filtering uses industry-leading technology validated by TrendMicro's TrendLabs™, a global network of research centers committed to constant threat surveillance and attack prevention.
• Conserves network resources: Cisco IOS Content Filtering enables an organization to set security policies that limit Internet access. This prevents bandwidth-intensive applications and malware from being downloaded, thereby protecting network resources.
• Eases provisioning and management: Easy-to-use Web-based Cisco Configuration Professional enables rapid deployment of Cisco IOS Content Filtering registration and policies.
Figure 1 shows the components of IOS Content Filtering.
Figure 1. IOS Content Filtering Components
Table 1 lists the features and benefits of Cisco IOS Content Filtering
Table 1. Cisco IOS Content Filtering Features and Benefits
Easy-to-renew 1-year subscription-based service is associated to the router platform; no individual user licenses are required. Subscription provides access to Trend Micro's database, with content filtering policies set on the router.
Protection against a variety of web-based threats, including zero-day attacks. Assesses the security risk posed by a Web site based on our risk analysis. Helps combat phishing and guards against spyware that may send confidential information to hackers and cybercriminals. The reputation security Rating for a given URL based on a combination of past behavior and current exposure to malware, adware, phishing, spyware, and hacking provides the utmost level of web security for your network.
Category-Based URL Classification
Over 70+ Categories Available
Content-based classification of URLs helps restrict access to objectionable or productivity-affecting Websites (sites focusing on gambling or weapons, for example). Categories for reputation-based blocking (spyware and keylogging, for example) are also available.
Cisco IOS Content Filtering allows blocking of Websites based on selected keywords that occur in the URL.
Black and White List Support
Cisco IOS Content Filtering supports 100 black and 1000white URLs . For example, trusted Websites can be added to a white list.
Cisco IOS Content Filtering is easy to use and deploy. It is managed through Cisco Configuration Professional, a Web-based router management tool, and through CSM (Cisco Security Manager)
The caching feature stores URL categories and their policy decisions (permit or deny) locally on the router, ensuring quick response time to access the Internet. Administrators can configure the cache duration on the router.
Cisco IOS Content Filtering is available in 1 year license subscriptions. A 30-day free trial license is also available. Table 2 lists the available SKUs.
Services from Cisco and our certified partners can help you transform the branch experience and accelerate business innovation and growth in the Borderless Network. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to create a clear, replicable, optimized branch footprint across technologies. Planning and design services align technology with business goals and can increase the accuracy, speed, and efficiency of deployment. Technical services help improve operational efficiency, save money, and mitigate risk. Optimization services are designed to continuously improve performance and help your team succeed with new technologies.