Managing Remote Networked Systems
• Growing IT assets but limited or no IT staff in the branch
• The need to manage increasing branch infrastructure (file and print servers, e-mail and security appliances, routers and switches)
• Outdated hardware, operating systems, and applications
• The need to reduce power consumption and manage cooling and space needs
• The need to manage assets (asset tracking, license management, patch/upgrades)
• The increasing use of valuable network bandwidth for management instead of revenue-producing business operations
• Geographically scattered assets and varied and inconsistent management tools creating security vulnerabilities
• Difficulty in complying with regulatory requirements
• The increasing security risk from remote access to branch equipment
• The high costs to enable maintenance and patching
• The need for additional devices to implement branch management solutions, creating even more complexity and costs
How It Works
Figure 1. Branch Offices Managed by Avocent Software on AXP
AXP Product Overview
• Application Runtime Network Module providing dedicated resources to host applications.
• Application Extensions Platform Hosting environment providing the infrastructure to securely host, install, upgrade, manage and 3rd party applications and services.
• IOS Integration APIs allowing the application to integrate and leverage the features of the router.
• Software Developer Kit (SDK) allowing certified customers and partners to develop applications and services.
• AXP Partner Program provides the collateral, extended technical support and online resources to help partners, develop, deploy and market their AXP based solutions.
Productivity, Simplicity, Lower Costs
• Increases IT staff productivity, reduces need for IT staff in branch offices, increases network availability
• Reduces overall solution cost, eliminates additional hardware while providing secure access
• Provides simpler branch management with fewer applications and appliances
• Eliminates costly physical inventory procedures
• Holistic and extended network management
• Anytime, anywhere access to servers at remote locations by IT personnel
• Improved MTTR and reduced costs by not having to be physically present to effectively manage devices at remote sites
• Help with ensuring continual uptime and availability of critical servers at remote sites
• A simple, unified interface to access servers manufactured by multiple suppliers, which lowers training costs and provides new capabilities with minimal effort
• Helps ensure the integrity of remote devices-branch assets remain updated and secure
• Enforces corporate security standards on devices attaching to the branch network
• Helps avoid the risk of business interruptions from unintentional or malicious attacks
• Identifies servers and PCs that are at risk
• Gives IT administrators the ability to control access to any server based on desired IT function, geographical location, or other criteria identified by IT
• Access and control remote servers anytime, anywhere, while maintaining auditable security control
• Monitoring devices to ensure compliance
• Sending and receiving alerts when compliance is compromised
• Enforcing policies manually or automatically through Avocent consoles
• Generating reports to review for adaptations to corporate procedures and policies and present to corporate executives and regulatory bodies to demonstrate compliance
About Avocent and LANDesk