Cisco Systems® announces the end-of-sale and end-of-life dates for the Cisco® ACNS Software Version 5.2. The last day to order the affected product is March 31, 2006. Customers with active service contracts will continue to receive support from the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) until March 31, 2009.
Table 1 describes the end-of-life milestones, definitions, and dates for the affected product. Table 2 lists the product part numbers affected by this announcement.
Table 1. End-of-Life Milestones and Dates for the Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.2
End-of-Life Announcement Date
The date the document that announces the end of sale and end of life of a product is distributed to the general public.
November 7, 2005
The last date to order the product through Cisco point-of-sale mechanisms. The product is no longer for sale after this date.
March 31, 2006
Last Shipment Date
The last-possible ship date that can be requested of Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers. Actual ship date is dependent on lead time.
April 30, 2006
End of Software Maintenance Releases Date
The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software. After this date, customers will be required to migrate to later software releases to obtain bug fixes.
March 31, 2007
Last Date of Support
The last date to receive service and support for the product. After this date, all support services for the product are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete.
March 31, 2009
Table 2. Product Part Numbers Affected by This Announcement
End-of-Sale Product Part Number
Replacement Product Part Number
Replacement Product Description
Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.2 for serial-advanced-technology-attachment (SATA) appliance platforms
Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.3 for SATA platforms
Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.2 for Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) appliance platforms
Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.3 for SCSI platforms
Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.2 for Content Engine Network Module (NM-CE) platforms
Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.3 for NM-CE platforms
PRODUCT MIGRATION OPTIONS
The recommended replacement for the Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.2 is the Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.3 (Table 3), which adds features to improve Windows Media Technologies (WMT) streaming and core proxy functions while continuing to lower total cost of ownership (TCO) and simplify management. New features in Cisco ACNS Software Version 5.3 include:
Video Streaming Features
• Windows Media Player v9 and v10 support with Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
• Fast Start and Fast Cache for support with RTSP
• Multicast redundancy failover for live WMT
• Bandwidth limiting based on client IP ranges
• MPEG-4/QuickTime Rebroadcast from disk
Management and Monitoring Functions
• Command-line interface (CLI) that reports WMT live unicast streams by URL
• New WMT troubleshooting tools
• Upgrades that include only the changed files
• Secure FTP (SFTP) for accessing administrative files on customer edge
• Login banner for Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Version 2 and Telnet logins
• New hard disk diagnostic tools
Application Acceleration and Proxy Features
• Acquire from URLs which include "?"
• Faster replication for high-bandwidth networks
• Quality of service (QoS) on acquisition
• FTP proxy supported with Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP) and proxy configuration
• On-box support for Websense authentication modules