To meet the need for increased router features and performance, Cisco Systems® introduces its newest packet-over-SONET (POS) port adapter: the Cisco 1-Port OC-3/ STM-1 POS Port Adapter. The Cisco® 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter is ideal for service providers or large enterprises that need to deploy line-rate OC-3/STM-1 connectivity with choice of optics.
The Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter (shown in Figure 1) combines superior performance and an innovative design to provide the following benefits:
• Line-rate performance
• Automatic protection switching (APS) failover between cards
• Modular, pluggable optics; three types are available: Multimode (MM), Single-Mode Intermediate Reach (IR1), and Single-Mode Long Reach (LR1).
Figure 1. Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter Modular Optics
Features and Benefits
Table 1 describes the features and benefits of the Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter.
Table 1. Features and Benefits of the Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter
Depending on processing engine, provides line-rate bidirectional performance
Provides failover protection between POS port adapters
Modular Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) optics
Greater flexibility in deployment and choice of optics
Performance constrained only by processing engine
The Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter offers support for one modular SFP optics. Figure 1 illustrates the port adapter modular optics.
The Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter supports one port of any of the following SFP optics: MM, IR1, and LR1. The "Product Ordering" section of this document provides product part numbers for the SFPs used with the Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter.
Chassis and Processors
The Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter is supported on the platforms and processors listed in Table 2.
Table 2. Chassis and Processor Compatibility
Cisco 7204VXR, 7206VXR, 7301
NPE-G2, NPE-G1, NPE-400
NSE-100 and NPE-G100
FlexWan and Enhanced FlexWan
The Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter interoperates with all OC-3 POS port adapters with the Cisco 7200VXR, 7301, 7304, and 7600 Series routers.
The Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter is supported in Cisco IOS
® Software Release 12.3(10), 12.0S, 12.2S, 12.2SX, 12.2(28)SB, 12.4XD and later. The Cisco 7304 supports this PA in 12.2(31)SB and above. Consult your Cisco representative for more details.
The primary features of the Cisco 1-Port OC-3/STM-1 POS Port Adapter are described in this section.
Hardware and Software Features
• Single-wide port adapter form factor
• One concatenated OC-3/STM-1 port
• Line-rate performance
• Online insertion and removal (OIR)
• Modular optics supporting single-mode (intermediate reach and long reach) and multimode
• Weight: Approximately 14 ounces
• Dimensions (H x W x D): Approximately 1 x 6 5/8 x 5 inches (body only)
• Approximately 1 x 6 5/8 x 7 inches (overall)
• Storage temperature: -38 to 150°F (-40 to 70°C)
• Operating temperature, nominal: 25°C (ranges 0 to 40°C)