® is introducing two new features on all Cisco
® 2600XM Series multiservice routers. The first is a new 128-MB synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM) dual in-line memory module (DIMM) for use in all the new and existing Cisco 2600XM Series multiservice routers. This new 128-MB DIMM offers higher-density memory, providing the ability to support memory increases to
256 MB of DRAM
(with the correct ROM monitor [ROMmon]). All Cisco 2650XM Multiservice Router, Cisco 2651XM Multiservice Router, and Cisco 2600XM Series bundles and upgrades to 128 MB of DRAM are now shipping with one 128-MB SDRAM DIMM instead of two 64-MB SDRAM DIMMs. This allows for the second slot to remain open for future memory expansion up to 256 MB. The Cisco 261xXM and Cisco 262xXM will continue to ship with 96MB of DRAM and will only provide the 128MB DIMM when upgraded.
The second feature is a new internal ROMmon. This new ROMmon provides the ability to upgrade the Cisco 2600XM Series to
256-MB DRAM. Currently the maximum memory used by Cisco IOS
® Software is 128 MB. Some future Cisco IOS Software releases will use more than 128 MB of memory and will require this new ROMmon support to provide access to memory between 128 MB and 256 MB. Cisco IOS Software usage of more than 128 MB of SDRAM (in specific software images) is scheduled for October 2004
The use of the new 128-MB SDRAM DIMM in conjunction with the new ROMmon provides continued investment protection into the future as new software images and features are introduced. These new features extend the longevity of the Cisco 2600XM Series by enhancing its capabilities.
There is no change to the default Flash memory on the Cisco 2600XM Series and the maximum Flash capacity remains at 48 MB. In addition, these changes referenced in this product bulletin only apply to the Cisco 2600XM Series and are not supported on the older Cisco 2600 Series multiservice platforms or Cisco 2612 Multiservice Platform.
128-MB SDRAM brings the following benefits:
• Allows SDRAM on the Cisco 2600XM Series to be configured in combinations of 128 MB, 160 MB, 192 MB, and 256 MB using one 128-MB SDRAM DIMM and any combination of 32-MB, 64-MB, or another 128-MB SDRAM
• Ability for customers to maximize memory capacity for future growth, without adding future service costs for adding memory at a later date
• Replaces two 64-MB SDRAM DIMMs requiring 128-MB support in the past and allows the second memory slot to remain open for future memory growth
• Offers more cost-effective price structure than current 64-MB SDRAM, providing greater savings and more flexibility to upgrade existing or new routers to the new maximum configuration of 256 MB
• Can be used in any existing Cisco 2600XM Series router (requires new ROMmon for software images needing more than 128 MB of memory)
The benefits of the new internal ROMmon include:
• Can be field-upgraded on all Cisco 2600XM Series routers
• Provides support for future Cisco IOS Software images requiring more than 128 MB of memory
Existing Cisco 2600XM Series routers in the field can be upgraded with the new 128-MB SDRAM DIMM and new ROMmon. An upgrade kit is available that contains one 128-MB SDRAM DIMM and ROMmon, and can be ordered as a spare. The 128-MB SRAM DIMM can be used on existing or new Cisco 2600XM Series routers without the new ROMmon. The ROMmon is only required for future Cisco IOS Software releases if the router requires more than 128 MB of memory in the future.
All Cisco 2600XM Series routers are currently shipping with the new ROMmon and include the 128-MB SDRAM when the memory default, bundle, or upgrade requires 128 MB of SDRAM. Table 1 shows the ordering information.
Ordering Information for the New 128-MB SDRAM and ROMmon
128-MB DIMM DRAM for the Cisco 2600XM Series
128-MB DRAM and BootROM for Cisco 2600XM Series
Boot ROM for Cisco 2600XM Series supporting 256-MB DRAM
96- to 256-MB DRAM factory upgrade for Cisco 2600XM Series
128- to 256-MB DRAM factory upgrade for Cisco 2600XM Series
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about the Cisco 2600 Series, visit: