Nokia Call Connect for Cisco is a voice-over-IP (VoIP) application that you install onto Nokia Symbian-based smartphones. When you install Nokia Call Connect for Cisco on your Nokia smartphone, it can register to Cisco
® Unified Communications Manager over the wireless LAN (WLAN) or other wireless networks such as third-generation (3G) or 3.5G networks. You can then make and receive calls from your Nokia smartphone through Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
When you have access to voice-enabled 802.11 b/g WLAN coverage, you can take advantage of that wireless IP network for voice calling with Nokia Call Connect for Cisco on your Nokia smartphone (Figure 1). By taking advantage of voice over the WLAN, your business can reduce toll charges associated with cellular voice calls and can also extend call coverage into buildings or home offices that have limited cellular network coverage. Calls that are routed over the WLAN to Cisco Unified Communications Manager are treated in the same manner as all other VoIP calls (Figure 2). As a result, you can use your Nokia smartphone to take advantage of your organization's security policies, call-routing rules, quality of service (QoS), and call anchoring, and use features such as call detail records and single number reach.
Additionally, organizations that provide 3G and 3.5G data plans to employees can allow them to take advantage of VoIP service over the cellular network by running signalling and voice traffic in a VPN tunnel such as Nokia IP Security (IPsec) Multicast VPN (MVPN).
Figure 1. Nokia Call Connect for Cisco: Home Screen and Native Integration
Figure 2. Nokia Call Connect: VoIP Calling
Cisco Unified Communications Integration
Nokia Call Connect for Cisco delivers tight integration with Cisco Unified Communications features such as:
• IP phone services: You can assign applications to Nokia smartphones and access them through XML, similar to the manner in which Cisco Unified IP Phones access XML-based applications.
• Corporate directory access: You can access your organization's directory from the smartphone.
• IP phone shared line: You can configure Nokia Call Connect for Cisco as a shared line to Cisco Unified IP Phones, meaning that you can have the same extension on your Nokia as you do on your desk phone, allowing features such as hold and resume between devices, "shared-line-in-use" visibility, and presence.
• Cisco Unified Presence: You can integrate Nokia Call Connect for Cisco into Cisco presence configurations to deliver your contacts' presence status onto your Nokia smartphone.
• Single Number Reach (SNR): You can configure Nokia Call Connect for Cisco to receive calls made to your office phone number. You can configure Nokia Call Connect for Cisco as a shared line to your desk phone for in-office mobility, and when you are mobile, your incoming office calls can be routed out the public switched telephone network (PSTN) to your mobile number. You can also easily move calls extended to your mobile number to and from your desk phone by using SNR.
• Transparent auto-handoff: Using the native handoff functions built into Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0 and later, Nokia Call Connect for Cisco can automatically and transparently move calls from the WLAN to cellular networks. It can move calls that have been extended to the mobile number of the Nokia device using SNR, handoff, or Dial via Office into the WLAN when you move back into corporate WLAN coverage (Figure 3).
Figure 3. Nokia Call Connect
• Coexistence with Cisco Mobile for Nokia: You can run both Cisco Mobile for Nokia and Nokia Call Connect for Cisco on Nokia smartphones. You can place calls with Nokia Call Connect over a WLAN, and outside the WLAN using the Dial Via Office feature of Cisco Mobile for Nokia. You can also use Nokia Call Connect for Cisco with mobile VPN clients such as Nokia IPsec MVPN over 3G/3.5G cellular data networks.
Table 1 lists the Nokia devices supported with Nokia Call Connect for Cisco 2.2.
Symbian OS version
Nokia Models Tested
S60 3.1 and 3.2
N97, N97mini, and C6-0
N8, C7, C6-1, C7, E7, and E6
* E51, E60, E61, E61i, E70, E71, and E90 do not support auto-handoff.
You can order Nokia Call Connect for Cisco and Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support from Cisco. Table 3 lists the orderable part numbers.
Table 2. Ordering Guide
Top level SKU. Start with this SKU in the ordering tool then configure it to add the following options
Enter the number of mobile users you plan to enable (mix of Android, iPhone and Nokia users)
Nokia User License
Nokia Call Connect User License
Cisco TAC Support
Using the Cisco Lifecycle Services approach, Cisco and our partners offer a broad portfolio of end-to-end services to support the Cisco Unified Communications System. These services are based on proven methodologies for deploying, operating, and optimizing IP communications solutions. Initial planning and design services, for example, can help you meet aggressive deployment schedules and minimize network disruption during implementation. Operate services reduce the risk of communications downtime with expert technical support, and optimize services enhance solution performance for operational excellence. Cisco and our partners offer a system-level service and support approach that can help you create and maintain a resilient, converged network that meets your business needs.