Cisco SDM Configuration Change for Cisco 1800 Series Integrated Services Routers
PDF(77.0 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:May 25, 2007
Effective May 11, 2007, all fixed Cisco
® 1800 Series Integrated Services Routers (Cisco 1801, 1802, 1803, 1811, and 1812) will ship with the following default configuration:
• Image name: IP Broadband, Advanced IP Services, or Advanced Enterprise Services
• Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (SDM) Express Version 2.4 (in flash RAM)
• Cisco SDM Version 2.4 CD
• 32-MB flash RAM
This change is needed to accommodate Cisco SDM and Cisco IOS
® Software image enhancements, enabling new features and capabilities in the Cisco 1800 Series Routers.
For customers needing the full version of Cisco SDM to configure the integrated services router, a CD-based version is provided, or Cisco SDM software can be downloaded on to the PC from Cisco.com, and can be run from a Windows-based PC.
Two scenarios are described in this product bulletin:
1. Upgrading Cisco 1800 Router Software to Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(11)T or later
2. Downloading and installing PC-based Cisco SDM when only Cisco SDM Express is embedded in the flash memory of the router
Scenario 1-Upgrading the Router
Customers who are upgrading to Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(11)T and above and have the full version of Cisco SDM loaded on the flash memory need to complete two procedures:
1. Remove Cisco SDM from the router flash RAM in order to accommodate the new version of Cisco IOS Software prior to the software upgrade.
2. Download and install the new version of Cisco IOS Software.
After procedures 1 and 2 are completed, the full SDM is removed and SDM Express and IOS version 12.4(11)T or higher will reside on the flash.
Procedure 1-Remove Cisco SDM from Flash RAM
In order to remove Cisco SDM from flash memory, complete the following steps in EXEC mode:
Use the following command to verify that the
sdm.tar file is in flash RAM:
The result of this command should include the sdm.tar file if the full version of Cisco SDM is loaded on the flash memory.
If sdm.tar is present in flash RAM, go to step 2.
If the result of this command shows the following files, Cisco SDM Express is in the flash memory, so skip step 2 and go to procedure 2 for the Cisco IOS Software upgrade.
• sdmconfig-<Router series>.cfg
• wlanui.tar (this file is available only if WLAN application is available on the router)
If Cisco SDM (sdm.tar file) is present in the router flash RAM, then use the following command to remove the sdm.tar file:
Delete filename [sdm.tar]?
Delete flash:sdm.tar? [confirm]
Press Return to confirm the deletion.
Procedure 2-Upgrade Cisco IOS Software
In order to upgrade the Cisco IOS Software image, complete the following steps: