The Cisco® ONS 15310 SONET multiservice provisioning platforms are optimized for use at the customer location and at aggregation nodes in a service provider's network or business campus environments. The Cisco ONS 15310 supports a broad range of Layer 1 transport and Layer 2 packet-switching functions, allowing for flexible packet services over Ethernet and SONET.
Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Card Overview
The Cisco ONS 15310 can be equipped with Ethernet cards to facilitate the delivery of carrier-class, private-line Ethernet and Fast Ethernet services. Virtual concatenation (VCAT), Link Capacity Adjustment Scheme (LCAS), standard encapsulation, and SONET sub-50-millisecond (ms) resiliency schemes are used to deliver these point-to-point data services efficiently and in conjunction with the traditional TDM service-delivery requirements.
The Cisco ONS 15310 Carrier Ethernet solution allows service providers and enterprise customers to easily migrate their traditional SONET networks to a converged network architecture where all DS-1, DS-3, Ethernet, and Fast Ethernet services are provisioned and maintained with the same design that carriers have become accustomed to for traditional service delivery.
The Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet Card (Figure 1) is a Layer 1 card providing port-mapped services and interoperability with the Carrier Ethernet services supported on the Cisco ONS 15454 SONET multiservice provisioning platform (MSPP), delivering Ethernet and Fast Ethernet solutions that span access and metropolitan-area networks.
Key Features and Benefits
Physically, the card provides a mapping of up to eight 10/100 Ethernet encapsulated traffic streams into a SONET payload. The SONET payload makes use of low-order virtual concatenation (VT1.5) and high-order (STS-1) contiguous concatenation (CCAT) with a choice of Generic Framing Protocol (GFP) or High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC)-based framing. The card also supports LCAS, which allows hitless dynamic adjustment of SONET link bandwidth. Each 10/100 Ethernet port can be mapped to a SONET channel in increments of VT1.5 or STS-1 granularity. Each card supports packet processing, classification, quality of service (QoS)-based queuing, and traffic-scheduling features.
The Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet Card provides eight Ethernet client interfaces ported to eight packet-over-SONET (POS) or Virtual Concatenation Group (VCG) ports. Each of the Ethernet client interfaces is encapsulated into a SONET payload and exits the Carrier Ethernet card through one of the eight available virtual POS or VCG ports for cross-connection to the Cisco ONS 15310 optical interface. Each of the virtual POS or VCG ports is mapped to a STS-1 or STS-3c SONET circuit or to a VCAT SONET circuit where the members of the VCAT could be either VT1.5 (Low-Order VCAT [LO-VCAT], VT1.5-xv) or STS-1 (High-Order VCAT [HO-VCAT], STS-1-xv [x=1, 2, 3]) SONET circuits selected by the user during service provisioning. Ethernet frames are encapsulated to SONET payload using either the standard ITU-T G.7041 Generic Framing Procedure (GFP) or HDLC encapsulation for interoperability with other compatible Cisco products. The member circuits of the VCG can be transported as protected circuits (unidirectional-path switched ring [UPSR], path-protected mesh network [PPMN], and 1+1) or unprotected circuits, providing the level of resiliency specified by the network administrator or available bandwidth. Optionally the VCG ports may use the ITU-T G.7042 LCAS scheme to manage the dynamic increase or decrease of transport bandwidth for Ethernet traffic with no or minimal service interruption.
Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet Card
The Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet Card includes the following features:
• 8-port 10/100BASE-T, RJ-45 connectors
• 300-Mbps (2xSTS-3) SONET transport bandwidth per card
• Each 10/100BASE-T port mapped to SONET VCG or POS port using GFP-F (ITU-T G.7041) or LAN Extension (LEX which is a Cisco proprietary [HDLC] encapsulation)
• Each VCG or POS port can consist of CCAT (STS-1, STS-3c) or HO-VCAT (STS-1-1v, STS-1-2v, STS-1-3v) circuits
• Each VCG or POS port can consist of LO-VCAT (VT1.5-xv, x=1-64) circuits
• In-service capacity increment and decrement (ITU-T G.7042 LCAS)
• Sub-50-ms SONET protection and restoration of transport circuits
• Transparent to Layer 2 bridging, switching, Ethernet MAC protocols (such as Cisco EtherChannel® technology, 802.1x, Cisco Discovery Protocol, VLAN Trunking Protocol [VTP], Spanning Tree Protocol), and VLAN (802.1Q and QinQ)
• Ethernet link functions: autonegotiation, link-speed autosense, full and half duplex, flow control (802.3x)
• Packet prioritization based on IP type of service (ToS) or 802.1P
• Maximum packet size supported: 1548 bytes
• Low-latency transport
• A-to-Z provisioning Cisco Transport Controller and Cisco Transport Manager, Transaction Language 1 (TL1) provisioning
• Cisco Transport Controller, Cisco Transport Manager, and TL1 management
• Interoperation (over SONET) with Cisco G-Series and Cisco ML-Series cards
• Backpressure flow control
• Terminal and facility loopback
• Link-integrity support
The Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet Card provides the flexibility to meet the demand of a wide variety of network applications and service offerings, including Ethernet Private Line (Figure 2), Metro Ethernet access (Figure 3), Internet access, IP VPN access, and VoIP access, all with the option to provide SONET-layer service protection. The service bandwidth is managed and provided by the appropriate VCAT circuit size for each individual service.
Point-to-Point Ethernet Private Line Service Between Sites
Metro Ethernet Access to Intelligent Core Network Services
Tables 1 and 2 list the SONET circuit combinations and maximum services per card for the Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet Card.
Table 1. Valid SONET Circuit
SONET Circuit Type
Line Rate 100BASE-T
STS-3c STS-1-3v STS-1-2v*
Sub Rate 100BASE-T
STS-1 STS-1-1v VT1.5-xv (x = 1-64)
Line Rate 10BASE-T
STS-1 VT1.5-xv (x = 7)
Sub Rate 10BASE-T
VT1.5-xv (x = 1-6)
*STS-1-2v provides a total transport capacity of 98 Mbps.
Table 2. Maximum Services per Card
Service Mix Options per Card
100BASE-T - Line Rate
100BASE-T - Sub Rate
10BASE-T - Line Rate or Sub Rate
Total Active Services
7 (x = 1-12)1
6 (x = 1-14)
7 (x = 1-12)1
5 (x = 1-16)
8 (x = 1-21)
1. This LO-VCAT circuit combination is achievable if the first circuit created on the card is a LO-VCAT circuit. If the first circuit created on the card is HO-VCAT or CCAT STS, then a maximum of six LO-VCAT circuits can be added on the card.
Tables 3 and 4 list the product specifications and ordering information for the Cisco ONS 15310 CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet Card.
Table 3. Product Specifications
Eight 10/100BASE-T Ethernet ports
Full-, half-, and autonegotiation
Up to 8 virtual POS (VCG) ports supporting LO-VCAT/HO-VCAT
Transport bandwidth per card
Up to 310 Mbps (6 STS-1 equivalent)
Transport bandwidth allocation on virtual POS (VCG) ports
VT1.5-xv (x=1-64), STS-1, STS-1-1v, STS-1-2v, STS-1-3v, and STS-3c
Transport bandwidth adjustment
Optional using the ITU-T G.7042 LCAS mechanism
Ethernet over SONET encapsulation
ITU-T G.7041 GFP-F, Cisco LEX (HDLC) options
Classification and queuing
A-to-Z service provisioning on Cisco Transport Controller, TL1-based service provisioning
32 to 122°F (0 to 50°C)
Noncondensing 5 to 95%
6.94 in. (176.3 mm) wide x 1.35 in. (34.29 mm) tall x 8.81 in. (223.8 mm) deep
2 lb (0.91 kg)
Table 4. Ordering Information
Cisco ONS 15310 (CL and MA) "Platform" CE-Series 8-Port 10/100 Carrier Ethernet card, RJ-45 connectors