Cisco announces Cisco IOS® Software updates for Cisco® Catalyst® 3750 Metro Series Switches and Cisco ME 3400 and ME 3400E Series Ethernet Access Switches. This release advances Cisco's leadership role by providing support for IPv6 and IPv4 support for Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP), IPv6 unicast routing support for VPN routing/forwarding (VRF)-Lite, VRF-Lite aware Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client/server/relay, Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling (L2PT) support for Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP), and IPv6 support for hierarchical quality of service (QoS) support (Cisco Catalyst 3750 Metro Series Switches only).
• Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP): Protects data traffic from a failed router or circuit, like Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), while allowing packet load sharing between a group of redundant routers. Both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols are supported.
• IPv6 unicast routing support for VRF-Lite: VRF-Lite allows a service provider to support two or more VPNs on customer edge equipment, where IPv6 addresses can be overlapped among the VPNs.
• VRF-Lite-aware DHCP client/server/relay: Allows assignment of overlapping addresses (IPv4 and IPv6) in DHCP operations.
• L2PT support for LLDP: Allows customer LLDP packet to be transparently tunneled through service provider network.
• IPv6 support for hierarchical QoS (3750 Metro Series only): Supports classification, marking, shaping, policing queue limiting, bandwidth, and trust functionalities on differentiated services code point (DSCP) and precedence values parsed from the IPv6 packets.
Table 1. New Feature Support
Table 2. Part Numbers for Cisco Metro Ethernet Switches
• Cisco IOS Software upgrade planner:
• Guest-level access planner:
• Cisco Catalyst 3750 Metro Series Switches:
• Cisco ME 3400 Series Switches:
• Cisco ME 3400E Series Switches:
• Cisco Catalyst 3750 Metro Series and Cisco ME 3400E and 3400 Series release notes: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5532/prod_release_notes_list.html
Software Image Migration Guide
Figure 1. Cisco IOS Software 12.2 Release Train