Cisco® announces Cisco IOS® Software Release for the Cisco Catalyst® 3560E-12D 12-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet aggregation switch. This release furthers Cisco leadership by providing integrated services for Layer 2 networks, IP unicast, multicast, quality of service (QoS), integrated security, and manageability for enterprise deployments.
• The switch is capable of Layer 3 unicast and multicast forwarding at 10 Gigabit Ethernet speeds, including IPv4 routing with Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) for IPv4 and IPv6. Multicast protocols include Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Sparse Mode, Dense Mode, and Source Specific Multicast (SSM) support. Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) and Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping are also available for host connectivity to the multicast network. Virtualization of the network is provided with Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) lite support.
• Intelligent QoS will keep everything flowing smoothly, even at 10 times the normal network speed. Industry-leading mechanisms for marking, classification, and scheduling deliver superior performance for data, voice, and video traffic, all at wire speed.
• Comprehensive Layer 2 local area network (LAN) support including 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol, IEEE 802.1s Multiple Spanning Tree (MSTP), IEEE 802.1w Rapid Spanning Tree (RSTP), and Rapid per VLAN Spanning Tree (PVST+). High availability and connectivity with EtherChannel®, FlexLinks, Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTPv2), Unidirectional Link Detection (UDLD), and more.
• The Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Series supports a complete set of security features for connectivity and access control, including access control lists (ACLs), authentication, port-level security, and identity-based network services with 802.1x and extensions. Primary features include Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) snooping, Dynamic Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Inspection, IP source guard, Private VLANs, and Link Layer Control Protocol (LLCP). IEEE 802.1x and other authentication methods such as Web Authentication and MAC Auth Bypass (MAB) for IP phones and PCs are included.
• A set of management and control features are available, including Cisco IOS Software CLI, Generic Online Diagnostics (GOLD), Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) to remotely monitor ports, enhanced traffic management monitoring, and analysis, using the embedded remote Monitoring (RMON), Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), and syslog protocols. Network management tools such as CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution (LMS) and Cisco Network Assistant software, PC-based tools for quick configuration based on preset templates are available. Another ease of use feature is Cisco Smartports macros to generate and reduce time to setup and administer Cisco IOS Software configurations.
• Configuration Replace: The configuration replacement and configuration rollback feature provides the capability to replace the current running configuration with any saved Cisco IOS Software configuration file. This functionality can be used to revert to a previous configuration state, effectively rolling back any configuration changes that were made since that configuration file was saved. This feature simplifies and reduces operational overhead.
• Multicast VRF-Lite: VRF-Lite allows the customer to configure multiple private routing domains for network virtualization and VPNs. Multicast support has now been added to VRF-Lite, allowing multicast traffic per VRF.
• Source Specific Multicast: The SSM capability is an efficient and optimized multicast protocol that is used for one-to-many multicast applications such as video. The protocol is easier to deploy than traditional multicast protocols and utilizes IGMPv3.
• IP Service-level Agreements (IP SLAs) support: Cisco IOS Software IP SLAs help enable customers to assure new business-critical IP applications, as well as IP services that utilize data, voice, and video. With Cisco IOS Software IP SLAs, users can verify service guarantees, increase network reliability by validating network performance, proactively identify network issues, and increase return on investment (ROI) by easing the deployment of new IP services. Cisco IOS Software IP SLAs use active monitoring to generate traffic in a continuous, reliable, and predictable manner, thus facilitating the measurement of network performance and health.
• IP SLAs Enhanced Object Tracking: IP SLAs Enhanced Object Tracking support will allow switches utilizing HSRP to track IP SLA measurements and trigger hot standby failover based upon jitter, packet loss, or latency.
• IGMP Proxy: This capability allows the switch to forward a host's request to join a multicast stream to a specific IP destination address.
• VRF-aware IP services: Various IP services can now obtain information per VRF and are now VRF aware. The following services are now VRF aware: ARP, ping, traceroute, SNMP, syslog, HSRP, IP SLAs, Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP), FTP, and Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding (uRPF).
• Link Layer Discovery Protocol Media Extensions (LLDP-MED) Location Support: LLDP support has been extended to include client location information using the LLDP Media Extensions. The device location information can be used by inventory management for emergency response services, such as Enhanced 911 (E911).
• EIGRP for IPv6: The ability to route IPv6 prefixes is now available using EIGRP. EIGRP IPv6 utilizes IPv6 transport and communicates with IPv6 peers and advertises IPv6 routes.
• Auto-QoS voice-over-IP (VoIP) enhancement: Auto-QoS can now be used transparently when voice over IP is utilized in the network. This is an enhancement to the Auto-QoS functionality and adds support for port-based trust of differentiated services code point (DSCP) and strict priority queuing for egress traffic.
• Cisco Media Access Control (MAC) Notification MIB: The MAC Notification MIB enables the switch to track MAC addresses that are learned or removed. Histories of the MAC addresses that are learned and deleted from the switch are tracked, and notifications can be generated based on threshold limits.
• Dynamic Voice Virtual LAN (VLAN) for multidomain authentication (MDA): This feature is an extension to the MDA capability previously released. MDA now supports dynamic voice VLAN with RADIUS.
Table 1. Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(40)EX New Features for Enterprise Switches
Table 2. Cisco Catalyst Switches Supported and Software Licenses for Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(40)EX
Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Series License Part Numbers
Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Series IP Services Part Numbers
Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Series IP Base Part Numbers
• Cisco IOS Software Upgrade Planner: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi?majorRel=.
• Guest Level Access Planner: http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/index.shtml.
• Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Series Switches: http://www.cisco.com/go/3560-E
Software Image Migration Guide
Figure 1. Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2 Release Train