The Cisco® I-Flex approach combines shared port adapters (SPAs) and SPA interface processors (SIPs), providing an extensible design that enables service prioritization for data, voice, and video services. Enterprise and service provider customers can take advantage of improved slot economics resulting from modular port adapters that are interchangeable across Cisco routing platforms. The I-Flex design maximizes connectivity options and offers superior service intelligence through programmable interface processors that deliver line-rate performance. I-Flex enhances speed-to-service revenue and provides a rich set of quality of service (QoS) features for premium service delivery while effectively reducing the overall cost of ownership. This data sheet contains the specifications for the Cisco 2-Port and 4-Port OC-3c/STM-1c POS SPAs (Cisco 2- and 4-Port OC-3 POS SPAs; refer to Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco 2- and 4-Port OC-3 POS SPAs
The Cisco 2- and 4-Port OC-3 POS SPAs are available on high-end Cisco routing platforms, offering the benefits of network scalability with lower initial costs and easy upgrades. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio continues Cisco's focus on investment protection along with consistent feature support, broad interface availability, and the latest technology. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio allows deployment of different interfaces (packet over SONET/SDH [POS], ATM, Ethernet, etc.) on the same interface processor.
The Cisco 2- and 4-Port OC-3 POS SPAs are available with two or four Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) interfaces. SFP modules are available in multiple optical reaches from 2 to 80 kilometers (km).
Key Features and Benefits
The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio offers many advantages, including:
– Superior flexibility, providing a combination of interface types on the same interface processor for consistent services, independent of access technology.
– Pioneering programmable interface processors that provide flexibility for the service diversity required in next-generation networks.
– Innovative design that supports intelligent service delivery without compromising on performance.
• Increased speed to service revenue
– The scalable, programmable Cisco architecture extended to 10 Gbps dramatically improves customer density, increasing potential revenue per platform.
– Interface breadth (copper, channelized, POS, ATM, and Ethernet) on a modular interface processor allows service providers to roll out new services more quickly, helping ensure that all customers large and small receive consistent, secure, and guaranteed services.
– High-density SFP interfaces are featured for high-port-count applications with reach flexibility. Future optical technology improvements can be adopted using existing SPAs.
• Dramatically improved return on your routing investment
– Improved slot economics and increased density reduce capital expenditures (CapEx).
– The ability to easily add new interfaces as they are needed enables a "pay-as-you-grow" business model.
– SPAs are shared across multiple platforms, and can be easily moved from one to another, providing consistent feature support, accelerated product delivery, and a significant reduction in operating expenses (OpEx) through common sparing as service needs change.
Table 1 gives specifications of the Cisco 2- and 4-Port OC-3 POS SPAs.
Table 1. Product Specifications
Cisco 7304 Router
Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches
Cisco 7600 Series Routers
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router
Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3 (4-port OC-3 POS SPA)
Port Density per SPA
OC-3c/STM-1c SFP optics module (refer to optical parameters in Table 2)
Visual status indicators (LEDs):
• SPA status LED
• Per-port LEDs
• Carrier and alarm
• Active and loopback
High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC), RFC 2615
Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), RFC 1662
Frame Relay, RFC 2427
Features and Functions
• Local (internal) or loop timed (recovered from network)
• Pointer activity monitoring
Local (diagnostic) and line (network) loopback
Section data communications channel (SDCC) - platform-dependent feature
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, refer to
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio, visit
http://www.cisco.com/go/spa or contact your local Cisco account representative.