To continue to meet the increasing needs for performance while maintaining exceptional value and flexibility,
the Cisco® 7200 Series introduces its newest processor-the NPE-G1 (Figure 1). The Cisco 7200 Series Network Processing Engine NPE-G1 (NPE-G1) addresses the demand for performance and flexibility by doubling its processing capacity and enabling unprecedented LAN performance. Benefits of the NPE-G1 include the following (see Table 1 for details):
• Provides performance of up to 1 million packets per second (PPS) in Cisco Express Forwarding switching (an increase of up to 250 percent over the Cisco 7200 Series NPE-400)
• Offers three Gigabit Ethernet/Fast Ethernet ports that do not take up bandwidth points
• Doubles the amount of available DRAM (to 1 GB)
• Eliminates the requirement for an input/output (I/O) controller
• Eliminates I/O controller LAN interface bandwidth points
• Provides modular processors and the ability to upgrade
• Offers improved price performance
Figure 1. Cisco 7200 Series NPE-G1
Table 1. Features and Benefits Overview
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: COMPONENTS
Figure 2. Cisco 7200 Series NPE-G1 Ports
• Gigabit Ethernet port features: all three ports support the IEEE 802.1Q standard.
• NPE-G1 supports three types of GBICS: SX, LX/LH, and ZX for varying fiber length requirements.
• Console and auxiliary ports: Because the NPE-G1 has a console port and an auxiliary port, and handles the other functionality of the I/O controller, the need for an I/O controller is eliminated. However, an I/O controller can still be used. If an I/O controller is detected in the I/O controller slot, I/O controller functionality defaults to the I/O controller (with the exception of Non-volatile Random Access Memory [NVRAM] and boot flash). The console and auxiliary ports of the NPE-G1 are then disabled.
• SDRAM: 256 MB (default), 512 MB, and 1 GB. There are two DRAM memory slots, so 256 MB of memory consists of two 128 MB memory SODIMMs, 512 MB consists of two 256 MB memory SODIMMs, and 1 GB consists of two 512 MB memory SODIMMs. It is necessary to have the same size SODIMM in each memory bank on an NPE-G1. The type of DRAM memory being used on the NPE-G1 is double data-rate (DDR) memory. DDR memory provides high-performance memory access rates.
• Compact flash: 64 MB (default), 128 MB, and 256 MB. The compact flash used on the NPE-G1 is the same compact flash used with the Cisco 7400 and 7300 series Internet routers.
• 512 KB NVRAM or 512 KB.
• 512 KB Layer 2 cache.
• 16 MB packet memory on 256 MB SDRAM and 32 MB packet memory on 512 MB and 1 GB SDRAM.
• ECC support (SDRAM and Layer 2 cache).
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
• Storage temperature: -38 to 150°F (-40 to 70°C)
• Operating temperature, nominal: 41° to 104°F (5 to 40°C)
• Operating temperature, short term: 23 to 131°F (-5 to 55°C)
• Storage relative humidity: 5 to 95% relative humidity (RH)
• Operating humidity, nominal: 5 to 85% RH
• Operating humidity, short term: 5 to 90% RH
• Operating altitude: -60 to 4000 m
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS
• Height: 1.40 in. (3.556 cm)
• Width: 15.15 in. (38.481 cm)
• Depth: 11.12 in. (28.245 cm)
• Weight: 3.25 lb (1.49 kg)
PRODUCT REGULATORY APPROVALS AND COMPLIANCE
Product Regulatory Approvals
• Safety and Electromagnetic Emissions
• Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for the United States
• Underwriters Laboratories, Canada (cUL) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
• European Norm (EN)
• International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
• Australia/New Zealand Standard (AS/NZS)
Product Regulatory Compliance
• FCC Part 15 Class A device for electromagnetic interference limits
• FCC Part 68 for connection to the public telephone network
• Electrostatic Discharge EN61000-4
PRODUCT SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
• Chassis: The NPE-G1 is supported on the Cisco 7204VXR and Cisco 7206VXR chassis.
• I/O controllers: Although a Cisco 7200VXR chassis with an NPE-G1 does not require the use of an I/O controller, an I/O controller can still be used. The NPE-G1 is supported with the following Cisco 7200 Series I/O controller part numbers: C7200-I/O, C7200-I/O-2FE/E, C7200-I/O-GE+E.
• Port adapters: The NPE-G1 is supported with all port adapters that can be ordered with the Cisco 7200VXR chassis as of August 1, 2002 except for the following:
PRODUCT ORDERING DETAILS
Table 2. Product Ordering Details: Product Part Number
PRODUCT ORDERING DETAILS: MIGRATION PROGRAM
SERVICE AND SUPPORT