In order to quickly and cost-effectively deploy aggregation requirements, service providers need a high-density solution that offers attractive per port pricing in a system that has the flexibility to accommodate other access solutions.
® PA-MC-8TE1+ port adapter offers many advantages, including:
• 248 independent High-Level Data Link Controls (HDLC) channels
• Eight software-configurable T1 or E1 ports
• High-density, cost-effective deployment
Today's global enterprise and service-provider networks require diverse networking solutions to meet both economic and evolving connectivity needs. As corporate intranets expand to include more regional offices and increased numbers of remote and mobile users,
yet maintain network requirements for scalable solutions and improved price/performance, the demand for high-density, cost-effective solutions increases.
Table 1. Features at a Glance
Single-wide port adapter with 8 T1 or E1 PRI RJ48c ports fully supporting 30 B-channels or in channelized mode, up to 31 channels per port
Cisco 7200 Series Router with NPE-225, NPE-400, NPE-G1, NPE-G2, Cisco 7301, Cisco 7304, Cisco 7500 Routers and Cisco 7600 Routers
• Integrated channel/data service unit (CSU/DSU)
• Load sharing across B-channels using Multilink Point-to-point Protocol (MLPPP)
• ISDN, HDLC, X.25, Frame Relay, Link Access Procedure, Balanced (LAPB), Switched Multimegabit Data Service Data Exchange Interface (SMDS DXI), and PPP encapsulation across different channels
• On-line insertion/removal (OIR) support on Cisco 7200, and 7304
• DS0 Loopback support available in 12.2(4)B and 12.2(8)T
Minimum Cisco IOS® Release Supported
• Cisco 7200/7301-12.2(12), 12.2(12)T, 12.1(14), 12.1(12)E, 12.0(22)S, 12.2(14)S, and later IOS versions
• Cisco 7600-FlexWAN 12.1(13)E9 and 12.2(14)SX; Enhanced FlexWAN 12.2(14)SX IOS version
The PA-MC-8TE1+ is a single-wide port adapter with interfaces that can be channelized, fractional, ISDN-PRI, or unframed (E1) with up to 248 independent HDLC channels definable for T1 and E1 applications. The PA-MC-8TE1 is also designed to provide a full eight-port PRI multichannel solution for the Cisco 7200, Cisco 7301, and Cisco 7500.
For network administrators who require the higher performance provided by a PRI ISDN connection, the new Cisco 8TE1+ provides one
of the greatest densities currently offered in the industry at 8 PRI ports per card, up to 48 ports per Cisco 7200 system, up to 672 ports per 7-foot rack, or up to 432 ports per rack using the Cisco 7200 Rack Density System (RDS) for front-to-back airflow. The Cisco 7513 and 7613 can support 192 ports per system.
The RJ-48c ports are software-configurable to support T1 or E1 (120 Ohm) interfaces. In T1 mode, each port can support up to 23
B-channels, for an aggregate data rate of 1.536 Mbps per port. When configured to operate in channelized mode, all 24 channels are an aggregate data rate of 1.984 Mbps per port. When configured to operate in channelized mode, up to 31 channels are available per port.
The Cisco PA-MC-8TE1+ port adapter is ideal for service providers and large enterprises looking to cost-effectively deploy high-density ISDN terminations of multiple remote-sites. The port adapter enables applications that require remote and branch office locations to be terminated on a single router in a corporate enterprise network. The card supports eight physical RJ-48c ports on a single-wide port adapter and allows concurrent operation of all ports. Combining the Cisco 8TE1+ with the Cisco 7200, 7301, 7304, 7500, and 7600 also ensures investment protection for deploying other network access technologies, such as digital subscriber line (xDSL).