Cisco® is pleased to announce the Cisco AON 2.4 software release for its Application-Oriented Networking (AON) technology. Cisco AON is an intelligent message-routing system that comprises a new category of network-embedded products and solutions that mark the convergence of intelligent networks with applications based on highly distributed, service-oriented, and traditional architectures.
Cisco AON Product Portfolio
Cisco AON 2.4 marks another significant milestone in the product roadmap, introducing several key new features while continuing to offer higher performance and deliver enhanced usability and manageability.
• Improved management infrastructure: Cisco AON Release 2.4 introduces additional security enhancements such as role-based access controls, lifecyle management across different deployment tiers, and a scriptable interface (PMI, or Programmatic Management Interface) for automating routine tasks.
• Application Quality of Service (AppQoS): Cisco AON offers an industry-first AppQoS feature that helps users set application message- and transaction-level priorities and align them with network-level QoS capabilities.
• Out-of-band message processing through promiscuous mode: Cisco AON provides the capability to receive and process messages without introducing latency in the flow of inline network traffic, helping enable out-of-band monitoring and analysis. This release includes User Datagram Protocol (UDP) support as well as time-interval sampling support.
• Additional adapter support: Cisco AON continues to add new adapters to its existing list of application transport protocols. With this release Cisco AON adds support for BEA WebLogic JMS, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), UDP, and Radius adapters.
Cisco AON Form Factors
Cisco AON Release 2.4 is available on the following three Cisco form factors-two that integrate into existing Cisco switches and routers and a standalone appliance form factor:
• Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series AON service module, primarily deployed in the enterprise core or in data centers
• Cisco Integrated Services Router (ISR) 26xx through 38xx series AON module, primarily deployed at branch offices
• Cisco 8340 Series AON Appliance for data center and network-gateway applications
Table 1 outlines Cisco AON hardware and software compatibility.
Table 1. Cisco AON Hardware and Software Compatibility