Cisco 7300 2 and 4-Port OC-3c/STM-1 Packet over SONET/SDH
PDF(56.1 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Jan 22, 2003
Line-Rate, High-Density OC-3c/STM-1 Connectivity Edge Routing with High-Touch IP Service Delivery
® 7304 Router is designed for the network edge where high-performance IP services are required to enable profitability, service differentiation, and business agility. Using a compact, 4-rack-unit (4-RU), modular (4-slot) form factor, the Cisco 7304 Router delivers high-touch IP services at optical speeds necessary for applications in the high-end enterprise, service provider edge, and for service provider-managed customer premises equipment (CPE).
High-performance services are critical in these implementations, and the Cisco 7304 Router delivers an evolving set of hardware-accelerated IP services through the Parallel Express Forwarding (PXF) IP Services Processor technology patented by Cisco Systems
®. The Cisco 7304 Router provides a range of optical connectivity from OC-3/STM-1 to Gigabit Ethernet, OC-48 performance, an architecture engineered for high availability, and multiprotocol support. With two Gigabit Ethernet ports built into the system, the Cisco 7304 Router is the optical evolution of Cisco 7x00 Series routers
The Cisco 7304 OC-3c/STM-1 Packet over SONET /SDH Line Card (Figure 1), in two or four ports, is a modular, versatile card suited for a variety of solutions: from WAN uplinks in a CPE deployment to aggregation at the edge where service provider and enterprise networks meet. Using the Cisco Network Services Engine (NSE)-100 Route Processor on the Cisco 7304 Router, this line card can use multiprotocol capability from Cisco IOS
® Software, and PXF technology to deliver hardware-accelerated IP network services.
4-Port OC-3c/STM-1 Packet over SONET/SDH Line Card for the Cisco 7304 Router
Key Features and Benefits
Line Card Features
• SONET/SDH Framing
• 1+1 SONET automatic protection switching (APS) and SDH multiplex section protection (MSP), per port, per line card, and per chassis
• SONET/SDH errors, alarms, performance monitoring, synchronization, etc.
• Online Insertion and Removal (OIR)
Cisco 7304 Router System Features
• Compact (4RU), modular, Network Equipment Building Standards (NEBS)-3 compliant system
• Redundant route processor capable
• Front-to-back airflow
• Centralized PXF for hardware-accelerated features (Cisco Express Forwarding, Turbo access control list [ACL], Netflow v8, etc.)
• Multiprotocol and feature support using Cisco IOS® Software
• RFC 1661, Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
• RFC 1662, PPP in High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC)-like Framing
• RFC 2615, PPP over SONET/SDH with 1+x43 Self-Synchronous Payload Scrambling
Table 1 lists the chassis and rack density for the Cisco 7304 OC-3c/STM-1 Packet over SONET /SDH Line Card.
Table 1. Chassis and Rack Density1
OC-3c/STM-1 POS Line Card
Cisco 7304 Chassis Density
Cisco 7304 Rack Density
8 OC-3/STM-1 and 2 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) ports
88 OC-3/STM-1 and 22 GE ports
16 OC-3/STM-1 and 2 GE ports
176 OC-3/STM-1 and 22 GE ports
1. Configured with:
One NSE-100 per Cisco 7304 Router chassis
Four 4-port OC-3 POS line cards per Cisco 7304 Router chassis or 2-port OC-3 POS line cards
11 Cisco 7304 Router chassis per 7 foot rack
• Support for 1+1 SONET APS as per GR-253-CORE-per port, per line card, per chassis (as applicable)
• Support for 1+1 SDH MSP as per G.783 Annex A-per port, per line card, per chassis (as applicable)
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco 7304 routers, visit
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps352/index.html or contact your local Cisco account representative.