PDF(184.8 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Aug 17, 2011
Cisco® Unified Communications Solutions unify voice, video, desktop, and mobile applications on wired and mobile networks, enabling easy collaboration every time from any workspace.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 (formerly Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition) is an easy-to-manage solution that integrates the benefits of media processing (for voice and video calling and mobility) and unified messaging on a single appliance server. Consolidating these applications on a single server creates a cost-effective solution that is simple to set up, manage, and use, thereby lowering total cost of ownership (TCO) and providing a smooth migration from older, outdated telephony systems to unified communications.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 is designed to deliver enterprise-level unified communications and collaboration performance to your employees to help you serve your customers and achieve your long-term business goals. Designed for medium-sized organizations with smaller IT staffs, the solution provides investment protection with the capacity to grow to up to 500 employees and 20 total sites (19 remote sites).
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 Version 8.5 incorporates many capabilities specifically designed to meet the needs of medium-sized businesses for improved collaboration across the value chain.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 Version 8.5 consists of the following foundational elements:
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 8.5
Based on the Cisco Unified Communications appliance platform model, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 supports the world-class Cisco Unified Communications Manager media processing (voice and video calling and mobility) engine and Cisco Unity Connection unified messaging application. The applications are preloaded on the highly reliable one-rack unit (1RU) Cisco media convergence server platform. The software preloaded on the server consists of a single firmware image that includes the underlying server operating system as well as the media processing and unified messaging applications. By using a common set of system management and serviceability tools across the operating system and the applications, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 platform provides a consistent interface to streamline the ongoing management and operation of the system.
The Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5 software is the media processing engine of Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition. Cisco Unified Communications Manager extends telephony features and capabilities to packet telephony network devices such as IP phones, media processing devices, voice-over-IP (VoIP) gateways, and multimedia applications. Additional services such as multimedia conferencing, collaborative contact centers, and interactive multimedia response systems are made possible through Cisco Unified Communications Manager open telephony application programming interfaces (APIs).
Cisco Unified Communications Manager has a suite of integrated voice tools and utilities, including an impromptu conferencing application, the Cisco Bulk Administration Tool, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Call Detail Records (CDR) Analysis and Reporting Tool, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Real-Time Monitoring Tool, and the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Assistant application.
In addition to the standard call-processing features, Cisco Unified Communications Manager software includes features that improve the productivity of mobile employees when they are out of the office. Called Cisco Unified Mobility, this feature set provides a single business voice mailbox and a single-number-reach application that intelligently manages, filters, routes, and connects calls between a worker's IP desk phone and mobile cellular or home phone.
Cisco Unity Connection 8.5 is the unified messaging application in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000. It transparently integrates messaging and voice-recognition functions with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 to provide continuous global access to calls and messages. Cisco Unity Connection advanced convergence-based communication services allow you to use natural-language voice commands to place calls or listen to messages in hands-free mode and to check voice messages from your desktop, either through integration with your email inbox or by using a web browser. Cisco Unity Connection also provides robust Automated-Attendant functions, including intelligent routing for incoming calls and easily customizable call-screening and message-notification options.
Features and Benefits
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 inherits all the core features and functions of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Cisco Unity Connection applications. Some of these core capabilities are highlighted here. For more detail, please refer to:
Medium-sized businesses can save money, reduce power consumption, and use less space by reducing the number of communications servers required. Deploying fewer servers saves money on electricity and cooling and saves rack space in the equipment room, wiring closet, or data center. In addition to saving money, using less equipment and power also supports a company's green initiatives and goals for protecting the environment.
In addition to standard telephony features such as call coverage, call transfer, call waiting, hold, conference, park, and pickup, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 delivers a powerful set of telephony features for medium-sized businesses: for instance, intercom with whisper page, do not disturb, hold reversion, immediate divert to voicemail, and hunt groups. It also offers:
• Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) support: SIP support is available in Cisco Unified Communications Manager with support of line-side devices, including IETF RFC 3261-compliant devices available from Cisco and other manufacturers.
• Call Admission Control (CAC): CAC helps ensure that voice quality of service (QoS) is maintained across constricted WAN links, and it automatically diverts calls to alternate public-switched-telephone-network (PSTN) routes when WAN bandwidth is not available. A web interface to the configuration database allows remote device and system configuration. HTML-based online help is available for users and administrators. Now medium-sized businesses can save significant costs by using their IP WAN connections for their site-to-site calling instead of using more expensive PSTN trunks.
• Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony (SRST): Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 supports up to 20 Cisco Unified SRST sites using a centralized call-processing model. It also can support a multisite distributed call-processing deployment model that allows for connection of an autonomous Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 system to other autonomous Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 sites or autonomous Cisco Unified Communications Manager clusters. Connection is through intercluster or SIP trunks or to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express sites with H.323 or SIP trunks, in a manner that is consistent with the maximum number of voice gateways and trunks supported in a Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 System.
• Powerful Cisco Unified Mobility capabilities: Cisco Unified Mobility provides powerful capabilities previously available only to larger organizations. Cisco Unified Mobility provides the capability to have up to four devices ring when a call comes into a user's IP phone. Whether you are working from home or in a hotel room while traveling for business, your calls can now follow you anywhere. Cisco Unified Communications Manager also supports dual-mode devices, benefiting customers who have mobile employees who need to move between campus wireless and external cellular network environments. These devices can manually hand calls from a cellular Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) network to an IEEE 802.11-based wireless LAN. Wireless phone support is also included for Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G and 7925G models.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 includes a powerful voice-messaging system, Cisco Unity Connection, which provides many advanced capabilities that can be customized to increase individual and team productivity. Employees can personalize communications options and interact with the system to manage calls and messages in the way that is most comfortable and convenient for them.
The flexible user interface makes messaging more efficient for both intensive and occasional voicemail users. For example, the telephone user interface (TUI) and touchtone mappings for each user can be customized to make migration from traditional voicemail systems much easier.
Speech-Enabled Messaging and Automated Attendant
To maximize the productivity of mobile workers, Cisco Unity Connection offers a natural and robust speech-activated user interface that allows you to browse and manage your voice messages using simple, natural speech commands. In addition, the Speech Connect for Cisco Unity Connection feature is a built-in speech-enabled Automated Attendant that enables you to call other Cisco Unity Connection users or personal contacts by simply using your voice.
You can manage your voice messages from a variety of devices and locations, whichever best suits the way you work.
• Cisco Unified Personal Communicator voicemail integration.
– You can access your voice messages directly from the Cisco Unified Personal Communicator client.
– You can use the integrated media player to play and delete messages.
– You can easily access presence and availability information about the person you are calling in the Cisco Unified Personal Communicator client; then you can click to call the person back and escalate to web chat, video, or other multimedia session.
• Cisco Unity Connection Inbox web browser interface to voice messages.
– You can view, sort, play, compose, forward, and reply to voice messages.
– You can use the digital video recorder (DVR)-style interface to play, rewind, pause, or fast forward messages.
– You can easily address messages to multiple recipients and distribution lists.
– Voice messages in the Cisco Unity Connection Inbox are synchronized with the message-waiting indicator (MWI) on your telephone.
– Web browser-based tools are supported on Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.
• Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)-based email client to access voice messages.
– You can access email and voicemail messages and play and delete voice messages from within the same desktop email client using the built-in ViewMail for Outlook or ViewMail for Notes player.
– Voice messages in your email inbox are synchronized with the MWI on your telephone.
– Various standards-based desktop email clients are supported, including Microsoft Outlook, Lotus Notes, and Entourage for Mac.
– You can compose, reply to, and forward messages by using IMAP clients.
• Visual voicemail on your Cisco Unified IP Phone.
– You can view, sort, play, compose, forward, and reply to voice messages from the screen on your IP phone without having to dial in to the system.
Personal Web Administration
Cisco Unity Connection allows you to customize your personal settings from a web browser using the Cisco Unity Connection Assistant, a dynamic interface in the browser-based Cisco Personal Communications Assistant (PCA). You can quickly and easily establish or change personal settings such as your voicemail options, security codes, personal distribution lists, and message-delivery options. You can also use the web administration interface to define and manage personal call-transfer rules to customize the delivery of incoming calls based on caller, time of day, or calendar status.
Simplified Installation, Configuration, and Maintenance
Running on the Cisco Linux-based appliance platform, Cisco Unity Connection uses a common set of management and serviceability tools designed to provide a consistent experience and to streamline the ongoing management and operation of a Cisco Unified Communications System.
Table 1 lists the system capacities supported by Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000. For detailed design guidance, please refer to the Solutions Reference Network Design (SRND) guides located at
Table 1. System Capacity
Maximum number of users
Maximum number of mailboxes and voicemail ports
500 mailboxes and 24 voicemail ports
Number of remote sites
20 (centralized call processing, with Cisco Unified SRST)
User and Administrator Features
For a summary of user and administrator features, please refer to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5 and Cisco Unity Connection 8.5 data sheets:
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 Version 8.5 adds following core capabilities to the product:
• Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5 adds the ability to directly connect Cisco Unified Mobile Clients (such as Android, iPhone, RIM, and Nokia Clients) without the need for a proxy server such as Cisco Unified Mobile Advantage, and it now delivers the following features natively:
– Voice over wireless LAN (WLAN)
– Manual hand-off from VoIP to cellular network
– Mid-call support: Hold, resume, transfer, and conference
– Corporate voicemail with MWI
– Call history
– Directory search
• Version 8.5 of Cisco Unity Connection delivers single-inbox unified messaging with Microsoft Exchange. Voice messages are delivered to the same folder as email messages in Outlook, delivering true unified messaging and overcoming concerns from some customers about the separate folder experience with integrated messaging.
• Cisco Unity Connection 8.5 also delivers a new Web 2.0 inbox for managing messages from a web browser, greater security features, and easier management.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 supports the following core languages for user locales, the voicemail TUI, and administration of the GUI:
• Arabic (no Text-to-Speech [TTS] support)
• Chinese (Mandarin TUI with simplified and traditional Chinese GUI; simplified Mandarin TTS; no traditional Mandarin TTS)
• English (U.S., U.K., and Australian, but no Australian TTS support)
• French (European and Canadian)
• Portuguese (Brazilian)
• Spanish (European and Latin American)
In addition to these languages, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager media processing application supports the following user localizations: Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Bulgarian, Slovak, Slovenian, Romanian, Serbian, and Hebrew.
The following network localizations (tones and cadences) are supported: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea Republic, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe.
• Application and phone software licenses are enforced. Two different types of licenses are available with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000. Cisco User Connect Licensing allows you to license most Cisco Unified Communications 8.0 products* and future releases, including Cisco Unified Communications Essential Operate Service, on a per-user basis. With User Connect Licensing, all right-to-use (RTU) fees, device-license-unit (DLU) fees, port licenses, etc. are now converted to a single Cisco User Connect License. As a result, customers have more flexibility to cost-effectively license unified communications products. In addition, Cisco User Connect Licensing can be mixed with Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing, making it easier to do business with Cisco.
• Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing Business Edition offers an easy and affordable way for customers to procure and deploy a broad range of Cisco Unified Communications applications and services using a single per-user license. Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing Business Edition includes all the client, server software licenses, service, and software subscriptions that facilitate consistent deployment of multiple applications to all users in their workspaces.
You can now order Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 in two ways: a la carte using Cisco User Connect Licensing or as part of a workspace bundle using Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing.
Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing
The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition Workspace Bundle packages the traditional base platform along with 50 Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing Business Edition licenses, including the Cisco MCS 7828 Unified Communications Manager Business Edition Appliance hardware; Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 software; Cisco Unified Presence software; your choice of Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco UC Integration
™ for Microsoft Office Communicator, or Cisco Unified IP Communicator with Cisco Unified Video Advantage software; and all the client-server software, Cisco Unity Connection Advanced User Licenses, and Cisco Unified IP Phone licenses for these first 50 users to facilitate consistent deployment of multiple applications to their workspaces. Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing Business Edition includes licenses for presence, mobility, basic and advanced voice messaging, phones, and media processing.
To order, select the top-level part number (CMBE-WRKSP-BDL) and then select from the options in Table 2.
Complementary licenses for required Cisco Unified Communications Essential Operate Service (ECD) provide maintenance and minor updates. Cisco Unified Communications Software Subscription (UCSS) is also available.
Cisco User Connect Licensing
You can order Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 a la carte using a single top-level part number. The top-level part number allows you to configure the entire system, including hardware, software, and user licenses.
The Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 starter packages bundle the Cisco MCS 7828 Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 Appliance with a preloaded software suite and Cisco User Connect Licenses for the first 50 users - Basic or Essential User Connect Licenses. The user licenses included in the base package cover the server licenses, voice mailboxes, and ports needed for the initial system.
In addition to the initial 50 users included in the Cisco User Connect License bundle, you can add more users by choosing appropriate options under the top-level part number.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition is available only on Cisco MCS 7828 Media Convergence Servers.
Table 3 lists the part numbers for ordering Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000.
Table 3. Ordering Information: Traditional Method
Top-Level Part Number
Unified Communications Manager Bus Ed - Top Level
To place an order, contact your local Cisco representative; visit the
Cisco Partner Locator tool on the Cisco website
Partner Locator - Cisco Systems and search on Advanced Unified Communications or on Cisco Authorized Business Edition Reseller to find a certified unified communications partner in your local area.
Cisco Unified Communications Services
Cisco Unified Communications Services allows you to accelerate cost savings and productivity gains associated with deploying a secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications Solution on your network. Delivered by Cisco and our certified partners, our portfolio of deployment and technical support services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks. Our unique lifecycle approach to these services can enhance your technology experience to enable powerful new ways to collaborate with co-workers, partners, and customers across any workspace to accelerate business advantage.
For more information about Cisco's complete solution offering for small and medium-sized businesses, please visit:
Cisco channel partners and resellers looking for ordering information should refer to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000 ordering guide available with log-in to the Cisco partner site at: