Breadth of coverage. Rapid deployment. Ease of use. High resilience. Exceptional scalability and performance. These are just some of the reasons leading organizations worldwide are using IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime™ software to manage their OSS/BSS environments. The software suite is available on a variety of platforms, including Microsoft Windows Vista, Sun Solaris, and Linux on the Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS®). It scales from the smallest to the largest, most-complex environments, across business applications, virtualized servers, network devices and protocols, and security and storage devices.
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software is based on the marketing-leading Tivoli Netcool technology from IBM. The suite of products delivers real-time, centralized event management for complex next-generation network and IT environments. With scalability that exceeds millions of events per day, it offers 24-hour management and high automation to help you deliver continuous uptime for business, IT, and network services.
Leading enterprises and public sector organizations rely on IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software to consolidate the management of multiple management domains and tools under a “single pane of glass” view. The software helps make it easier for enterprises to manage problems across heterogeneous networks and IT domains and thereby reduce costs and improve overall staff productivity.
Leading service provider and military operations departments use IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software to manage their complex, next-generation networks and applications in real time, helping optimize the availability of fixed and wireless services. The software helps accelerate time to market for new services, maximize service quality, and improve operator efficiency.
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software provides industry-leading event management with customizable, web-based dashboards (Figure 1). They help service providers and enterprises to facilitate end-to-end visualization, navigation, and reporting across Cisco and third-party networks for real-time consolidated operations management in a single display.
Figure 1. IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime Dashboard Screens
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software provides:
● Consolidated real-time views across a wide range of multivendor domains including IP networks, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) VPNs, optical networks, mobile wireless, and data centers
● Multilayer event correlation, enrichment, and root-cause analysis (RCA) through a suite of tightly integrated product options designed to minimize operational expenses
● Automated event de-duplication, isolation, and resolution, increasing productivity and optimizing service availability
● Fast-tracked views of high-priority events to give specific individual operators or groups insights that minimize problem resolution time
● Integration of both Cisco and third-party element management systems and devices, including Cisco® Multicast Manager, Cisco ROSA Video Services Management Suite for cable environments, Cisco Transport Manager, Cisco Active Network Abstraction (ANA), and more than 400 Cisco device MIBs.
● Support for current and evolving standards, including ITIL, eTOM, IPv4 and IPv6, and use of Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) 140-2 approved cryptographic providers
● Capture, analysis, and presentation of data generated over time into meaningful historical reports
Features and Benefits
● Manager of managers: This feature allows data from multiple tools and vendors to be consolidated in a single system with a single GUI, improving the effectiveness of the network operations environment.
● Real-time management views: Operations staff and executives get anytime, anywhere access to device and network status and actionable information through the IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime GUI. Highly customizable dashboards offer a wide range of images, maps, charts, tables, and event lists to help provide immediate visibility of network status.
● Root-cause analysis: Network faults are visualized with real-time analysis of the root cause, reducing the time needed to troubleshoot network problems. Consequential fault events are automatically correlated to the root-cause fault event in real time.
● Advanced correlation: Automatic real-time enrichment of events with data from external data sources, such as provisioning or inventory systems, helps operators determine the service impact of a network fault.
● Faster deployment: More than 100 built-in integrations with other management applications and network technologies allow IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software to be quickly integrated within a customer’s existing environment.
Use Highly Scalable Event Processing to Manage Complex, Dispersed Environments
Many customers use IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software to manage tens of millions of events daily. Furthermore, the software can be deployed in a distributed, parallel, or hierarchical fashion to support complex operations environments that span diverse geographic boundaries. Because it couples scalability with a flexible architecture, the software can deliver robust event management to support environments of any size, far beyond those available from other vendor management tools.
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software bridges the management gap across traditional IT domains as well as older and next-generation networks, to help organizations improve the end-to-end availability and resiliency of critical business services. As the software detects developing problems from across the service infrastructure in real time, these events are processed in the ObjectServer, a high-speed, in-memory database.
Through a combination of de-duplication, filtering, and correlation, including state- and device-based correlation rules and advanced problem escalation and automations, IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software can help dramatically reduce events to a manageable volume. For many organizations, the number of events is reduced from tens of thousands down to one.
Monitor Complex Service Infrastructures
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software probes actively collect business and technology events from thousands of sources in real time. These lightweight agents and applications listen for events and traps and monitor applications, systems, and network and security devices across the business. You can also develop and customize Netcool probes to support virtually any kind of event from virtually any data source, such as those generated by proprietary business applications, smart devices, and many more.
IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software can monitor thousands of environments, offering built-in intelligence. You can also configure thresholds based on your organization’s unique requirements to generate alarms based on criteria you define.
Examples of supported environments include, but are not limited to, infrastructure services and protocols, such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP); IP routers and switches; Ethernet switches; Layer 2 and Layer 3 MPLS; optical networks; cable networks; wireless and wireline network switches, such as Class 5 voice switches and private automatic branch exchange (PABX) voice switches; Signaling System 7 (SS7 or C7), Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM), Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service (UMTS), Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) radio access networks; network transport; multiservice components; optical equipment; and virtualized server environments.
Support for the Latest IPv6 Standards
Across the world, enterprises, governments, and service providers are increasingly making the shift from the IPv4 standard to IPv6. As an example, the IP register and administrator American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) recently put out a statement advising the Internet community that migration to IPv6 is necessary for any applications that require ongoing availability from ARIN of contiguous IP number resources. IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime OMNIbus and Network Manager software monitors both the current IPv4 and the evolving IPv6 networks to support mixed and pure environments of any type. In addition, it uses cryptographic providers approved for FIPS Publication 140-2, a U.S. government computer security standard used to accredit cryptographic modules. These modules include IBMJCEFIPS (certificate 376), IBMJSSEFIPS (certificate 409), and IBM Crypto for C (certificate 384) for cryptography. Using approved cryptographic providers for FIPS 140-2 can help significantly ease security audits.
The IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime suite includes the following products:
● Tivoli Netcool ObjectServer: High-speed, memory resident database
● Tivoli Netcool WebGUI: Graphical user interface
● Tivoli Netcool Gateways: For integration with third-party applications including trouble-ticketing systems
● Tivoli Netcool Probes: Passive listeners, which manage the event flow processes
● Tivoli Netcool Network Manager: For heterogeneous network discovery and topology-based root-cause analysis
● Tivoli Netcool Impact: For event enrichment and automation
● Tivoli Common Reporting: Captures, analyzes, and presents data generated over time into meaningful historical reports
About Cisco Prime Software
The Cisco Prime portfolio of IT and service provider management offerings empower organizations to more effectively manage their networks and the services they deliver. Built on a service-centered foundation, Cisco Prime software supports integrated lifecycle management through an intuitive workflow-oriented user experience, providing A-to-Z management for Evolved Programmable Networks, mobility, video, and managed services.
For More Information
For more information about IBM Tivoli Netcool for Cisco Prime software:
● Visit http://www.cisco.com/go/cic
● Send an email message to ask firstname.lastname@example.org
● Contact your local Cisco account representative
For more information about Cisco Prime Software for carrier-grade networks, go to: